    restored to that point and all is well. It took a lot less time than
    it would have to have gone to the registry etc. After it restarted the
    icon for the speakers was back.
    joevan, Nov 1, 2010

  2. joevan

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: joevan
    <> wrote:

    > The speaker icon disappeared from my task bar so I googled and didn't
    > like the complicated roundabout ways of getting it back. So I went to
    > restore and noticed that there had been an update in the morning and
    > it may have had something to do with my new Olympus camera stuff. So I
    > restored to that point and all is well. It took a lot less time than
    > it would have to have gone to the registry etc. After it restarted the
    > icon for the speakers was back.

    If you're using Windows XP, all you need to do to get the speaker icon
    back is

    Go to Control Panel, open "Sounds and Audio Devices".

    If the checkbox "Place volume icon in the taskbar" isn't checked, check
    it and press the "OK" button.

    If it is checked, uncheck it, press the "Apply" button, check it and
    press the "OK" button.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 1, 2010

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On 01 Nov 2010 17:26:23 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    >In news: joevan
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> The speaker icon disappeared from my task bar so I googled and didn't
    >> like the complicated roundabout ways of getting it back. So I went to
    >> restore and noticed that there had been an update in the morning and
    >> it may have had something to do with my new Olympus camera stuff. So I
    >> restored to that point and all is well. It took a lot less time than
    >> it would have to have gone to the registry etc. After it restarted the
    >> icon for the speakers was back.

    >If you're using Windows XP, all you need to do to get the speaker icon
    >back is
    >
    >Go to Control Panel, open "Sounds and Audio Devices".
    >
    >If the checkbox "Place volume icon in the taskbar" isn't checked, check
    >it and press the "OK" button.
    >
    >If it is checked, uncheck it, press the "Apply" button, check it and
    >press the "OK" button.

    Sorry I meant to say win 7 and forgot.
    joevan, Nov 1, 2010
  4. joevan

    philo Guest

    On 11/01/2010 12:59 PM, joevan wrote:
    > On 01 Nov 2010 17:26:23 GMT, Bert Hyman<> wrote:
    >
    >> In news: joevan
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The speaker icon disappeared from my task bar so I googled and didn't
    >>> like the complicated roundabout ways of getting it back. So I went to
    >>> restore and noticed that there had been an update in the morning and
    >>> it may have had something to do with my new Olympus camera stuff. So I
    >>> restored to that point and all is well. It took a lot less time than
    >>> it would have to have gone to the registry etc. After it restarted the
    >>> icon for the speakers was back.

    >> If you're using Windows XP, all you need to do to get the speaker icon
    >> back is
    >>
    >> Go to Control Panel, open "Sounds and Audio Devices".
    >>
    >> If the checkbox "Place volume icon in the taskbar" isn't checked, check
    >> it and press the "OK" button.
    >>
    >> If it is checked, uncheck it, press the "Apply" button, check it and
    >> press the "OK" button.

    > Sorry I meant to say win 7 and forgot.

    It would not matter as it's the same for Win7...

    but at least you go it fixed
    philo, Nov 1, 2010
  5. joevan

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/1/2010 3:49 PM Just to please that super-ego, philo wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On 11/01/2010 12:59 PM, joevan wrote:
    >> On 01 Nov 2010 17:26:23 GMT, Bert Hyman<> wrote:

    >>> If you're using Windows XP, all you need to do to get the speaker icon
    >>> back is
    >>>
    >>> Go to Control Panel, open "Sounds and Audio Devices".
    >>>
    >>> If the checkbox "Place volume icon in the taskbar" isn't checked, check
    >>> it and press the "OK" button.
    >>>
    >>> If it is checked, uncheck it, press the "Apply" button, check it and
    >>> press the "OK" button.

    >> Sorry I meant to say win 7 and forgot.

    > It would not matter as it's the same for Win7...
    >
    > but at least you go it fixed

    I see where WinXP is going to be honored by MS until 2014, and I usually
    keep them 5-6 years after that. My computer is well equipped to handle
    Win7, but is there any real good reason for me to go with Win7 when they
    are already talking about Win8? I skipped everything between Win98 &
    WinXP, and never even looked at Vista.

    Mon 01 November 2010, 04:06 PM --500 (Central Daylight Time)

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Nov 1, 2010
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 16:06:41 -0500, OldGringo38
    <> wrote:

    >On 11/1/2010 3:49 PM Just to please that super-ego, philo wrote the
    >following tidbit of information:

    >>> Sorry I meant to say win 7 and forgot.

    >> It would not matter as it's the same for Win7...
    >>
    >> but at least you go it fixed

    >I see where WinXP is going to be honored by MS until 2014, and I usually
    >keep them 5-6 years after that. My computer is well equipped to handle
    >Win7, but is there any real good reason for me to go with Win7 when they
    >are already talking about Win8? I skipped everything between Win98 &
    >WinXP, and never even looked at Vista.
    >
    >Mon 01 November 2010, 04:06 PM --500 (Central Daylight Time)

    You wise man. Vista was a PITA.
    joevan, Nov 1, 2010
  7. joevan

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 11/1/2010 5:20 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 16:06:41 -0500, OldGringo38
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/1/2010 3:49 PM Just to please that super-ego, philo wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> It would not matter as it's the same for Win7...
    >>>
    >>> but at least you go it fixed

    >> I see where WinXP is going to be honored by MS until 2014, and I usually
    >> keep them 5-6 years after that. My computer is well equipped to handle
    >> Win7, but is there any real good reason for me to go with Win7 when they
    >> are already talking about Win8? I skipped everything between Win98&
    >> WinXP, and never even looked at Vista.
    >>
    >> Mon 01 November 2010, 04:06 PM --500 (Central Daylight Time)

    > You wise man. Vista was a PITA.

    I am quite pleased with WinXP Pro, and all I do with it is email, BS
    here and spend money on Amazon. <G>

    OldGringo38, Nov 1, 2010
  8. joevan

    Hot-Text Guest

    If he did that he would have save some of his new Olympus camera update
    stuff!

    Hot-Text, Nov 2, 2010
  9. joevan

    Hot-Text Guest

    Sorry I meant to say for All Windows and forgot!

    Hot-Text, Nov 2, 2010
  10. joevan

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:36:14 -0400, joevan wrote:

    > The speaker icon disappeared from my task bar so I googled and didn't
    > like the complicated roundabout ways of getting it back. So I went to
    > restore and noticed that there had been an update in the morning and it
    > may have had something to do with my new Olympus camera stuff. So I
    > restored to that point and all is well. It took a lot less time than it
    > would have to have gone to the registry etc. After it restarted the icon
    > for the speakers was back.

    Turn off updates.

    Meat Plow, Nov 2, 2010
  11. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:38:06 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:36:14 -0400, joevan wrote:
    >
    >> The speaker icon disappeared from my task bar so I googled and didn't
    >> like the complicated roundabout ways of getting it back. So I went to
    >> restore and noticed that there had been an update in the morning and it
    >> may have had something to do with my new Olympus camera stuff. So I
    >> restored to that point and all is well. It took a lot less time than it
    >> would have to have gone to the registry etc. After it restarted the icon
    >> for the speakers was back.

    >Turn off updates.

    I really turned off updates for that ridiculous piece of crap. I
    uninstalled it. Olympus ib is a pita. I just transfer my pics
    manually. Who needs redundancy and insanity in a program. I have
    photoshop if I need any photo tweaking.
    joevan, Nov 2, 2010