Just another kernel upgrade...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. I've done a few Linux kernel upgrades, but so far none that successfully
    involved a third-party module.

    I thought I'd bite the bullet and try putting the newer 2.6.5-7.111.19
    kernel on the SuSE 9.1 installation on my Shuttle. The complication here
    is that it has an NVidia card, which requires a module from NVidia in
    order for the 3D acceleration to work.

    I did the basic kernel upgrade, which went OK, but after the reboot, my
    X server failed to start (couldn't load a driver for the graphics card).
    I also made sure to install the corresponding kernel-source and
    kernel-syms RPMs (and also made sure I kept the option to reboot with
    the old kernel), but I was stuck with character-mode consoles for now.

    I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run file (the latest
    version I could find at the NVidia site) and invoked it with the "sh"
    command as per the instructions. It only had a prebuilt module for the
    older 2.6.4-52 kernel, so it asked me if I wanted it to build one for my
    newer kernel. I said yes.

    At this point, it threw up an error message, saying it couldn't find a
    file called include/linux/kernel.h by following the symlink from
    /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.111.19-default/build, and so it had to abandon the
    installation. This smelled to me like a bug on NVidia's part, since
    kernel.h is part of the standard sources, whereas the build directory
    contains files which are generated dynamically by the kernel
    configuration system. So they were looking in the wrong place.

    Luckily, the NVidia package gives you the option to extract all the
    files in it without installing anything, in case you want to mess about
    with them. I did this and had a look, and found that it had put the
    module sources in a subdirectory called usr/src/nv, complete with a
    makefile. I went into that directory and typed "make". Nothing happened.

    Hmm... had a look in the makefile. Ah, found a likely-looking target
    named "default". So I typed "make default". Yup, a whole bunch of
    compiler commands go whizzing past. Seconds later, I have a look ... and
    I have a new file called nvidia.ko. Looks good!

    Had a look in /lib/modules/2.6.4-52-default, and the module for the old
    version was in kernel/drivers/video. So I copied the new one to the
    corresponding location under /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.111.19-default.
    Rebooted ... crossed my fingers ...

    The usual boot messages come up. The "NVIDIA" logo flashes up, then the
    KDE watch cursor appears, and a few seconds later I have my usual GUI
    login screen. Success!

    It's all learning, and the next time I'll get paid for doing it. :)
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:57:23 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > The usual boot messages come up. The "NVIDIA" logo flashes up, then the
    > KDE watch cursor appears, and a few seconds later I have my usual GUI
    > login screen. Success!

    Congratulations! :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"
    , Jan 3, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:57:23 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > The usual boot messages come up. The "NVIDIA" logo flashes up, then the
    > KDE watch cursor appears, and a few seconds later I have my usual GUI
    > login screen. Success!

    Congratulations! :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"
    , Jan 3, 2005
  4. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Steve Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > I've done a few Linux kernel upgrades, but so far none that successfully
    > involved a third-party module.
    >
    > I thought I'd bite the bullet and try putting the newer 2.6.5-7.111.19
    > kernel on the SuSE 9.1 installation on my Shuttle. The complication here
    > is that it has an NVidia card, which requires a module from NVidia in
    > order for the 3D acceleration to work.
    >
    > I did the basic kernel upgrade, which went OK, but after the reboot, my
    > X server failed to start (couldn't load a driver for the graphics card).
    > I also made sure to install the corresponding kernel-source and
    > kernel-syms RPMs (and also made sure I kept the option to reboot with
    > the old kernel), but I was stuck with character-mode consoles for now.
    >
    > I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run file (the latest
    > version I could find at the NVidia site) and invoked it with the "sh"
    > command as per the instructions. It only had a prebuilt module for the
    > older 2.6.4-52 kernel, so it asked me if I wanted it to build one for my
    > newer kernel. I said yes.
    >
    > At this point, it threw up an error message, saying it couldn't find a
    > file called include/linux/kernel.h by following the symlink from
    > /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.111.19-default/build, and so it had to abandon the
    > installation. This smelled to me like a bug on NVidia's part, since
    > kernel.h is part of the standard sources, whereas the build directory
    > contains files which are generated dynamically by the kernel
    > configuration system. So they were looking in the wrong place.
    >
    > Luckily, the NVidia package gives you the option to extract all the
    > files in it without installing anything, in case you want to mess about
    > with them. I did this and had a look, and found that it had put the
    > module sources in a subdirectory called usr/src/nv, complete with a
    > makefile. I went into that directory and typed "make". Nothing happened.
    >
    > Hmm... had a look in the makefile. Ah, found a likely-looking target
    > named "default". So I typed "make default". Yup, a whole bunch of
    > compiler commands go whizzing past. Seconds later, I have a look ... and
    > I have a new file called nvidia.ko. Looks good!
    >
    > Had a look in /lib/modules/2.6.4-52-default, and the module for the old
    > version was in kernel/drivers/video. So I copied the new one to the
    > corresponding location under /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.111.19-default.
    > Rebooted ... crossed my fingers ...
    >
    > The usual boot messages come up. The "NVIDIA" logo flashes up, then the
    > KDE watch cursor appears, and a few seconds later I have my usual GUI
    > login screen. Success!
    >
    > It's all learning, and the next time I'll get paid for doing it. :)

    Hmmm...
    1. Nivida drivers version 6111 is old. Current is 6629. See
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6629.html and follow.

    2. Kernel version 2.6.5 is old. Current is 2.6.10. See
    http://www.kernel.org/

    3. You need to install the new kernel headers as well as the new kernel
    to get it to build. As documented.

    4. Were you connected to the internet? It would have downloaded a
    running module for a kernel that old if you'd been installing a current
    version.

    Paid for not reading the documentation and attempting to install old
    versions of both kernel and nvidia drivers... not by me, that's for sure.

    Steve.
    Steve, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Jan 3, 2005
  6. In article <crb3pg$k1l$>, Steve <>
    wrote:

    >4. Were you connected to the internet?

    Yes.

    >It would have downloaded a
    >running module for a kernel that old if you'd been installing a current
    >version.

    No.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > The usual boot messages come up. The "NVIDIA" logo flashes up, then the
    > KDE watch cursor appears, and a few seconds later I have my usual GUI
    > login screen. Success!
    >
    > It's all learning, and the next time I'll get paid for doing it. :)

    Well done.

    I rarely have trouble adding the Nvidia support after a kernel compile, but
    if I ever do I'll try and remember your post. :)
    steve, Jan 4, 2005