    documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't seem to have been
    deleted - just gone.

    Any ideas?
    Geoff Pearson, Nov 3, 2007

  2. "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >> A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some mysterious

    > crash
    >> all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty structure of folders in her
    >> documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't seem to have been
    >> deleted - just gone.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > stop using the machine at once
    > then slave the drive to another machine with the data recovery software on
    > it.
    >
    > if nothing turns up see if there are a lot of .chk files
    >
    > if not , try running chkdsk /f
    >
    > now see if there are any chk files.
    >
    > then rename the chk files to jpg and see if any are usable
    >

    > NOTE: jpg (and txt) are very often recoverable...
    > though the results with other file formats generally are not so promising

    I did take it out to do recovery. I'm off to look at CHK files
    Geoff Pearson, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Geoff Pearson

    philo Guest

    philo, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Geoff Pearson

    philo Guest

    not so promising

    > I did take it out to do recovery. I'm off to look at CHK files

    OK post back with what you find (or do not find)
    philo, Nov 3, 2007
  5. Geoff Pearson

    chuckcar Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in

    > A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some mysterious
    > crash all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty structure of
    > folders in her documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't
    > seem to have been deleted - just gone.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    You might also scan the drive for viri/trojans. Some viri/trojans do
    delete jpg's - along with other more important files such as *.txt *.doc
    *.exe.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 3, 2007
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Tony Guest

    Just right click on any of the folders and click on properties. If there's
    something there it'll show up under properties as something other than 0 or an
    empty folder.

    Tony, Nov 3, 2007
  7. Geoff Pearson

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some mysterious crash
    > all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty structure of folders in her
    > documents. I've done some file recovery but they don't seem to have been
    > deleted - just gone.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    There IS a virus that does this!
    I've seen it happen, but can't recall the name.
    Rick Merrill, Nov 3, 2007
  8. Geoff Pearson

    chuckcar Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote in

    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> A friend has brought me her laptop (XP) in which after some
    >> mysterious crash all her jpg files have gone leaving an empty
    >> structure of folders in her documents. I've done some file recovery
    >> but they don't seem to have been deleted - just gone.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > There IS a virus that does this!
    > I've seen it happen, but can't recall the name.

    Several. Some trojans too.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 3, 2007
  9. Geoff Pearson

    Tony Guest

    Love Letter or I Love You virus. It deletes the Jay Pigs and puts in dummy files.
    Changes the extension to .vbs

    Tony, Nov 4, 2007