    Mardon Guest

    I can't seem to find a version of the JRE for Vista x64 at
    www.Java.com. Can anyone tell me what JRE to install for Vista x64?
    Mardon, May 28, 2007

  2. Hi:
    There is still no x64 version that will enable Java in IE 64-bit if it is
    that what you are looking for.

    Java still can be used in Vista x64 but with the default browser, which is
    IE 32-bit.
    The file you need is "jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe"
    That is 32-bit Java, fully functional in Vista x64 with IE 32-bit.

    The 64-bit Java (the one labelled AMD64 or something like that) will install
    in Vista x64 but gives you no browser (i.e., IE 64-bit) support.
    Here you will find supported system configurations.
    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations.html

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 28, 2007

  3. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Hi:
    > There is still no x64 version that will enable Java in IE 64-bit
    > if it is that what you are looking for.
    >
    > Java still can be used in Vista x64 but with the default browser,
    > which is IE 32-bit.
    > The file you need is "jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe"
    > That is 32-bit Java, fully functional in Vista x64 with IE 32-bit.
    >
    > The 64-bit Java (the one labelled AMD64 or something like that)
    > will install in Vista x64 but gives you no browser (i.e., IE
    > 64-bit) support. Here you will find supported system
    > configurations.
    > http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations
    > .html
    >
    > Carlos

    Thank you Carlos. What you've said confirms what I suspected; that is,
    that there is no 64-bit support for an IE 64-bit browser. It sure
    seems like it's taking a long time for x64 to get proper support. It's
    not just Java either. For example, nVidia still hasn't issued a decent
    driver for its Quadro FX4400 display card. Anyway, that's another
    story. Thanks again for clarification on the JRE.
    Mardon, May 28, 2007
  4. Mardon

    Piers James Guest

    Carlos, Do you know what the point of the AMD64 version of Java is then?
    AFAIK, it doesn't even enable Java in 64 bit Firefox either, so is there any
    point in installing it?

    TIA

    Piers James, May 29, 2007
  5. There are people who use Java for more than just web applets. By
    installing the 64-bit virtual machine, Java apps suddenly become
    64-bit rather than 32-bit.

    Carl

    Carl Kaufmann, May 29, 2007
  6. Piers:
    I have found no point in installing Java 64-bit for Internet browsing
    purposes.
    It is simply useless.
    However I think I read in another post that 64-bit Java is useful for
    developers using another programs.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 29, 2007
  7. Mardon

    Allan Guest

    "Piers James" <> wrote in message
    > Carlos, Do you know what the point of the AMD64 version of Java is then?
    > AFAIK, it doesn't even enable Java in 64 bit Firefox either, so is there
    > any point in installing it?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi:
    >> There is still no x64 version that will enable Java in IE 64-bit if it is
    >> that what you are looking for.
    >>
    >> Java still can be used in Vista x64 but with the default browser, which
    >> is
    >> IE 32-bit.
    >> The file you need is "jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe"
    >> That is 32-bit Java, fully functional in Vista x64 with IE 32-bit.
    >>
    >> The 64-bit Java (the one labelled AMD64 or something like that) will
    >> install
    >> in Vista x64 but gives you no browser (i.e., IE 64-bit) support.
    >> Here you will find supported system configurations.
    >> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations.html
    >>
    >> Carlos
    >> "Mardon" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't seem to find a version of the JRE for Vista x64 at
    >>> www.Java.com. Can anyone tell me what JRE to install for Vista x64?

    Until you find a standalone x64 Java application that you need to install
    you are correct that it is unnecessary for you. I don't know of many myself.
    In 32-bit Java there is Azureus BitTorrent client and the i2p anonymizing
    router among many others.
    Allan, May 30, 2007
  8. Mardon

    Piers James Guest