    to start the computer?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 2, 2006

  2. JTJersey

    Robert Baer Guest

    JTJersey wrote:
    > If the "Power On" button on the front of your computer case is broken (and
    > you have no reset button that you can switch out the connectors on the
    > motherbord with) can you jump the "Power On" connectors on the motherboard
    > to start the computer?

    Yes, but...mighty darn inconvenient every time you want it on or off.

    Robert Baer, Dec 2, 2006

  3. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 06:43:41 +0000, Robert Baer wrote:

    > JTJersey wrote:
    >> If the "Power On" button on the front of your computer case is broken (and
    >> you have no reset button that you can switch out the connectors on the
    >> motherbord with) can you jump the "Power On" connectors on the motherboard
    >> to start the computer?
    >>

    > Yes, but...mighty darn inconvenient every time you want it on or off.

    I figured on drilling a hole in the side and jamming a screwdriver in it
    to start it. :) Used to start my '59 Harley like that. Actually I'm
    trying to get a resonse out of this motherboard. The Power Supply was
    dead and the "ON" button is broken, but replacing the PS and jumping the
    motherboard connectors still gives me no response at all. It's not looking
    good for this one. Thanks.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 2, 2006
  4. JTJersey

    Baron Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 06:43:41 +0000, Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> JTJersey wrote:
    >>> If the "Power On" button on the front of your computer case is
    >>> broken (and you have no reset button that you can switch out the
    >>> connectors on the motherbord with) can you jump the "Power On"
    >>> connectors on the motherboard to start the computer?
    >>>

    >> Yes, but...mighty darn inconvenient every time you want it on or
    >> off.

    Its just a momentary contact to turn on ! The OS will turn the machine
    off !

    > I figured on drilling a hole in the side and jamming a screwdriver in
    > it to start it. :) Used to start my '59 Harley like that. Actually
    > I'm trying to get a resonse out of this motherboard. The Power Supply
    > was dead and the "ON" button is broken, but replacing the PS and
    > jumping the motherboard connectors still gives me no response at all.
    > It's not looking good for this one. Thanks.

    New switches are cheap or free, but I don't think that it will help.

    Unplug the power connector/s from the board and make sure the PSU
    actually works. Leave the HDD and CD's conected. You should see the
    PSU fan spin up and the CD draw will open and close when you push the
    eject button.

    If thats fine. Unplug all the drives. Remove all adaptor cards
    including ram. Plug the power connectors into the mainboard. Then
    check for 5 volts on the power switch, with mains supply connected.

    If no 5Volts, then remove the CPU and re test for 5Volts. If you have
    voltage now the CPU is dead. If no 5Volts the mainboard is dead.

    Although if the CPU has had it then the mainboard is probably damaged as
    well.

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Dec 2, 2006
  5. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:01:32 +0000, Baron wrote:

    >> The Power Supply
    >> was dead and the "ON" button is broken, but replacing the PS and
    >> jumping the motherboard connectors still gives me no response at all.
    >> It's not looking good for this one. Thanks.

    > New switches are cheap or free, but I don't think that it will help.
    >
    > Unplug the power connector/s from the board and make sure the PSU
    > actually works. Leave the HDD and CD's conected. You should see the
    > PSU fan spin up and the CD draw will open and close when you push the
    > eject button.

    I know that the OEM power supply is dead. I swapped it for a known to be
    good one, but nothing works at all. I retested my good power supply and
    sure enough it checks out fine, but plug it into that board and there's
    nothing. No fans spin, nothing works at all.

    > If thats fine. Unplug all the drives. Remove all adaptor cards
    > including ram. Plug the power connectors into the mainboard. Then
    > check for 5 volts on the power switch, with mains supply connected.
    >
    > If no 5Volts, then remove the CPU and re test for 5Volts. If you have
    > voltage now the CPU is dead. If no 5Volts the mainboard is dead.
    >
    > Although if the CPU has had it then the mainboard is probably damaged as
    > well.

    There are no readings with or without the CPU connected.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 3, 2006
  6. JTJersey

    Robert Baer Guest

    Baron wrote:
    > JTJersey wrote:

    >>> Yes, but...mighty darn inconvenient every time you want it on or
    >>> off.

    > Its just a momentary contact to turn on ! The OS will turn the machine
    > off !

    ** Not always; that button is supposed to turn on the machine if off,
    and turn it off if machine was on.
    Ability to turn off the beastie do come in handy on "emergency"
    occasions!

    >>I figured on drilling a hole in the side and jamming a screwdriver in
    >>it to start it. :) Used to start my '59 Harley like that. Actually
    >>I'm trying to get a resonse out of this motherboard. The Power Supply
    >>was dead and the "ON" button is broken, but replacing the PS and
    >>jumping the motherboard connectors still gives me no response at all.
    >>It's not looking good for this one. Thanks.

    > New switches are cheap or free, but I don't think that it will help.
    >
    > Unplug the power connector/s from the board and make sure the PSU
    > actually works. Leave the HDD and CD's conected. You should see the
    > PSU fan spin up and the CD draw will open and close when you push the
    > eject button.

    ** PSUs need a load to operate...

    Robert Baer, Dec 3, 2006
  7. JTJersey

    Baron Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:01:32 +0000, Baron wrote:
    >
    >>> The Power Supply
    >>> was dead and the "ON" button is broken, but replacing the PS and
    >>> jumping the motherboard connectors still gives me no response at
    >>> all.
    >>> It's not looking good for this one. Thanks.

    >> New switches are cheap or free, but I don't think that it will help.
    >>
    >> Unplug the power connector/s from the board and make sure the PSU
    >> actually works. Leave the HDD and CD's conected. You should see the
    >> PSU fan spin up and the CD draw will open and close when you push the
    >> eject button.
    >>

    > I know that the OEM power supply is dead. I swapped it for a known to
    > be good one, but nothing works at all. I retested my good power
    > supply and sure enough it checks out fine, but plug it into that board
    > and there's nothing. No fans spin, nothing works at all.
    >
    >> If thats fine. Unplug all the drives. Remove all adaptor cards
    >> including ram. Plug the power connectors into the mainboard. Then
    >> check for 5 volts on the power switch, with mains supply connected.
    >>
    >> If no 5Volts, then remove the CPU and re test for 5Volts. If you have
    >> voltage now the CPU is dead. If no 5Volts the mainboard is dead.
    >>
    >> Although if the CPU has had it then the mainboard is probably damaged
    >> as well.
    >>

    > There are no readings with or without the CPU connected.

    Then I would suspect the mainboard is dead. If you have an ohmmeter,
    with everything disconnected, test for shorts on the mainboard power
    pins. Check with the meter leads reversed as well. I think you may
    find that the CPU power supply has gone s/c, killing the main PSU when
    its plugged into the mainboard.

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Dec 3, 2006
  8. JTJersey

    Baron Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >> JTJersey wrote:

    >> Its just a momentary contact to turn on ! The OS will turn the
    >> machine off !

    > ** Not always; that button is supposed to turn on the machine if off,
    > and turn it off if machine was on.

    Yes I agree ! But if the CPU isn't running, it may turn on but it
    probably wont turn off !

    > Ability to turn off the beastie do come in handy on "emergency"
    > occasions!

    In that case I'm more inclined to just pull the mains plug !

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Dec 3, 2006