  1. Jumbo DVDs coming - but at what price?

    By Anand Parthasarathy
    The Hindu
    Sunday, May 29, 2005

    A new contender raises the storage stakes -- a hundred
    fold

    DVDs being packed in the Greater Noida plant of Moser
    Baer. The company is geared to turn out either Blu Ray or
    HD-DVD disks in the future.

    BANGALORE: `Size Does Matter' -- if you want to be pack
    leader in the optical storage business. And the latest
    contender for the title of `Digital Godzilla' has just
    stomped into the arena, promising a jumbo-sized offering
    that dwarfs all rivals in the field. United States-based
    storage player Iomega, has announced, it has been granted
    two optical storage patents, that if converted into a
    production process, can turn out Digital Versatile Disks
    (DVDs) with a mind-boggling 850 giga bytes (GB)capacity --
    that is 850 billion bits of information. This will make
    the devices about 100 times bigger than the biggest DVDs
    available today -- and with at least 20 times more
    capacity than the next-generation high-density formats
    being readied for year-end availability.

    Ironically, to achieve these huge storage capacities,
    Iomega engineers have exploited nano technology -- the
    science of very small particles, touching atom sizes. In
    its patent document, released by the U.S. Patent Office,
    Iomega calls its technology ``Nano-Grating'' -- encoding
    data on the surface of the DVD, using nano-sized
    particles.

    Experts believe the transition from patent to product
    could take anything from two to five years. Today's 4.5
    GB DVDs (9 GB, double sided) are set to be replaced by
    the high-density formats expected by end 2005.
    Unfortunately the old VHS-versus-Beta videocassette
    format wars of the 1980s seem to be replaying: Two rival
    camps have emerged in the high-density DVD business. One
    -- Blu-Ray -- is backed by Sony, Hitachi, TDK, Panasonic
    and others. The other -- HD-DVD (for High Density DVD) --
    is supported by Toshiba, Sanyo and NEC. The formats which
    will increase today's storage capacity at least ten-fold,
    are incompatible and will force customers to make a
    choice between two types of disks and players.

    The heads of Sony and Toshiba recently announced that
    they would meet soon and try to end the deadlock. But
    both camps have raised the stakes, with 'macho'
    announcements. Last week, TDK announced a 100-GB Blu Ray
    DVD -- with an eye on the huge market for Sony PlayStation
    players.

    The HD-DVD camp has been touting the support for its
    format, from Hollywood biggies Warner Brothers and
    Universal: Movies form the biggest potential market for
    DVDs. The Blu-Ray boys have been saying: ``So what! We
    have Walt Disney and Twentieth Century-Fox in our
    corner.''

    The difference between the two formats is minuscule: In
    Blu-Ray DVDs, the data layer is on the surface, covered
    by a protective coat.

    In the HD-DVD, the data layer is sandwiched between two
    substrates. Both use the shorter wave length of the blue
    laser rather than the red laser of today's CDs and DVDs,
    to squeeze more data on the same-sized platter.

    Canny manufacturers -- including Greater Noida (UP)-based
    Moser Baer, the world's number 3, optical storage company
    -- have been hedging their bets, tooling to do go either
    way, at short notice, once the shakeout between Blu-Ray
    and HD-DVD occurs. However the high initial cost of the
    high density DVDs -- of either format -- estimated to be
    Rs. 1,000- Rs. 2,000 equivalent per disk, may put off
    buyers in price sensitive markets such as India, till
    usage proliferates worldwide.

    And for customers, the message is: Wait and watch -- with
    a prayer that an avaricious industry does not face them
    with conflicting standards and expect them to pay for its
    sins by foisting the additional cost of dual-format
    players and recorders on the buyer.

    More at:
    http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/29/stories/2005052900311100.htm

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Hindu Holocaust Museum
    http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
    http://www.hindu.org
    http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims
    http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    The terrorist mission of Jesus stated in the Christian bible:

    "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not so send
    peace, but a sword.
    "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
    daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
    law.
    "And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
    - Matthew 10:34-36.

    fair use of copyrighted works.

    copyright owner.

