    my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox and only 20 marked
    as junk.

    Any ideas?

    Chili, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Chili

    totsob Guest

    Chili wrote:
    > Using TB - junk mail filter was working great, then all of a sudden it
    > fails to mark most junk mail.
    >
    > By way of example, most mornings I download about 150 messages - 140 of
    > which are junk. TB had been filtering most of them to my designated
    > folder such that I would get about 130 junk messages and 20 messages
    > that stay in my inbox. Now, all of a sudden, and with no adjustment on
    > my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox and only 20 marked
    > as junk.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Wish I had some idea. Mine has hardly ever filtered out any mail, even
    blatantly obvious spam. It is definitely not "learning". I also would
    appreciate some input. Though I rarely use my other computers, I believe
    the junk mail function is operating normally on the others.

    Gregg

    totsob, Jan 27, 2005

  3. Chili wrote:
    > Using TB - junk mail filter was working great, then all of a sudden it
    > fails to mark most junk mail.
    >
    > By way of example, most mornings I download about 150 messages - 140 of
    > which are junk. TB had been filtering most of them to my designated
    > folder such that I would get about 130 junk messages and 20 messages
    > that stay in my inbox. Now, all of a sudden, and with no adjustment on
    > my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox and only 20 marked
    > as junk.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I had the same problem. All of a sudden the junk mail filters stopped
    filtering some, but not all, obvious spam. I went to the Tools > Junk
    Mail Controls > Adaptive Filter and pressed the "Reset Training Data"
    button. This corrected the problem but I'd love to know why the problem
    began.

    Martin

    Martin Feeney, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Chili

    Moz Champion Guest

    totsob wrote:

    > Chili wrote:
    >
    >> Using TB - junk mail filter was working great, then all of a sudden it
    >> fails to mark most junk mail.
    >>
    >> By way of example, most mornings I download about 150 messages - 140
    >> of which are junk. TB had been filtering most of them to my
    >> designated folder such that I would get about 130 junk messages and 20
    >> messages that stay in my inbox. Now, all of a sudden, and with no
    >> adjustment on my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox and
    >> only 20 marked as junk.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Wish I had some idea. Mine has hardly ever filtered out any mail, even
    > blatantly obvious spam. It is definitely not "learning". I also would
    > appreciate some input. Though I rarely use my other computers, I believe
    > the junk mail function is operating normally on the others.
    >
    > Gregg

    You have to teach JMC by telling it which ones are Junk (and which ones
    are not Junk if it thinks they are). Have you been doing that?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Chili

    Moz Champion Guest

    Martin Feeney wrote:

    > Chili wrote:
    >
    >> Using TB - junk mail filter was working great, then all of a sudden it
    >> fails to mark most junk mail.
    >>
    >> By way of example, most mornings I download about 150 messages - 140
    >> of which are junk. TB had been filtering most of them to my
    >> designated folder such that I would get about 130 junk messages and 20
    >> messages that stay in my inbox. Now, all of a sudden, and with no
    >> adjustment on my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox and
    >> only 20 marked as junk.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > I had the same problem. All of a sudden the junk mail filters stopped
    > filtering some, but not all, obvious spam. I went to the Tools > Junk
    > Mail Controls > Adaptive Filter and pressed the "Reset Training Data"
    > button. This corrected the problem but I'd love to know why the problem
    > began.
    >
    > Martin

    Why do most computer problems begin? Who knows. If its not a 'common'
    problem then usually there is not enough data on the failure to even
    begin to diagnose why, so its simply a guesstimate as to what caused it
    in the first place.

    If you can create a situation in which the fault can be reliably
    re-created, then it becomes a program 'fault', but random events are
    much more difficult to fault find.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Chili

    totsob Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > totsob wrote:
    >
    >> Chili wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using TB - junk mail filter was working great, then all of a sudden
    >>> it fails to mark most junk mail.
    >>>
    >>> By way of example, most mornings I download about 150 messages - 140
    >>> of which are junk. TB had been filtering most of them to my
    >>> designated folder such that I would get about 130 junk messages and
    >>> 20 messages that stay in my inbox. Now, all of a sudden, and with no
    >>> adjustment on my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox
    >>> and only 20 marked as junk.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Wish I had some idea. Mine has hardly ever filtered out any mail, even
    >> blatantly obvious spam. It is definitely not "learning". I also would
    >> appreciate some input. Though I rarely use my other computers, I
    >> believe the junk mail function is operating normally on the others.
    >>
    >> Gregg

    > You have to teach JMC by telling it which ones are Junk (and which ones
    > are not Junk if it thinks they are). Have you been doing that?

    Yes, I do that with each one I see. I do like that they immediately go
    to the trash bin when this is performed.

