    lay it on its side to fit into a desk space?

    thanks

    me

    Keeker_1, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Keeker_1

    Plato Guest

    Keeker_1 wrote:

    > Hello there, i was just wondering if I had a mini-tower computer, could i
    > lay it on its side to fit into a desk space?

    Sure, the problem will be using cd disks tho.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Keeker_1

    John Holmes Guest

    Keeker_1 blabbered in alt.computer:

    > Hello there, i was just wondering if I had a mini-tower computer, could

    > lay it on its side to fit into a desk space?
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > me

    The major problem you will encounter is that the harddisk(s) will wear
    out faster. Harddisks are designed to operate horizontally, not
    vertically. It will reduce the life of your harddisk(s) with about 10%.
    Also refer to Plato's reply about the CDR's.

    --
    Your mother was a giant harpy who ate worms with the help of volunteer
    workers.

    John Holmes, Oct 2, 2005
  4. it may block air vents.

    Darlene Shelton, Oct 3, 2005
  5. Keeker_1

    The One Guest

    > The major problem you will encounter is that the harddisk(s) will wear
    > out faster. Harddisks are designed to operate horizontally, not
    > vertically. It will reduce the life of your harddisk(s) with about 10%.
    > Also refer to Plato's reply about the CDR's.

    Biggest load of crap I have ever heard in my life.

    The One, Oct 3, 2005
  6. Keeker_1

    The One Guest

    "Keeker_1" <> wrote in message
    > Hello there, i was just wondering if I had a mini-tower computer, could i
    > lay it on its side to fit into a desk space?

    Ignore these dickheads, It can be used on its side without any differences,
    a CD drive will play and load discs horizontally. I have been doing it this
    way for years when testing systems without a problem.

    The One, Oct 3, 2005
  7. Keeker_1

    Brian Guest

    I agree it will work fine in either position. I have seen both harddrives
    and cd/dvd players in either position working correctly. The point about
    blocking the vent was a good one though. As long as the airflow is good you
    should be fine in either position. Some CD players even have moveable tabs
    to hold the disk in place when inserted ...check for that if your cd's dont
    stay in when you try to close the door.

    Brian, Oct 4, 2005
  8. Keeker_1

    Plato Guest

    The One wrote:

    > > The major problem you will encounter is that the harddisk(s) will wear
    > > out faster. Harddisks are designed to operate horizontally, not
    > > vertically. It will reduce the life of your harddisk(s) with about 10%.
    > > Also refer to Plato's reply about the CDR's.

    > Biggest load of crap I have ever heard in my life.

    Assume you're referencing the horizontal/verticle thing. I recall a few
    brands of pcs way back that had the HDDs in verticle. Forget the brand,
    but it was a compact desktop with the floppy and cd drive in the only
    two external bays and he hdd drive butted up next to it sideways.
    Personally, I never thought it was an issue.

    Plato, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Keeker_1

    Plato Guest

    The One wrote:

    > > Hello there, i was just wondering if I had a mini-tower computer, could i
    > > lay it on its side to fit into a desk space?

    > Ignore these dickheads, It can be used on its side without any differences,
    > a CD drive will play and load discs horizontally. I have been doing it this
    > way for years when testing systems without a problem.

    But getting the cd disks in is harder, and often you end up with the
    drawer closing on the disk, ie not good.

    Plato, Oct 5, 2005
  10. Keeker_1

    The One Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > The One wrote:
    > >
    > > > The major problem you will encounter is that the harddisk(s) will wear
    > > > out faster. Harddisks are designed to operate horizontally, not
    > > > vertically. It will reduce the life of your harddisk(s) with about

    10%.
    > > > Also refer to Plato's reply about the CDR's.

    > > Biggest load of crap I have ever heard in my life.

    > Assume you're referencing the horizontal/verticle thing. I recall a few
    > brands of pcs way back that had the HDDs in verticle. Forget the brand,
    > but it was a compact desktop with the floppy and cd drive in the only
    > two external bays and he hdd drive butted up next to it sideways.
    > Personally, I never thought it was an issue.

    It isnt....

    The One, Oct 5, 2005
  11. Keeker_1

    The One Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > The One wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello there, i was just wondering if I had a mini-tower computer,

    could i
    > > > lay it on its side to fit into a desk space?

    > > Ignore these dickheads, It can be used on its side without any

    differences,
    > > a CD drive will play and load discs horizontally. I have been doing it

    this
    > > way for years when testing systems without a problem.

    > But getting the cd disks in is harder, and often you end up with the
    > drawer closing on the disk, ie not good.

    Most if not all CD drives of all descriptions will hold a CD vertically in
    the tray.

    The One, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Keeker_1

    Plato Guest

    The One wrote:

    > > > Biggest load of crap I have ever heard in my life.

    > > Assume you're referencing the horizontal/verticle thing. I recall a few
    > > brands of pcs way back that had the HDDs in verticle. Forget the brand,
    > > but it was a compact desktop with the floppy and cd drive in the only
    > > two external bays and he hdd drive butted up next to it sideways.
    > > Personally, I never thought it was an issue.
    > >

    > It isnt....

    Either way gravity is pulling down on the bearing. Makes me wonder if
    the HDD was in on a 45 degree angle if the load would be
    equalized-minimized each way :)

    Plato, Oct 6, 2005
  13. Keeker_1

    Plato Guest

    The One wrote:

    > > But getting the cd disks in is harder, and often you end up with the
    > > drawer closing on the disk, ie not good.

    > Most if not all CD drives of all descriptions will hold a CD vertically in
    > the tray.

    Except for every pc I work on it seems when I have it laying flat and
    have to put a cd in :)

    Plato, Oct 6, 2005
  14. Keeker_1

    Fakename Guest