    Since newsgroup posts are being removed
    by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
    this post may be reposted several times.
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, May 29, 2005

  2. > "John Sefton" <> wrote in message

    > > Nonymous wrote:
    > >> Whatever you do, don't scratch it.

    > > In the original ads for cd
    > > it showed a dog with one in its
    > > mouth and emphasized how
    > > indestructible they are compared to
    > > records!?
    > >

    > This is one of the biggest fictions of optical media. Analog records are
    > far more robust than optical digital at failure rate. Particularly for DVD,
    > since they approach failure margins so closely.

    Analog records in the best condition sound better,
    too. Living beings are largely analog, not digital.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, May 30, 2005

  3. On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:13:55 GMT, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    >> "John Sefton" <> wrote in message

    >> > In the original ads for cd
    >> > it showed a dog with one in its
    >> > mouth and emphasized how
    >> > indestructible they are compared to
    >> > records!?
    >> >

    >> This is one of the biggest fictions of optical media. Analog records are
    >> far more robust than optical digital at failure rate. Particularly for DVD,
    >> since they approach failure margins so closely.

    The issue of failure depends on the measure of failure, when optical
    (or other digital) media fails, it does so spectacularly because the
    data is gone at that point and the d/a converters have no way to
    restore that. analog media doesn't necessarily lose the data
    (depending on what fails) it jusat loses some, but then keeps playing,
    or distortion is added. Nontheless a large scratch on an analog
    record, a warp, or a well used analog record are all failing, and to
    someone who cares, those are all as useless as digital dropout.

    I can guarantee that my well cared for optical media are all able to
    outperform my well cared for analog media. The failure rate on my
    optical media comes down to about 5 of my 1300 CDs/DVDs/SACDs. Quite
    acceptable

    >Analog records in the best condition sound better,
    >too. Living beings are largely analog, not digital.

    That's a myth that jaded audiophiles would like to believe. Quite
    simply a well recorded and mixed digital recording outperforms analog
    records. Analog records simply don't hold up to play, they have
    inherent distortion issues at the high and low ends and high frequency
    rolloff (14K rolloff) simply precludes the possibility of accuracy.

    You may enjoy euphonic distortion, but that's a whole different
    argument.

    Your analog digital argument doesn't play out either. Quite simply,
    the wave that comes out of the speakers is analog in the end, our ears
    don't hear the electronic signal they hear the waveform from the
    speaker system. Whether the signal starts as analog or digital signal
    makes no difference at the end, and quite bluntly the sampling rates
    used for CD (and higher rez formats) produces an outgoing signal that
    is more than accurate enough for our hearing. Will analog and digital
    sound differently, unlikely from a high end tape source, but
    definitley from vinyl vs. optical. That is simply due to distortion
    inherent in the vinyl system.

    Grant Kinsley

    grant kinsley, May 31, 2005
  4. Aaron J. Bossig, May 31, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    grant kinsley <> posted:

    > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
    >

    > >> "John Sefton" <> wrote in message

    > >> This is one of the biggest fictions of optical media. Analog records are
    > >> far more robust than optical digital at failure rate. Particularly for

    > DVD,
    > >> since they approach failure margins so closely.

    > The issue of failure depends on the measure of failure, when optical
    > (or other digital) media fails, it does so spectacularly because the
    > data is gone at that point and the d/a converters have no way to
    > restore that. analog media doesn't necessarily lose the data
    > (depending on what fails) it jusat loses some, but then keeps playing,
    > or distortion is added. Nontheless a large scratch on an analog
    > record, a warp, or a well used analog record are all failing, and to
    > someone who cares, those are all as useless as digital dropout.
    >
    > I can guarantee that my well cared for optical media are all able to
    > outperform my well cared for analog media. The failure rate on my
    > optical media comes down to about 5 of my 1300 CDs/DVDs/SACDs. Quite
    > acceptable

    >> Analog records in the best condition sound better,
    >> too. Living beings are largely analog, not digital.
    >> - Jai Maharaj

    > That's a myth that jaded audiophiles would like to believe. Quite
    > simply a well recorded and mixed digital recording outperforms analog
    > records. Analog records simply don't hold up to play, they have
    > inherent distortion issues at the high and low ends and high frequency
    > rolloff (14K rolloff) simply precludes the possibility of accuracy.