    Gregg

    totsob, Jan 28, 2005
  7. Chili

    Chili Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Martin Feeney wrote:
    >
    >> Chili wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using TB - junk mail filter was working great, then all of a sudden
    >>> it fails to mark most junk mail.
    >>>
    >>> By way of example, most mornings I download about 150 messages - 140
    >>> of which are junk. TB had been filtering most of them to my
    >>> designated folder such that I would get about 130 junk messages and
    >>> 20 messages that stay in my inbox. Now, all of a sudden, and with no
    >>> adjustment on my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox
    >>> and only 20 marked as junk.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> I had the same problem. All of a sudden the junk mail filters stopped
    >> filtering some, but not all, obvious spam. I went to the Tools > Junk
    >> Mail Controls > Adaptive Filter and pressed the "Reset Training Data"
    >> button. This corrected the problem but I'd love to know why the
    >> problem began.
    >>
    >> Martin

    > Why do most computer problems begin? Who knows. If its not a 'common'
    > problem then usually there is not enough data on the failure to even
    > begin to diagnose why, so its simply a guesstimate as to what caused it
    > in the first place.
    >
    > If you can create a situation in which the fault can be reliably
    > re-created, then it becomes a program 'fault', but random events are
    > much more difficult to fault find.

    Doesn't resetting training data just make you mark the stuff you have
    already marked as junk again?

    Chili, Jan 28, 2005
  8. Chili <> wrote in news:c5ydnfT_6v9Uc2XcRVn-
    :

    > Using TB - junk mail filter was working great, then all of a sudden it
    > fails to mark most junk mail.
    >
    > By way of example, most mornings I download about 150 messages - 140 of
    > which are junk. TB had been filtering most of them to my designated
    > folder such that I would get about 130 junk messages and 20 messages
    > that stay in my inbox. Now, all of a sudden, and with no adjustment on
    > my part, I come in to about 130 messages in my inbox and only 20 marked
    > as junk.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Are most of them about cheap software, drugs, and home mortgages? If so
    then you're getting hit by the same son of a bitch spammer that I am.
    The spamming turd changed a few things about his spams so they would
    avoid filters. Just mark all of them as spam and hope for the best.

    --
    Meet the f'loons:

    Lady Motown: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=185542
    Deggie: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=181922
    Pam: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=180995
    Kenny: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=181357
    John: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=181326
    Keesha: http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=181273

    "HIAY HU WANTZ 2 FEELL MAI TITS?////" - Britney Spears discovers the
    internet.

    Farting Frogbutt, Jan 28, 2005
  9. Chili

    Moz Champion Guest

    totsob wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> totsob wrote:

    >>> Wish I had some idea. Mine has hardly ever filtered out any mail,
    >>> even blatantly obvious spam. It is definitely not "learning". I also
    >>> would appreciate some input. Though I rarely use my other computers,
    >>> I believe the junk mail function is operating normally on the others.
    >>>
    >>> Gregg

    >> You have to teach JMC by telling it which ones are Junk (and which
    >> ones are not Junk if it thinks they are). Have you been doing that?
    >>

    > Yes, I do that with each one I see. I do like that they immediately go
    > to the trash bin when this is performed.
    >
    > Gregg

    Well, what do you have JMC do with the ones it automatically detects?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jan 30, 2005
  10. Chili

    Moz Champion Guest

    Chili wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Feeney wrote:

    >>> I had the same problem. All of a sudden the junk mail filters
    >>> stopped filtering some, but not all, obvious spam. I went to the
    >>> Tools > Junk Mail Controls > Adaptive Filter and pressed the "Reset
    >>> Training Data" button. This corrected the problem but I'd love to
    >>> know why the problem began.
    >>>
    >>> Martin

    >> Why do most computer problems begin? Who knows. If its not a 'common'
    >> problem then usually there is not enough data on the failure to even
    >> begin to diagnose why, so its simply a guesstimate as to what caused
    >> it in the first place.
    >>
    >> If you can create a situation in which the fault can be reliably
    >> re-created, then it becomes a program 'fault', but random events are
    >> much more difficult to fault find.
    >>

    > Doesn't resetting training data just make you mark the stuff you have
    > already marked as junk again?

    resetting the training data sets JMC back to how it came out of the box,
    it wont catch much, simply because it isnt trained to do so.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jan 30, 2005
  11. Chili

    totsob Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > totsob wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> You have to teach JMC by telling it which ones are Junk (and which
    >>> ones are not Junk if it thinks they are). Have you been doing that?
    >>>

    >> Yes, I do that with each one I see. I do like that they immediately go
    >> to the trash bin when this is performed.
    >>
    >> Gregg

    > Well, what do you have JMC do with the ones it automatically detects?

    I have them sent to the junk mail folder. I have the ones that I
    designate junk mail deleted.

    totsob, Jan 30, 2005
  12. Chili

    Moz Champion Guest

    totsob wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> totsob wrote:

    >>> Yes, I do that with each one I see. I do like that they immediately
    >>> go to the trash bin when this is performed.
    >>>
    >>> Gregg

    >> Well, what do you have JMC do with the ones it automatically detects?
    >>

    > I have them sent to the junk mail folder. I have the ones that I
    > designate junk mail deleted.

    Okay, is JMC enabled for all accounts? Does it catch any at all?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Feb 1, 2005