    can you then delete the spam message. Will Thunderbird remember that
    it was spam? If so, what is it remembering? Just the header? Words
    in the text?
    Kenneth Grimm, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Hey,

    Kenneth Grimm wrote:
    > When does the Junk "training" process take place in Thunderbird? At
    > the time you click on the Junk icon? After you have clicked on Junk
    > can you then delete the spam message. Will Thunderbird remember that
    > it was spam? If so, what is it remembering? Just the header? Words
    > in the text?

    based on what I know of this type of spam filters - I suppose it's a
    "Bayesian filter" - I'd strongly assume that there is a corpus of key
    words that is being built up everytime you click the Junk icon - i.e.,
    the frequency of the words of the message (headers and body) is being
    remembered - and therefore it's no problem to delete the message afterwards.

    Hope that helps,

    Al
    Alexander Fischer, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Kenneth Grimm

    Moz Champion Guest

    Alexander Fischer wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > Kenneth Grimm wrote:
    >
    >> When does the Junk "training" process take place in Thunderbird? At
    >> the time you click on the Junk icon? After you have clicked on Junk
    >> can you then delete the spam message. Will Thunderbird remember that
    >> it was spam? If so, what is it remembering? Just the header? Words
    >> in the text?

    > based on what I know of this type of spam filters - I suppose it's a
    > "Bayesian filter" - I'd strongly assume that there is a corpus of key
    > words that is being built up everytime you click the Junk icon - i.e.,
    > the frequency of the words of the message (headers and body) is being
    > remembered - and therefore it's no problem to delete the message
    > afterwards.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    >
    > Al

    Correct. its a Baysien filter. It learns as it goes, it looks at
    multiple aspects of the message, not just words. the training file is
    training.dat in your profile.

    JMC 'learns' when you mark the message, or unmark the message. It doesnt
    matter what you do after that.

    JMC doesnt try to 'remember' a spam, it learns. It compares the message
    to its training.dat file and rates it. At a specific level it is marked
    as spam.

    You can even have JMC automatically delete (or move to trash) messages,
    tho thats not really recommended for the automatic setting. Especially
    when first training, hold and review the spam to ensure that there are
    no false positives. It may catch one or two messages that it thinks as
    spam, when you ummark such (because they are not spam) it assists in the
    learning curve.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Oct 20, 2004
  4. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:46:16 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >Alexander Fischer wrote:
    >
    >> Hey,
    >>
    >> Kenneth Grimm wrote:
    >>
    >>> When does the Junk "training" process take place in Thunderbird? At
    >>> the time you click on the Junk icon? After you have clicked on Junk
    >>> can you then delete the spam message. Will Thunderbird remember that
    >>> it was spam? If so, what is it remembering? Just the header? Words
    >>> in the text?

    >> based on what I know of this type of spam filters - I suppose it's a
    >> "Bayesian filter" - I'd strongly assume that there is a corpus of key
    >> words that is being built up everytime you click the Junk icon - i.e.,
    >> the frequency of the words of the message (headers and body) is being
    >> remembered - and therefore it's no problem to delete the message
    >> afterwards.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps,
    >>
    >> Al

    >Correct. its a Baysien filter. It learns as it goes, it looks at
    >multiple aspects of the message, not just words. the training file is
    >training.dat in your profile.
    >
    >JMC 'learns' when you mark the message, or unmark the message. It doesnt
    >matter what you do after that.
    >
    >JMC doesnt try to 'remember' a spam, it learns. It compares the message
    >to its training.dat file and rates it. At a specific level it is marked
    >as spam.
    >
    >You can even have JMC automatically delete (or move to trash) messages,
    >tho thats not really recommended for the automatic setting. Especially
    >when first training, hold and review the spam to ensure that there are
    >no false positives. It may catch one or two messages that it thinks as
    >spam, when you ummark such (because they are not spam) it assists in the
    >learning curve.

    Thanks very much for confirming my suspicions. I've got it dumping
    suspected junk into the junk folder. So far only a couple of false
    positives in about a week.
    Thanks again.
    Kenneth Grimm, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Kenneth Grimm

    Brian Guest

    (On 10/19/2004 10:05 PM) Kenneth Grimm wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:46:16 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Alexander Fischer wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey,

    >>>based on what I know of this type of spam filters - I suppose it's a
    >>>"Bayesian filter" - I'd strongly assume that there is a corpus of key
    >>>words that is being built up everytime you click the Junk icon - i.e.,
    >>>the frequency of the words of the message (headers and body) is being
    >>>remembered - and therefore it's no problem to delete the message
    >>>afterwards.
    >>>
    >>>Hope that helps,
    >>>
    >>>Al

    >>Correct. its a Baysien filter. It learns as it goes, it looks at
    >>multiple aspects of the message, not just words. the training file is
    >>training.dat in your profile.
    >>
    >>JMC 'learns' when you mark the message, or unmark the message. It doesnt
    >>matter what you do after that.
    >>
    >>JMC doesnt try to 'remember' a spam, it learns. It compares the message
    >>to its training.dat file and rates it. At a specific level it is marked
    >>as spam.
    >>
    >>You can even have JMC automatically delete (or move to trash) messages,
    >>tho thats not really recommended for the automatic setting. Especially
    >>when first training, hold and review the spam to ensure that there are
    >>no false positives. It may catch one or two messages that it thinks as
    >>spam, when you ummark such (because they are not spam) it assists in the
    >>learning curve.

    > Thanks very much for confirming my suspicions. I've got it dumping
    > suspected junk into the junk folder. So far only a couple of false
    > positives in about a week.
    > Thanks again.

    It's equally important to mark messages 'Not Junk'. If there is a false
    positive, be sure to mark that message properly. I'd also recommend
    turning on the option in JMC that stops it from marking messages as junk
    if they are in your address book.
    --
    Cheers...

    Brian