    Records are not the only medium on which analog information can
    be recorded.

    > You may enjoy euphonic distortion, but that's a whole different
    > argument.

    What you may call "distortion" to you may be excellent-quality music to another.

    > Your analog digital argument doesn't play out either. Quite simply,
    > the wave that comes out of the speakers is analog in the end, our ears
    > don't hear the electronic signal they hear the waveform from the
    > speaker system.

    No, ears don't hear, the brain-mind does -- after interpretation
    based no a large number of individual as well as specie-specific factors.

    > Whether the signal starts as analog or digital signal
    > makes no difference at the end, and quite bluntly the sampling rates
    > used for CD (and higher rez formats) produces an outgoing signal that
    > is more than accurate enough for our hearing. Will analog and digital
    > sound differently, unlikely from a high end tape source, but
    > definitley from vinyl vs. optical. That is simply due to distortion
    > inherent in the vinyl system. Grant Kinsley

    All that is quite subjective.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, May 31, 2005
  6. Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <Xns96678A42B9C2Flinkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> posted:

    > Jai is a . . .

    Who is this "Aaron J. Bossig" who publishes defamation
    and thus commits libel? Here's some publicly posted information:

    Aaron J. Bossig <>
    Aaron J. Bossig <>
    397 Hemlock Drive
    Lehighton, PA 18235
    USA

    Telephone - 610-282-2634 x 7052

    Bossig uses the street address of a rehab center:

    Mahoning Valley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
    397 Hemlock Drive
    Lehighton, PA 18235
    USA

    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, May 31, 2005
  7. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <SOuCe3164ExHlU@NweAc>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    > In article <Xns96678A42B9C2Flinkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
    > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> posted:
    > >
    > > Jai is a . . .

    > Who is this "Aaron J. Bossig" who publishes defamation
    > and thus commits libel? Here's some publicly posted information:
    >

    > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    whoever he is, you've just made it easier for him to charge you with
    stalking him.
    Prostate Cancer Man, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <>,
    [ From: Prostate Cancer Man <>
    [ Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:13:43 -0700
    [ wOKJi6f0aC/0jHz3C+23!boooLq4tr8CmfEj9D/KJdA3LKrYx62Vb4+ycDAffdXzm/B0J
    [ 6JTZaq75AOQmrxNDyHh2xIREv9dK!ylCVYXYP8b1qCQAclzNJMotVtEylh7Dqog==
    Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
    >
    > > In article <Xns96678A42B9C2Flinkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
    > > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> posted:
    > > >
    > > > Jai is a . . .

    > > Who is this "Aaron J. Bossig" who publishes defamation
    > > and thus commits libel? Here's some publicly posted information:
    > >
    > > Aaron J. Bossig <>
    > > Aaron J. Bossig <>
    > > 397 Hemlock Drive
    > > Lehighton, PA 18235
    > > USA
    > >
    > > Telephone - 610-282-2634 x 7052
    > >
    > > Bossig uses the street address of a rehab center:
    > >
    > > Mahoning Valley Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
    > > 397 Hemlock Drive
    > > Lehighton, PA 18235
    > > USA
    > >
    > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    > whoever he is, you've just made it easier for him to charge you with
    > stalking him.

    Exposing those who commit crimes using the information
    they themselves make publicly available is not "stalking".

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jun 1, 2005
  9. On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:35:39 -0500, "Aaron J. Bossig"
    <> wrote:

    >grant kinsley <> wrote in
    >
    >Grant-
    >
    >Jai is a well-known troll in other newsgroups. Best
    >not to respond.

    Thanks for letting me know, no more feeding the trolls.

    Grant
    grant kinsley, Jun 1, 2005
  10. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <FoePu7783iKLQE@VquEb>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > [ From: Prostate Cancer Man <>
    > [ Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:13:43 -0700
    > [ wOKJi6f0aC/0jHz3C+23!boooLq4tr8CmfEj9D/KJdA3LKrYx62Vb4+ycDAffdXzm/B0J
    > [ 6JTZaq75AOQmrxNDyHh2xIREv9dK!ylCVYXYP8b1qCQAclzNJMotVtEylh7Dqog==
    > Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:
    >
    > > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
    > >
    > > > In article <Xns96678A42B9C2Flinkvb06SpammersWill@204.186.200.105>,
    > > > "Aaron J. Bossig" <> posted:

    > > > Who is this "Aaron J. Bossig" who publishes defamation
    > > > and thus commits libel? Here's some publicly posted information:
    > > >

    > > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    > > whoever he is, you've just made it easier for him to charge you with
    > > stalking him.

    > Exposing those who commit crimes using the information
    > they themselves make publicly available is not "stalking".
    >
    > Jai Maharaj
    > http://www.mantra.com/jai
    > Om Shanti

    Accusing others of crimes is not proof of those crimes.

    As you accuse Mr Bossig of libel, so do you prove yourself a stalker.

    You are your very own bad karma.

    For you, reality sucks
    Prostate Cancer Man, Jun 1, 2005
  11. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <>,
    [
    [ From: Prostate Cancer Man <>
    [ Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:05:12 -0700
    [ B4ExqA3StHW05vJRO!dPQ/Zo/8d+0UlsWP1W8xopv+WSVDkvcUBL8wewAcQzlzDQZnx
    [ 8vpEYFPQVSjtTiuD7nyNopE9n6z!BH4nS5pqhnH4TcPyBwgKy2I30SEQCj8B
    Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    > In article <FoePu7783iKLQE@VquEb>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> [ From: Prostate Cancer Man <>
    >> [ Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:13:43 -0700
    >> [ wOKJi6f0aC/0jHz3C+23!boooLq4tr8CmfEj9D/KJdA3LKrYx62Vb4+ycDAffdXzm/B0J
    >> [ 6JTZaq75AOQmrxNDyHh2xIREv9dK!ylCVYXYP8b1qCQAclzNJMotVtEylh7Dqog==
    >> Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:
    >>
    >>> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

    >>> whoever he is, you've just made it easier for him to charge you with
    >>> stalking him.

    >> Exposing those who commit crimes using the information
    >> they themselves make publicly available is not "stalking".

    > Accusing others of crimes is not proof of those crimes.

    Accusing others of crimes they have committed is proper.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jun 1, 2005
  12. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <yaiRU0242oqRgA@KweAs>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > [
    > [ From: Prostate Cancer Man <>
    > [ Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:05:12 -0700
    > [
    > B4ExqA3StHW05vJRO!dPQ/Zo/8d+0UlsWP1W8xopv+WSVDkvcUBL8wewAcQzlzDQZnx
    > [ 8vpEYFPQVSjtTiuD7nyNopE9n6z!BH4nS5pqhnH4TcPyBwgKy2I30SEQCj8B
    > Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:
    >
    > > In article <FoePu7783iKLQE@VquEb>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <>,
    > >> [ From: Prostate Cancer Man <>
    > >> [ Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:13:43 -0700
    > >> [
    > >> wOKJi6f0aC/0jHz3C+23!boooLq4tr8CmfEj9D/KJdA3LKrYx62Vb4+ycDAffdXzm/B0J
    > >> [ 6JTZaq75AOQmrxNDyHh2xIREv9dK!ylCVYXYP8b1qCQAclzNJMotVtEylh7Dqog==
    > >> Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    > >> Exposing those who commit crimes using the information
    > >> they themselves make publicly available is not "stalking".

    > > Accusing others of crimes is not proof of those crimes.

    > Accusing others of crimes they have committed is proper.
    >
    > Jai Maharaj
    > http://www.mantra.com/jai
    > Om Shanti

    Exactly why I have accused you of being a stalker. Thank you.
    Prostate Cancer Man, Jun 1, 2005
  13. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <>,
    Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> [
    >> [ From: Prostate Cancer Man <>
    >> [ Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:05:12 -0700
    >> [
    >> B4ExqA3StHW05vJRO!dPQ/Zo/8d+0UlsWP1W8xopv+WSVDkvcUBL8wewAcQzlzDQZnx
    >> [ 8vpEYFPQVSjtTiuD7nyNopE9n6z!BH4nS5pqhnH4TcPyBwgKy2I30SEQCj8B
    >> Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    >>> Accusing others of crimes is not proof of those crimes.

    >> Accusing others of crimes they have committed is proper.
    >>
    >> Jai Maharaj

    > Exactly why I have accused you of being a stalker.

    Yours is a false accusation; you support those who commit crimes.

    > Thank you [for exposing Bossig - JM].

    You are welcome.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jun 1, 2005
  14. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <JIEFO2188IZZYO@JtaOj>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:
    >
    > > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

    > >> Accusing others of crimes they have committed is proper.
    > >>
    > >> Jai Maharaj

    > > Exactly why I have accused you of being a stalker.

    > Yours is a false accusation; you support those who commit crimes.

    Accusing you of the crime of stalking is proper and correct.

    > > Thank you [for exposing Bossig - JM].

    You also commit the crime of altering my response. That is always the
    action of someone who has blackness in their heart.

    > You are welcome.

    It's my pleasure to point out the blackness in your heart. You should
    ponder that emptiness as it will consume you.
    Prostate Cancer Man, Jun 2, 2005
  15. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <>,
    Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    > Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:
    > >
    > > > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

    > > > Exactly why I have accused you of being a stalker.

    > > Yours is a false accusation; you support those who commit crimes.

    > Accusing you of the crime of stalking is proper and correct.
    >

    > > > Thank you [for exposing Bossig - JM].

    > You also commit the crime of altering my response. That is always the
    > action of someone who has blackness in their heart.

    You are publishing false accusations again -- is that why
    you post anonymously like a coward? You even call yourself
    by a cancer. Your response is unaltered and archived, but
    you have proven yourself to be a liar.

    > > You are welcome.

    > It's my pleasure . . .

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jun 2, 2005
  16. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <puuTI0298UWOqI@NfiAu>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:
    >
    > > Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    > > > Yours is a false accusation; you support those who commit crimes.

    > > Accusing you of the crime of stalking is proper and correct.

    > > You also commit the crime of altering my response. That is always the
    > > action of someone who has blackness in their heart.

    > You are publishing false accusations again -- is that why
    > you post anonymously like a coward? You even call yourself
    > by a cancer. Your response is unaltered and archived, but
    > you have proven yourself to be a liar.

    Your stalking is clearly evident as is your alteration of my response.
    The blackness in your heart prevents you from seeing the truth. Your
    alterations to my response is likewise archived for all to see the
    blackness in your heart. It is no surprise that you cannot recognize the
    evil you perpetuate...the blackness in your heart insulates you from the
    truth.

    Look deep into your soul so you might protect it.

    Concentrate not on my identity, but the truth of my words.

    The blackness in your heart will follow you in your next life. Please
    for the sake of those that might make the mistake of loving you cleanse
    your soul.
    Prostate Cancer Man, Jun 2, 2005
  17. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <>,
    Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jun 2, 2005
  18. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <PaUXO9596uNVwU@LdiIf>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Prostate Cancer Man <> posted:
    >
    > > Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

    No matter how your black soul cuts and pastes, my real posts are
    archived. Do you think that lying this way is the path to save your soul?
    Prostate Cancer Man, Jun 3, 2005
  19. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jun 3, 2005
  20. Re: Who is "Aaron J Bossig" <> <> ? (Was: Re: JUMBO DVDs...)

    In article <yeOva4983IlVxe@TxiOf>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

> [...]

    Truly your dark soul knows no boundries. Cut and paste all you want, my
    respones (before your attempts to involve me in your stalking) are
    archived for all to see.

    Imagine the shame your family must suffer because of you.
    Prostate Cancer Man, Jun 3, 2005