    Any help appreciated.

    Cheers

    JM

    JM, Feb 6, 2004

  2. JM

    Steve Firth Guest

    JM <> wrote:

    > Can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for some JSP440
    > documentation?

    You won't find it in any public forum. Access is restricted to security
    cleared individuals.

    friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

    Steve Firth, Feb 7, 2004

  3. In article <1g8rfqk.13skm0621hr6hN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk>, usenet-
    says...
    > JM <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for some JSP440
    > > documentation?

    > You won't find it in any public forum. Access is restricted to security
    > cleared individuals.

    since I have no clue what JSP440 is, and i haven't googled it (yet) to
    find out.... it's rather scary (from a former naval crypto tech's point
    of view) that someone that _doesn't_ know what it is, would be searching
    (usenet none-the-less!) for information about it!

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Feb 7, 2004
  4. JM

    Steve Firth Guest

    Colonel Flagg <> wrote:

    > it's rather scary (from a former naval crypto tech's point
    > of view) that someone that _doesn't_ know what it is, would be searching
    > (usenet none-the-less!) for information about it!

    Following the usual MoD weirdness, the existence of JSP440 is not
    classified and the index pages are unclassified and available on the
    nertnet. The content is however classified and not for public use.

    Any search for computer security will reveal the existence of the
    document but that's as far as you get.

    friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

    Steve Firth, Feb 7, 2004
  5. JM

    JM Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 02:53:42 -0500, Colonel Flagg wrote:

    > In article <1g8rfqk.13skm0621hr6hN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk>, usenet-
    > says...
    >> JM <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for some JSP440
    >>> documentation?

    >> You won't find it in any public forum. Access is restricted to security
    >> cleared individuals.
    >>

    > since I have no clue what JSP440 is, and i haven't googled it (yet) to
    > find out.... it's rather scary (from a former naval crypto tech's point
    > of view) that someone that _doesn't_ know what it is, would be searching
    > (usenet none-the-less!) for information about it!

    An excellent medium to search, but it does make you wonder why someone is
    searching for specific documentation on INFOSEC at this level instead of
    directing their inquiry to their SO.
    --
    Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
    Joseph Campbell

    JM, Feb 7, 2004
  6. JM

    JM Guest

    I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any relevant
    assignments at the moment.

    JSP440, appears to be being discussed more in potential recruitment
    noticfications, and as this particular document is new to me I am trying to
    find it.

    A google search throws up plenty of references to it, just not the
    specification itself. Hence the request to Newsgroups.

    I would not expect anyone to share classified information via this medium,
    but I would also not expect my local military instalation to have copies of
    it sitting in reception. So short on asking for help from appropriate
    public places, I am at a bit of a loss.

    Thanks for the comments thus far.

    JM

    JM, Feb 9, 2004
  7. JM

    Spider Guest

    What particular bit are you interested in, I'm sure if your reasons were
    explained, at least an overview could be given by the custodian of the
    document.

    Regards

    Spider, Feb 9, 2004
  8. JM

    JM Guest

    simply what is covered, who is the custodian, and classification,

    which may help to explain why it is hard to find.

    JM, Feb 13, 2004
  9. JM

    Simon Reed Guest

    This is going to sound facetious but ...

    In article <c07n92$12uvte$-berlin.de>, JM
    <> writes
    >I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any relevant
    >assignments at the moment.

    There lies the problem. Protectively marked matter is only released on
    a "need to know" basis. Having the clearance is not enough. If really
    have the clearance then you should have had the corresponding training
    and should know this.

    When you say you have clearance - do YOU have the clearance or did you
    work for an employer who had the clearance? Most likely the latter if
    you never received any security procedure training. In that case, if
    you are no longer working on the project requiring clearance, your
    clearance has ceased. If the former, and you have changed employers
    since you had the clearance, again your clearance has ceased. (That's
    roughly how it works).

