    computer it could not require any software on the hard drive.

    --
    Thanks in advance... Bob

    Bob Newman, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Bob Newman

    dono Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:02:26 -0400, "Bob Newman" <>
    wrote:

    >I am looking for some type of privacy software, either to hide or a simple
    >password protection would do for folders that would be appropriate for use
    >on a JumpDrive USB data device. Because it would be moved from computer to
    >computer it could not require any software on the hard drive.

    #####################
    Wild guess. Maybe a hardware dongle?

    dono, Aug 18, 2004

  3. WinZIP v9.0 and encrypt the files/folders.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    I tried WinZip and while you can't actually unzip the file, my file manager
    (PowerDesk) has no trouble viewing it's contents.

    Bob

    Bob Newman, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Bob Newman

    KBob Guest

    wrote:

    >I am looking for some type of privacy software, either to hide or a simple
    >password protection would do for folders that would be appropriate for use
    >on a JumpDrive USB data device. Because it would be moved from computer to
    >computer it could not require any software on the hard drive.

    I've got a Lexar "Jumpdrive Secure" that has built-in security by
    means of password protection. Here's the URL:
    http://www.digitalfilm.com/jumpdrive/jd_secure.html

    KBob, Aug 18, 2004
  6. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    Yes I have seen that one but I prefer the slimmer case.

    Bob

    Bob Newman, Aug 18, 2004
  7. It sounds like you did not password protect (encrypt) the file.

    It can use ZIP 2.0, 128bit AES or 256bit AES encryption.

    Dave

    "Bob Newman" <> wrote in message news:BEGUc.25510$Yf6.17730@lakeread03...
    | I tried WinZip and while you can't actually unzip the file, my file manager
    | (PowerDesk) has no trouble viewing it's contents.
    |
    | Bob

    | > WinZIP v9.0 and encrypt the files/folders.
    | >
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Bob Newman" <> wrote in message
    | > | I am looking for some type of privacy software, either to hide or a
    | simple
    | > | password protection would do for folders that would be appropriate for
    | use
    | > | on a JumpDrive USB data device. Because it would be moved from computer
    | > | computer it could not require any software on the hard drive.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks in advance... Bob
    | > |
    | > |

    David H. Lipman, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    Ity is encrypted. I talked to WinZip & they said it is normal for it to do
    that!

    Bpb

    Bob Newman, Aug 19, 2004
  9. You mean the file listing, not the contents of the file. If the file has a "+" plus sign
    next to it you can't extract or view its content w/o a password.

    Dave

    "Bob Newman" <> wrote in message news:3LTUc.25887$Yf6.11252@lakeread03...
    | Ity is encrypted. I talked to WinZip & they said it is normal for it to do
    | that!
    |
    | Bpb

    | > It sounds like you did not password protect (encrypt) the file.
    | >
    | > It can use ZIP 2.0, 128bit AES or 256bit AES encryption.
    | >
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Bob Newman" <> wrote in message
    | > | I tried WinZip and while you can't actually unzip the file, my file
    | manager
    | > | (PowerDesk) has no trouble viewing it's contents.
    | > |
    | > | Bob
    | > |
    | > | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    | > | simple
    | for
    | > | use
    | computer
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    David H. Lipman, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    Not sure what you mean about the "+" but yes you can't extract without the
    password which is great, however having someone be able to read the name of
    the file in itself is a security breach.

    Bob

    Bob Newman, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Bob Newman

    artha Guest

    Hi,
    If u use WinRar you can avoid users to see the contents of the folder
    zipped. When u zip the folder u have to choose the option: Set
    Password and then "Encrypt File names". If u want to get inside of the
    archive there will be no files listed.

    Artha

    artha, Aug 19, 2004