    --

    Keep Smiling
    Mary :)
    Mary Geoffrion, Sep 7, 2003

    http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html

    Dealing With Junk Email
    http://www.jcrdesign.com/junkemaildeal.html

    The SPAM-L FAQ
    http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/index.html

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:06:57 -0400, in
    <>
    Mary Geoffrion scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 7, 2003

  3. Mary Geoffrion

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    Go to www.firetrust.com and take a look at Mail Washer Pro and it's
    companion program Benign.
    Mailwasher allows you to screen the e-mail waiting for you on your ISP's
    Mail Server and delete
    those messages you don't want.....Benign looks at the e-mails you actually
    download and cleans them
    up. In other words, if your receive a HTML E-mail with photos and pictures,
    (.gif files) it is possible for
    a malicious sender to embed scripts and other nasty stuff within the
    pictures. Benign cleans that out.
    A good test is the CNET e-mails, mine come through with all the .gif files
    removed!
    A good anit-virus program, Norton or McAfee (your choice) also screens
    incoming and outgoing
    e-mail for viruses. This rounds out your defenses.
    Mail Washer and Benign are not freeware and do cost money. However it is
    money well spent.
    You won't regret it.
    This is how you eliminate Spam e-mails.
    Also, whatever you do, do NOT reply to a Spam E-mail and ask to be removed
    from their list!
    It is kind of like bulk mail, we don't know if all the addresses are good so
    we get some returned.
    Spam E-mail is sent out on a much larger scale, millions at a time. If you
    reply you are telling them
    you are a "live" address and the mail from them will increase.
    If you are using Internet Explorer 6, go to tools, internet options and set
    security to Custom. Allow all
    first party "cookies" and set third party "cookies" to "Prompt. The cookies
    are forms of spyware and
    contribute to Spam e-mail. You will be surprised at how many sites want to
    place hitbox, double click,
    fast click, etc on your computer, reject them all.
    DennisC

    Computer Guy, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Mary Geoffrion

    jeroen Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > is there a way to stop junk mail. I am getting on average 50 junk e-mails
    > per day.

    1. munge your adres
    2. stop using outlook
    3. really!
    4. treat your address with care
    5. get a mailfilter that supports client side dnsbl filtering
    (mailwasher)

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands