    Could someone give me file sizes for 6x4, 7x5, 10x8 etc

    Or am i being too simplistic!

    thanks in advance
    mark heinemann, Apr 27, 2004

  2. mark heinemann

    Lung Fish Guest

    (mark heinemann) wrote in
    news::

    > My friend has given me some .jpg's on a cd
    > All the info I have is that they range from 550 - 700Kbytes each.
    >
    > Obviously, I want the developers to print as big as possible - what
    > size should i ask for.?
    >
    > Could someone give me file sizes for 6x4, 7x5, 10x8 etc
    >
    > Or am i being too simplistic!
    >
    > thanks in advance

    File size (in bytes) is not an important factor.
    Photo size (in pixels) is the important number.

    What you want to try to get is the pixel range. If you have a 6MP image
    (3000x2000), you can print great output at 300dpi, translating to 10x6.67
    inches. If you are willing to accept 200dpi output (and most consumers
    are), you can get 15x10 inch prints.

    So just take your print size desired, multiply by 200 or 300 dpi, and get
    the number of pixels that you should have in your print.
    Lung Fish, Apr 27, 2004

  3. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:01:16 -0500, Lung Fish
    <> wrote:

    > (mark heinemann) wrote in
    >
    >> My friend has given me some .jpg's on a cd
    >> All the info I have is that they range from 550 - 700Kbytes each.
    >>
    >> Obviously, I want the developers to print as big as possible - what
    >> size should i ask for.?
    >>
    >> Could someone give me file sizes for 6x4, 7x5, 10x8 etc
    >>

    >File size (in bytes) is not an important factor.
    >Photo size (in pixels) is the important number.
    >
    >What you want to try to get is the pixel range. If you have a 6MP image
    >(3000x2000), you can print great output at 300dpi, translating to 10x6.67
    >inches. If you are willing to accept 200dpi output (and most consumers
    >are), you can get 15x10 inch prints.
    >
    >So just take your print size desired, multiply by 200 or 300 dpi, and get
    >the number of pixels that you should have in your print.

    Isn't it also worth suggestion that you could use software to increase
    the number of pixels. You won't get any more detail but this will
    remove jpeg artifacts that would be noticeable in a large print.

    --

    ....malcolm

    Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
    (, or ).
    Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
    electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

    http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

    NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)
    Malcolm Reeves, Apr 27, 2004
  4. "mark heinemann" <> wrote in message
    > My friend has given me some .jpg's on a cd
    > All the info I have is that they range from 550 - 700Kbytes each.
    >
    > Obviously, I want the developers to print as big as possible - what
    > size should i ask for.?
    >
    > Could someone give me file sizes for 6x4, 7x5, 10x8 etc
    >
    > Or am i being too simplistic!
    >
    > thanks in advance

    One way to get information that you need about a picture is to open it in
    MS Internet Explorer and right-click on the image. Look at the properties,
    which will include the dimension in pixels.
    Marvin Margoshes, Apr 27, 2004
  5. mark heinemann

    DigiGeek Guest

    On 27 Apr 2004 06:49:28 -0700, (mark
    heinemann) wrote:

    >My friend has given me some .jpg's on a cd
    >All the info I have is that they range from 550 - 700Kbytes each.
    >
    >Obviously, I want the developers to print as big as possible - what
    >size should i ask for.?
    >
    >Could someone give me file sizes for 6x4, 7x5, 10x8 etc
    >
    >Or am i being too simplistic!
    >
    >thanks in advance

    In general, most agree that you need at least 200 DPI for decent
    prints. If you just multiply the size dimensions (in inches) times 200
    or 300, you'll get a good idea.

    You could also try "PC Photo Kiosk". It's free (long as you don't
    print - then you must register it). One of the nice things is that you
    can set the printer page resolution and it has a 100% view in the main
    dialog. If you see blotches and/or pixel artifacts, the image does not
    have enough resolution for the size you're trying to print.
    DigiGeek, Apr 28, 2004
  6. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:36:06 +0100, Malcolm Reeves
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:01:16 -0500, Lung Fish
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> (mark heinemann) wrote in
    >>
    >>> My friend has given me some .jpg's on a cd
    >>> All the info I have is that they range from 550 - 700Kbytes each.
    >>>
    >>> Obviously, I want the developers to print as big as possible - what
    >>> size should i ask for.?
    >>>
    >>> Could someone give me file sizes for 6x4, 7x5, 10x8 etc
    >>>

    >>File size (in bytes) is not an important factor.
    >>Photo size (in pixels) is the important number.
    >>
    >>What you want to try to get is the pixel range. If you have a 6MP image
    >>(3000x2000), you can print great output at 300dpi, translating to 10x6.67
    >>inches. If you are willing to accept 200dpi output (and most consumers
    >>are), you can get 15x10 inch prints.
    >>
    >>So just take your print size desired, multiply by 200 or 300 dpi, and get
    >>the number of pixels that you should have in your print.

    >Isn't it also worth suggestion that you could use software to increase
    >the number of pixels. You won't get any more detail but this will
    >remove jpeg artifacts that would be noticeable in a large print.

    Yes, if you use a good up-scaler like lancos within qimage
    (ddisoftware) then you can add sharpening and other things to the
    final output before sending to the printers.

    Personally, I find its easier to work out what the printers can
    handle, then up-scale before sending, with qimage (and no I dont work
    for them, lol) its quite often better than most printers RIP software.
    --
    Jonathan Wilson.
    www.somethingerotic.com
    Jonathan Wilson, Apr 29, 2004