Jumpy Mouse Pointer - Gateway Notebook

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
    computer and a child with poor fine motor control.

    The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
    can handle a conventional mouse much better.

    I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into the
    notebook's USB port.

    The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
    using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
    though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
    should next be drawn.

    The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.

    I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I haven't
    located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't want to
    shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on. <G>

    Help please?

    Jeff
    --
    Jeffry Wisnia

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    NotMe Guest

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    > Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
    > computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
    >
    > The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
    > can handle a conventional mouse much better.
    >
    > I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into the
    > notebook's USB port.
    >
    > The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
    > using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
    > though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
    > should next be drawn.
    >
    > The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
    >
    > I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I haven't
    > located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't want to
    > shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on. <G>
    >
    > Help please?
    >
    > Jeff

    It has been quite a while since I was 'outsourced' [cough] from GW. I
    remember there was an issue with some laptops that didn't like some
    brands of optical mice.

    You can try disabling the drivers for the touch pad, check the
    add/remove for the synaptics touch pad drivers. They can be reinstalled
    from the installation disk, or just download them from
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=3500728

    If that doesn't work, and since the computer us out of warranty, maybe
    try emailing GW tech support and see if they have a better answer.
    https://support.gateway.com/support/contact/contact_tech1.shtml

    Hope this gets you on the right track.

    NotMe
    NotMe, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    > Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
    > computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
    >
    > The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
    > can handle a conventional mouse much better.
    >
    > I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into
    > the notebook's USB port.
    >
    > The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
    > using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
    > though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
    > should next be drawn.
    >
    > The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
    >
    > I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I
    > haven't located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't
    > want to shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on.
    > <G>
    > Help please?
    >
    > Jeff

    There's your problem. You bought MS - you should have bought Logitech.
    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    SgtMinor Guest

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
    > computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
    >
    > The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
    > can handle a conventional mouse much better.
    >
    > I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into the
    > notebook's USB port.
    >
    > The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
    > using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
    > though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
    > should next be drawn.
    >
    > The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
    >
    > I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I haven't
    > located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't want to
    > shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on. <G>
    >
    > Help please?
    >
    > Jeff

    Get a driver from MS:

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/m...&os=xp&lang=en&driverVersion=IntelliPoint 5.2

    or

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2F31207B
    SgtMinor, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Jeff Wisnia

    Bobby Guest

    IFC = Ignorant Fucking ****, but I bet you knew what it meant, didn't you?

    Bobby, Jul 16, 2005
  6. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    > Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    >
    >>Trying to help a family with an older Gateway Solo 5300 notebook
    >>computer and a child with poor fine motor control.
    >>
    >>The kid had trouble using the Synaptics touch pad on the notebook, and
    >>can handle a conventional mouse much better.
    >>
    >>I went out and bought a Microsoft optical mouse and plugged it into
    >>the notebook's USB port.
    >>
    >>The mouse pointer moves smoothly when the touch pad is used, but when
    >>using the external mouse the pointer moves with annoying "jumps", as
    >>though the software is taking too long to calculate where the pointer
    >>should next be drawn.
    >>
    >>The Microsoft mouse came without any software of its own.
    >>
    >>I don't know if disabling the touch pad would help, but as yet I
    >> haven't located anything telling me how to do that. And, I wouldn't
    >>want to shut it off without knowing for sure how to turn it back on.
    >><G>
    >>Help please?
    >>
    >>Jeff

    > There's your problem. You bought MS - you should have bought Logitech.

    So I plugged a Logitech mouse into it today and got the same results.

    What do you say now Mam?

    Methinks perhaps your entire alimentary canal got reversed...

    Jeff

    --
    Jeffry Wisnia

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)