Jumping wireless Connections

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Greg, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Hello all,
    Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
    connections?
    I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My laptop
    (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
    then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is unsecured
    and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose my
    network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone have
    any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping, at
    random, to other networks?
    I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect to
    the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
    staying connected?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Greg

    --
    Greg Sisk, RCDD
    ShoreGroup, Inc.
    Greg, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Greg

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Change the channel of your Wireless.
    Configure WZC to work only with your connection.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0804.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Jack
    Moved from Channel 6 to 7 in the wireless card configuration.
    I'll see if that stabilizes the network.

    Looks like a large download is in my future (SP2)

    Thanks!!
    Greg

    Greg, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Greg

    DanR Guest

    Microsoft was sending CDROM with SP2 Free to anyone who requested via their
    website. Took about a week to get it. Don't know if they are still doing that
    but you may want to check.
    (So weird how everyone top posts on the Microsoft news sites but nowhere else.)

    Greg wrote:
    > Jack
    > Moved from Channel 6 to 7 in the wireless card configuration.
    > I'll see if that stabilizes the network.
    >
    > Looks like a large download is in my future (SP2)
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Greg
    > "Jack" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Change the channel of your Wireless.
    >> Configure WZC to work only with your connection.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0804.mspx
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "Greg" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello all,
    >>> Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
    >>> connections?
    >>> I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My laptop
    >>> (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
    >>> then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is unsecured
    >>> and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose my
    >>> network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone have
    >>> any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping, at
    >>> random, to other networks?
    >>> I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect to
    >>> the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
    >>> staying connected?
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>> Greg
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Greg Sisk, RCDD
    >>> ShoreGroup, Inc.
    >>> 460 West 35th Street
    >>> New York, NY 10001
    >>> 212-364-6758 - Office
    >>> 212-736-3369 - Fax
    >>> 347-804-6223 - Cell
    DanR, Jul 9, 2005
  5. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I did finally get it downloaded and installed, Took a couple of hours, even
    over a 3mbps Broadband connection. Plus, had numerous reboots and such.

    So far, the Wireless Network at home has stayed connected to my network and
    not attempted to jump to the neighbors network. I am keeping my fingers
    crossed, however.

    btw - I always top-post, may annoy others but it always made the most sense
    for me.
    Cheers!
    Greg

    Greg, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Greg

    Dave Guest

    thats because OE defaults to that, as does the ms newsgroup web site i
    believe. its always made more sense to me also, why have to scroll down on
    every reply just to see the latest addition when it can be right at the top
    of the message, especially if you use the preview window.

    Dave, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Greg

    DanR Guest

    Yea, I agree that it's nice to see the most recent post at the top. The argument
    is that it's difficult to follow a long thread. Seems as long as there is
    consistency top posting is OK. Every other group (non MS) I read insists on
    bottom posting though.

    DanR, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Greg

    DanR Guest

    Greg wrote:
    > Jack
    > Moved from Channel 6 to 7 in the wireless card configuration.
    > I'll see if that stabilizes the network.

    Changing from 6 to 7 is not good enough. There is quite an overlap between those
    2 channels.
    Try channel 1 or 11.
    DanR, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Greg

    Alun Bell Guest

    In message <#>, Greg
    <> writes
    >I did finally get it downloaded and installed, Took a couple of hours, even
    >over a 3mbps Broadband connection. Plus, had numerous reboots and such.
    >
    >So far, the Wireless Network at home has stayed connected to my network and
    >not attempted to jump to the neighbors network. I am keeping my fingers
    >crossed, however.
    >
    >btw - I always top-post, may annoy others but it always made the most sense
    >for me.
    >Cheers!
    >Greg

    Glad things seem to be working for you!

    You may like to top-post, but it means that I, for one, will not ever
    answer any queries from you. No offense meant, but if you're
    inconsiderate enough to ignore RFCs and the accepted and easy way to
    logically follow posts, then I (and others) usually can't be arsed to
    help by jumping back and forth in a post to figure out what you need!
    --
    Alun Bell
    Alun Bell, Jul 13, 2005
  10. Greg

    Dave Guest

    but he will get replies from me, because top posting is logically the
    easiest way to see the most recent replies without extra scrolling or
    hunting through other junk. maybe in the old days of text only readers it
    was easier to just let the text run past you and read the bottom of the
    message, but in today's world the commonly used readers/composers on here
    start you at the top of the message. just because the ancient's consider it
    uncouth doesn't mean that newcomers must follow, this is how change
    occurs... simpler and more logical practices replace outdated ones until
    they become the standard.

    Dave, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Greg

    Alun Bell Guest

    In message <>, Dave
    <> writes
    >but he will get replies from me, because top posting is logically the
    >easiest way to see the most recent replies without extra scrolling or
    >hunting through other junk. maybe in the old days of text only readers it
    >was easier to just let the text run past you and read the bottom of the
    >message, but in today's world the commonly used readers/composers on here
    >start you at the top of the message. just because the ancient's consider it
    >uncouth doesn't mean that newcomers must follow, this is how change
    >occurs... simpler and more logical practices replace outdated ones until
    >they become the standard.

    More logical, my backside. I'm not ancient and hidebound, and I'm all
    for improvements and simplification. The simple fact is that in a long
    thread, with many quotes and responses, top posting is a pain in the
    neck. That's not an opinion, it's as plain as can be.

    At least bottom posting keeps everything in context, or do you read
    books by jumping back and forth as well?
    --
    Alun Bell
    Alun Bell, Jul 13, 2005
  12. Greg

    Quaoar Guest

    DanR wrote:
    > Microsoft was sending CDROM with SP2 Free to anyone who requested via
    > their website. Took about a week to get it. Don't know if they are
    > still doing that but you may want to check.
    > (So weird how everyone top posts on the Microsoft news sites but
    > nowhere else.)
    >
    > Greg wrote:
    >> Jack
    >> Moved from Channel 6 to 7 in the wireless card configuration.
    >> I'll see if that stabilizes the network.
    >>
    >> Looks like a large download is in my future (SP2)
    >>
    >> Thanks!!
    >> Greg
    >> "Jack" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> Change the channel of your Wireless.
    >>> Configure WZC to work only with your connection.
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0804.mspx
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>

    >>> "Greg" <> wrote in message

    Not to belabor the top posting, but very many posters are using a web
    interface from other forums and the result is the top posting
    phenomenon. It works in forums, but, sadly, not on usenet.

    Quaoar, Jul 14, 2005