    >JSP440, appears to be being discussed more in potential recruitment
    >noticfications, and as this particular document is new to me I am trying to
    >find it.

    Once you need to see it, you will be entitled to do so. Bear in mind,
    however, that JSPs can be multi-section documents. You will still only
    be entitled to see the sections you need to see! (Or pages or
    paragraphs as required).

    Telling the recruitment bods you have had previous clearance should be
    sufficient information for them.

    If they are saying you must be familiar with the document to apply for a
    job, then tough. That is the biggest headache the MoD has with
    recruitment - finding people with experience.

    Want a proper Catch-22? If you have security clearance, you're not
    actually supposed to tell anyone.

    >A google search throws up plenty of references to it, just not the
    >specification itself.

    I should hope not!

    > Hence the request to Newsgroups.
    >
    >I would not expect anyone to share classified information via this medium,
    >but I would also not expect my local military instalation to have copies of
    >it sitting in reception. So short on asking for help from appropriate
    >public places, I am at a bit of a loss.

    If you think you have a need to know, then there will be a solution.
    Note, however, it is not you that has to have the need. It is typically
    your employer needing you to know.

    --
    Simon Reed,

    Simon Reed, Feb 13, 2004
  10. JM

    Si Guest

    Simon Reed <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > This is going to sound facetious but ...
    >
    > In article <c07n92$12uvte$-berlin.de>, JM
    > <> writes
    > >I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any relevant
    > >assignments at the moment.

    > There lies the problem. Protectively marked matter is only released on
    > a "need to know" basis. Having the clearance is not enough. If really
    > have the clearance then you should have had the corresponding training
    > and should know this.

    And if you've done any work with the Forces you should already be
    familiar with JSP440...

    > Once you need to see it, you will be entitled to do so. Bear in mind,
    > however, that JSPs can be multi-section documents. You will still only
    > be entitled to see the sections you need to see! (Or pages or
    > paragraphs as required).

    Hmmmm... theory is good. :)

    > Want a proper Catch-22? If you have security clearance, you're not
    > actually supposed to tell anyone.

    How about knowledge through inference? You could be in trouble ;)

    Si, Feb 13, 2004
  11. JM

    Dave J Guest

    In MsgID<> within uk.comp.security,
    'Simon Reed' wrote:

    >>JSP440, appears to be being discussed more in potential recruitment
    >>noticfications, and as this particular document is new to me I am trying to
    >>find it.

    >Once you need to see it, you will be entitled to do so. Bear in mind,
    >however, that JSPs can be multi-section documents. You will still only
    >be entitled to see the sections you need to see! (Or pages or
    >paragraphs as required).

    When you do see it, anonymously stick as much of it as you can out
    onto p2p or usenet somewhere. If it becomes public property then
    people will stop bellyaching about 'clearance'.

    Only time that clearance counts is when the road is snowed in.

    --
    Dave Johnson -
    "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for

    Dave J, Feb 14, 2004
  12. JM

    JM Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:33:12 +0000, Dave J wrote:

    > When you do see it, anonymously stick as much of it as you can out
    > onto p2p or usenet somewhere. If it becomes public property then
    > people will stop bellyaching about 'clearance'.

    Congradulations, you have been selected by our panel of anal retentive
    government security professionals for a free vacation to the USMC managed
    Health and Spa Resort at Camp Guantanamo. Suite 721 has been reserved in
    the name of 'Dave'. You will enjoy a wonderful view over looking the bay of
    this glorious Caribbean Resort, with gourmet meals served to you as a
    courtesy from our fine dining faucilities on station. A chaplan will be
    provided to you at your request to answer any questions you may have
    pertaining to daily activities and entertainment. For your reading needs a
    copy of your book of faith will be provided in your personal suite.

