Just a thought :)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10391066
    omputer works through 'power of thought'

    9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
    By Patricia Reaney

    LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
    computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by thinking
    about doing it, a team of scientists said today.

    They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes in
    the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
    illnesses.

    __EOP__

    This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
    shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter gunships

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Shane

    Shank Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10391066
    > omputer works through 'power of thought'
    >
    > 9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
    > By Patricia Reaney
    >
    > LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
    > computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by thinking
    > about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
    >
    > They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes in
    > the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
    > illnesses.
    >
    > __EOP__
    >
    > This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
    > shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter gunships

    But wouldn't you have to recognise the target first? Unless your
    thinking is "Shoot anything that's not me". Problem for friendly forces
    there.

    B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
    UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
    dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
    separate words.

    --
    Rob

    In poker you have to show your hand eventually if called. So far SCO
    have with great reluctance shown only one card, which turned out to be
    "Mr Bun, The Baker". -- Electric Dragon on groklaw.net

    Shank, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shank wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10391066
    >> omputer works through 'power of thought'
    >>
    >> 9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
    >> By Patricia Reaney
    >>
    >> LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
    >> computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by
    >> thinking about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
    >>
    >> They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes
    >> in the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
    >> illnesses.
    >>
    >> __EOP__
    >>
    >> This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
    >> shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter
    >> gunships
    >>

    > But wouldn't you have to recognise the target first? Unless your
    > thinking is "Shoot anything that's not me". Problem for friendly forces
    > there.

    With the apache system you still have to pull the trigger, just the
    targetting is done with the helmet
    It would get a bit dicey otherwise :)

    > B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
    > UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
    > dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
    > separate words.

    http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/dictionaries.html

    See if that helps
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Shane

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:50:59 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    exclaimed:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10391066
    >omputer works through 'power of thought'
    >
    >9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
    >By Patricia Reaney
    >
    >LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
    >computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by thinking
    >about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
    >
    >They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting electrodes in
    >the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
    >illnesses.
    >
    >__EOP__
    >
    >This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
    >shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter gunships

    And think of the gaming!!!

    Fred Dagg, Jul 13, 2006
  5. Shane

    Jerry Guest

    Shank wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10391066
    >> omputer works through 'power of thought'
    >>
    >> 9.00am Thursday July 13, 2006
    >> By Patricia Reaney
    >>
    >> LONDON - A paralysed man using a new brain sensor has been able to move a
    >> computer cursor, open email and control a robotic device simply by
    >> thinking
    >> about doing it, a team of scientists said today.
    >>
    >> They believe the BrainGate sensor, which involves implanting
    >> electrodes in
    >> the brain, could offer new hope to people paralysed by injuries or
    >> illnesses.
    >>
    >> __EOP__
    >>
    >> This would have brilliant military applications, think which target to
    >> shoot, faster than the head/eye movement in the apache helicopter
    >> gunships
    >>

    > But wouldn't you have to recognise the target first? Unless your
    > thinking is "Shoot anything that's not me". Problem for friendly forces
    > there.
    >
    > B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
    > UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
    > dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
    > separate words.

    That is strange, Thunderbird is a good US word.
    http://bumwine.com/tbird.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird

    Just don't mix the two, actually you might be better off is you avoid
    the first one

    Jerry, Jul 13, 2006
  6. Shane

    Shank Guest

    Shane wrote:

    >> B.... Thunderbird sees "recognise" as a spelling mistake. I'm sure it is
    >> UK/NZ correct. Only gives "English/US" dictionary choice. Is there a UK
    >> dictionary available? Lol, doesn't recognise Thunderbird except as 2
    >> separate words.
    >>

    > http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/dictionaries.html
    >
    > See if that helps

    Doncha just luv usenet?