    The same KB update for Vista x64 is around 12 megs and the one for the "old"
    XP x86 a mere 8 megs.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 13, 2007

  2. this update is the same for win xp 64 and w2k3 x64
    so from what i get of it this file contains 2 different set of the update.
    One for xp64 and one for w2k3 xp64.That x64 files for xp64 and w2k3 x64 is 2x
    + the sinze of normal i86 files are normal
    correct me if im wrong

    Kristian

    =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpc3RpYW4gVG9sbGVmc2Vu?=, Jun 14, 2007

  3. Hi:
    Just for the sake of investigation, I uncompressed the 35 megs installation
    file (IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB933566-x64-ENU.exe) ending up with
    almost 100 MB of files.
    There are two folders, one named SP2GDR and the other SP2QFE, both 45 megs.
    The iexplore.exe file in the first one is v7.0.6000.16473 and the other is
    v7.0.6000.20583
    I don't know how to interpret these results.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 15, 2007
  4. Hm, this is interesting - it's probably true, like Kristian says that the
    updates target more versions, but perhaps too there is some inconsistency
    revealed in the fact that some files compress quite a bit more than others.
    Binary files, generally don't compress as well and the update may have quite
    a bit more of those than the original installation.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 15, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    Theo Guest

    General Distribution Release (GDR)

    Quick Fix Engineering (QFE)

    I don't know the details, but the above came from a search
    of Microsoft for just the three initials.

    From Google: Quick Fix Engineering (QFE) provides timely
    solutions to specific functionality limitations.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935897 for more detail
    on General Distribution Release.

    General distribution release (GDR)

    • A GDR addresses an issue that has a broad customer
    impact, that has security implications, or that has both. A
    GDR is determined and issued by Microsoft as appropriate and
    when appropriate. GDRs are kept to a minimum.

    • A GDR cannot be requested by a customer. Microsoft
    internally determines whether a reported hotfix is
    classified as and delivered as a GDR.

    • A GDR is released through the download center. A GDR is
    also released through Microsoft Update, through Windows
    Update, or through both.

    Theo, Jun 15, 2007
  6. Thanks for the info, Theo.
    FWIW, v7.0.6000.16473 is the one installed in XP x64.
    Both in Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 15, 2007