    JM, Feb 14, 2004
  13. JM

    Dave J Guest

    In MsgID<PvrXb.11301$> within
    uk.comp.security, 'JM' wrote:

    >Congradulations, you have been selected by our panel of anal retentive
    >government security professionals for a free vacation to the USMC managed
    >Health and Spa Resort at Camp Guantanamo. Suite 721 has been reserved in
    >the name of 'Dave'.

    Why, thank you kindly ;)

    >You will enjoy a wonderful view over looking the bay of
    >this glorious Caribbean Resort, with gourmet meals served to you as a
    >courtesy from our fine dining faucilities on station. A chaplan will be
    >provided to you at your request to answer any questions you may have
    >pertaining to daily activities and entertainment. For your reading needs a
    >copy of your book of faith will be provided in your personal suite.

    My current favorite quote is the right reply here, it was in my sig,
    but you might have missed it.

    Dave J, Feb 15, 2004
  14. JM

    JM Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:31:43 +0000, Dave J wrote:

    > In MsgID<PvrXb.11301$> within
    > uk.comp.security, 'JM' wrote:
    >
    >>Congradulations, you have been selected by our panel of anal retentive
    >>government security professionals for a free vacation to the USMC managed
    >>Health and Spa Resort at Camp Guantanamo. Suite 721 has been reserved in
    >>the name of 'Dave'.

    > Why, thank you kindly ;)
    >
    >>You will enjoy a wonderful view over looking the bay of
    >>this glorious Caribbean Resort, with gourmet meals served to you as a
    >>courtesy from our fine dining faucilities on station. A chaplan will be
    >>provided to you at your request to answer any questions you may have
    >>pertaining to daily activities and entertainment. For your reading needs a
    >>copy of your book of faith will be provided in your personal suite.

    > My current favorite quote is the right reply here, it was in my sig,
    > but you might have missed it.
    >
    > "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    > lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    > decision." - Benjamin Franklin

    ;)

    JM, Feb 15, 2004
  15. JM

    Steve Firth Guest

    JM <> wrote:

    > > "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    > > lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    > > decision." - Benjamin Franklin

    > ;)

    That's fine if you want to be a sheep.

    friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

    Steve Firth, Feb 15, 2004
  16. JM

    JM Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:41:46 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

    > JM <> wrote:
    >
    >>> "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    >>> lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    >>> decision." - Benjamin Franklin

    >> ;)

    > That's fine if you want to be a sheep.

    Prefer to be a hound; watch the sheep and chase the fox.

    JM, Feb 15, 2004
  17. JM

    Steve Firth Guest

    JM <> wrote:

    > >> ;)

    > > That's fine if you want to be a sheep.

    > Prefer to be a hound; watch the sheep and chase the fox.

    Where I live, we have wolves. In consequence the dogs tend to be a
    little less gung-ho.

    friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

    Steve Firth, Feb 16, 2004
  18. JM

    JM Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:50:13 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

    > JM <> wrote:

    >>> That's fine if you want to be a sheep.

    >> Prefer to be a hound; watch the sheep and chase the fox.

    > Where I live, we have wolves. In consequence the dogs tend to be a
    > little less gung-ho.

    We use hounds to hunt wolves, coyotes, mountain lions and bears here. With
    the later 2 they are used to tree the animal so that it may be darted and
    turned over to fish and game for release in a wilderness area away from
    people.

    JM, Feb 16, 2004

  19. > "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    > lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    > decision." - Benjamin Franklin

    In summary: the more guns you need, the weaker you are.

    -- Lassi

    Lassi =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hippel=E4inen?=, Feb 16, 2004
  20. JM

    Dave J Guest

    In MsgID<1g97q3h.4dnfs95dhmalN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk> within
    uk.comp.security, 'Steve Firth' wrote:

    >JM <> wrote:
    >
    >> > "A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
    >> > lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
    >> > decision." - Benjamin Franklin

    >> ;)

    >That's fine if you want to be a sheep.

    Ah, the trick is to evolve without donning a different uniform.

    --
    Dave Johnson -

    Dave J, Feb 16, 2004