JPG has no Date Modified

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. In a My Computer folder of 20 or so JPG files, one has no entry in the
    Date Modified column. Don't recall ever seeing that before. Remains
    the same if I move it elsewhere. Any ideas how that might arise
    please?

    Date Accessed and Date Created are both present if I choose to display
    them.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Feb 9, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > In a My Computer folder of 20 or so JPG files, one has no entry in the
    > Date Modified column. Don't recall ever seeing that before. Remains
    > the same if I move it elsewhere. Any ideas how that might arise
    > please?
    >
    > Date Accessed and Date Created are both present if I choose to display
    > them.

    Has it been modified?

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Hywel Jenkins <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> In a My Computer folder of 20 or so JPG files, one has no entry in the
    >> Date Modified column. Don't recall ever seeing that before. Remains
    >> the same if I move it elsewhere. Any ideas how that might arise
    >> please?
    >>
    >> Date Accessed and Date Created are both present if I choose to display
    >> them.

    >Has it been modified?

    Irrelevant. Date Modified should be automatically set by Explorer the
    same as Date Created.

    How many files on *your* system have no Date Modified entry?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Terry Pinnell

    HeritageMom Guest

    I've got a better one for you!!! I just checked MY "My Computer" file
    folder and the only thing stored in there are the sample pics that came
    with the program. (I have bazillions of my own but I store them under
    my documents...ANYHOO) Get this.....ALL of the 6 or so sample photos
    were "Created" on Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 3:12:59 PM and MODIFIED
    on Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 3:00:00 AM...

    NOW...explain to me how you can MODIFY a file that didn't exist for
    another WEEK??? Things that make you go.......hummmmmmmmmmmmm
    HeritageMom, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Terry Pinnell

    ASAAR Guest

    On 10 Feb 2006 00:44:27 -0800, HeritageMom wrote:

    > I've got a better one for you!!! I just checked MY "My Computer" file
    > folder and the only thing stored in there are the sample pics that came
    > with the program. (I have bazillions of my own but I store them under
    > my documents...ANYHOO) Get this.....ALL of the 6 or so sample photos
    > were "Created" on Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 3:12:59 PM and MODIFIED
    > on Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 3:00:00 AM...
    >
    > NOW...explain to me how you can MODIFY a file that didn't exist for
    > another WEEK??? Things that make you go.......hummmmmmmmmmmmm

    At the time the pictures were transferred there may have been a
    date discrepancy of a week between the camera and the computer? I
    don't know if such a time difference would have that effect, though.
    I occasionally shift the computer's date/time by a considerable
    amount when using touch.exe to modify file times & dates. Once I
    forgot to set it back to the correct time and someone in this ng
    noticed that one of my replies didn't have the expected time stamp.
    ASAAR, Feb 10, 2006
  6. "HeritageMom" <> wrote:

    >I've got a better one for you!!! I just checked MY "My Computer" file
    >folder and the only thing stored in there are the sample pics that came
    >with the program. (I have bazillions of my own but I store them under
    >my documents...ANYHOO) Get this.....ALL of the 6 or so sample photos
    >were "Created" on Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 3:12:59 PM and MODIFIED
    >on Wednesday, August 04, 2004, 3:00:00 AM...
    >
    >NOW...explain to me how you can MODIFY a file that didn't exist for
    >another WEEK??? Things that make you go.......hummmmmmmmmmmmm

    Yes, I come across such puzzles quite often. Here are a few examples
    of previous posts I've made here:

    Subject: Puzzling file date taken entry
    Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:02:28 +0000

    Subject: More on photo date ambiguities
    Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:46:02 +0100

    Subject: 'Picture Taken' v 'Original'
    Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 18:08:27 +0100

    Subject: Date Created v Date Taken?
    Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:54:14 +0000

    But I don't think I've ever encountered a file with *no* Date
    Modified...

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

  7. Terry Pinnell

    Jan Guest

    > But I don't think I've ever encountered a file with *no* Date
    > Modified...

    I've seen this recently in ACDSEE.
    After renaming most files to a new name, the modified date was not displayed
    anymore in ACDSEE.
    Files, which were not renamed, were still showing the modified date.

    Jan
    Jan, Feb 10, 2006
  8. "Jan" <> wrote:

    >> But I don't think I've ever encountered a file with *no* Date
    >> Modified...

    >I've seen this recently in ACDSEE.
    >After renaming most files to a new name, the modified date was not displayed
    >anymore in ACDSEE.
    >Files, which were not renamed, were still showing the modified date.

    In my case I'd worked on the file (Point01.jpg) as follows:
    - Created 24th Jan by screen capture from a map program
    - Cropped and saved with IrfanView
    - Worked on it a lot in Windows Movie Maker
    - Renamed various times, both within Movie Maker and in Explorer
    - Displayed various cols like Dimension within the Explorer folder

    It's the only one of 20 that doesn't show a modified date in Explorer.
    Hmm - I've just examined Point01.jpg in IrfanView with
    Image|Information, and its File date/time field says:
    08/07/28980 / 18:42:35 Just a bit ahead of itself there!

    Point02.jpg for example has 24/01/2006 / 15:50:55.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Feb 11, 2006