just another Microsoft quirk or two

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Although for the past 6 years I've done little more than just "fool" around
    with computers...
    I have been doing a lot of volunteer work lately and have been actually
    using a lot of software.

    After three months of work...I;ve completed a fairly good sized Publisher
    document.
    It's 1.2 gigs and really put my machine through a nice workout.

    Since I do all the work at home...I needed to get it to the originization
    that I volunteer for...
    and they will be printing it out on their laser-jet printers.

    Since it's too big for a CD and since the machines there do not have DVD
    drives...
    I ended up just using a file splitting utility...However before I did that I
    noticed that Publisher has an "export to other machine" feature.

    It will either span the document to floppies...or else compress it.

    What a laugh. Span a 1.2 gig document to floppies!!!

    The compression feature was even funnier. It compressed the 1.2gig file down
    to one that was 1.19 gigs!!!!

    Amazing!

    My second project was to create a video slide show using 300 images and 300
    transitions...
    Though I should have know better than to use the buit-in Windows Movie
    Maker...
    I have used it before for small videos and it did the job.

    Though it could handle the 300 images OK...
    when I added the transitions...the application bombed after about 150
    transitions or so.
    Even on a dual core CPU machine with 2 gigs of RAM...the application either
    crashes or produces a corrupted video.

    End of rant...I should have known better anyway <G>

    philo, Sep 17, 2007