    The Western Digital is a IDE drive and the Seagate, slave is an ultra ATA
    drive

    Thanks

    Dardamar, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Dardamar

    PC Guest

    "Dardamar" <no spam> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am installing a slave hard drive into my computer, the master hard drive
    >(Western Digital) has 10 pins like this : : : : :
    >
    > The new Seagate slave hard drive has 8 pins like this : : : :
    >
    > How do I hook these up, I looked on Seagate and Western Digital website to
    > no avail.
    >
    > The Western Digital is a IDE drive and the Seagate, slave is an ultra ATA
    > drive
    >
    > Thanks

    There should be a diagram on the drive's label explaining which pairs to
    jumper for master/slave.
    Otherwise go to the drive manufacturers website and check it out there.

    Without pages of minute details: IDE = ATA in general terms, the difference
    is in speed capabilities. The only option/choice to make is to use an 80 way
    conductor IDE data cable for the higher (100/133) speeds

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Jun 20, 2005

  3. Dardamar

    Dardamar Guest

    Forgot to mention the OS is Windows XP Home Edition

    Thanks

    Dardamar, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Dardamar

    Sly Guest

    doesnt matter if ya have win 95, the jumper settings are on the lable of the
    hard drive

    Sly, Jun 20, 2005
  5. Dardamar

    J-McC Guest

    On a lot of modern drives the slave has no jumpers. If you can post
    the drive types I will see if I can find the jumper settings for you.

    J-McC, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Dardamar

    Sly Guest

    huh? no jumpers? maybe if the drive is designated as slave only or master
    only which i dont think they make

    Sly, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Dardamar

    Dardamar Guest

    >I am installing a slave hard drive into my computer, the master hard drive
    >(Western Digital) has 10 pins like this : : : : :
    >
    > The new Seagate slave hard drive has 8 pins like this : : : :
    >
    > How do I hook these up, I looked on Seagate and Western Digital website to
    > no avail.
    >
    > The Western Digital is a IDE drive and the Seagate, slave is an ultra ATA
    > drive
    >
    > Thanks

    yes thats right, the new seagate drive i have for slave requires no jumper.
    I couldnt get the slave drive to work so I will take it back today, must be
    a lemon.

    Dardamar, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Dardamar

    Gort Guest

    Sly wrote:
    > huh? no jumpers? maybe if the drive is designated as slave only or master
    > only which i dont think they make

    I believe J-McC is thinking of SATA drives, which do not have jumpers as
    there is only 1 drive per cable on those. Master/Slave doesn't apply.

    > "J-McC" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On a lot of modern drives the slave has no jumpers. If you can post
    >>the drive types I will see if I can find the jumper settings for you.
    >>

    >>On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:41:12 GMT, "Sly" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>doesnt matter if ya have win 95, the jumper settings are on the lable of

    > the
    >
    >>>hard drive
    >>>
    >>>"Dardamar" <no spam> wrote in message

    >>>drive

    > website

    >>>ATA

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

    Gort, Jun 20, 2005
  9. Dardamar

    J-McC Guest

    mY FINGERS GET OUT OF SYNC WITH THE BRAIN. What I meant to type was
    that often the slave drive has no jumper installed! and on the master
    there is usually one jumper closest to the ide cable connector.
    J-McC.
    Anyway post the drive part numbers eg WD1200 and ST3102A and we will
    try to help you.

    J-McC, Jun 21, 2005