    picture
    Laszlo
    , Jan 29, 2007

  2. On 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, <> wrote:
    > Greet to group,
    > I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    > Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    > selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    > to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    > picture
    > Laszlo

    _Please_ tell me this is a joke. I'm hardly a fan of GWB, but claiming
    that his administration "deliberately degraded" jpeg images is asinine
    to the extreme, about one step removed from claiming that the government
    faked the mmon landings with the help of alien technology stored at Area
    51.

    For starters, the JPG specification predates GWB's administration by
    almost a decade.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Greet to group,
    > I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    > Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    > selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    > to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    > picture
    > Laszlo

    Yes.

    You had also better continue wearing your foil Beanie, otherwise the TV News
    Presenters will be able to read your mind.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Jan 29, 2007
  4. Jim Townsend Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > On 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, <> wrote:
    >> Greet to group,
    >> I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    >> Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    >> selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    >> to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    >> picture
    >> Laszlo

    > _Please_ tell me this is a joke.

    It's more of a troll.

    JPEG was developed and is maintained by the Joint Photographic Experts Group.
    The name came from the initials.

    Back in the days when there was no broadband and people used 300 baud modems
    compressing graphics was an absolute necessity.

    http://www.jpeg.org/
    Jim Townsend, Jan 29, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > Greet to group,
    > I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    > Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    > selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    > to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    > picture
    > Laszlo

    So glad I switched to jpeg2000 then!

    DP
    Dennis Pogson, Jan 29, 2007
  6. That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.

    Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
    Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
    as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
    regulation by and oversight of the US Government.

    Regulations were composed and implemented to enable this oversight.
    All devices capable of recording images (such as digital cameras) are
    required to automatically transmit the images to the Library of
    Strategic Images (LSI), which is overseen by the National Security
    Agency (NSA). Previously manufactured devices were retroactively
    modified through remote means to comply with these regulations. After
    arriving at the LSI, the images are transmitted back to the user's
    device (these being the copies of the images you see).

    Similarly, computer software that creates JPG images transmit the
    images to the LSI via the Internet. After being transmitted to the LSI
    and cataloged, they are transmitted back to the sending machine
    (identified by the UUID of the host system).

    The LSI maintains copies of every JPG image ever created—past,
    present, and future. The LSI has an enormous staff that is tasked with
    reviewing and evaluating each new JPG picture taken, anywhere in the
    world. In addition to the visual content, other data is maintain for
    each image, including: author/photographer, make and model of camera,
    date and time the image was taken, exposure readings, and white
    balance settings.

    There have been rumors of some of these JPG images being degraded.
    Subsequent research and information gained through the Freedom of
    Information Act (FoIA) have revealed that this occurs only with people
    currently under investigation for connections with terror
    organizations, organized crime, and gross nutrition offenses.
    Apparently, when someone is under investigation, the images are
    diverted to any additional (top secret) location between the device
    and the LSI. This extra diversion results in the degragation where the
    person taking the picture does not get 100% of the picture. Typically,
    though, only 10% of the picture is lost in this process (known as the
    Brown-Curley CYMK 300 Bifurcation Process).

    The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
    return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
    via the Internet.

    Steve Koterski, Jan 29, 2007
  7. John Ortt Guest

    "Steve Koterski" <> wrote in message
    > That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.
    >
    > Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
    > Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
    > as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
    > regulation by and oversight of the US Government.
    >
    > Regulations were composed and implemented to enable this oversight.
    > All devices capable of recording images (such as digital cameras) are
    > required to automatically transmit the images to the Library of
    > Strategic Images (LSI), which is overseen by the National Security
    > Agency (NSA). Previously manufactured devices were retroactively
    > modified through remote means to comply with these regulations. After
    > arriving at the LSI, the images are transmitted back to the user's
    > device (these being the copies of the images you see).
    >
    > Similarly, computer software that creates JPG images transmit the
    > images to the LSI via the Internet. After being transmitted to the LSI
    > and cataloged, they are transmitted back to the sending machine
    > (identified by the UUID of the host system).
    >
    > The LSI maintains copies of every JPG image ever created-past,
    > present, and future. The LSI has an enormous staff that is tasked with
    > reviewing and evaluating each new JPG picture taken, anywhere in the
    > world. In addition to the visual content, other data is maintain for
    > each image, including: author/photographer, make and model of camera,
    > date and time the image was taken, exposure readings, and white
    > balance settings.
    >
    > There have been rumors of some of these JPG images being degraded.
    > Subsequent research and information gained through the Freedom of
    > Information Act (FoIA) have revealed that this occurs only with people
    > currently under investigation for connections with terror
    > organizations, organized crime, and gross nutrition offenses.
    > Apparently, when someone is under investigation, the images are
    > diverted to any additional (top secret) location between the device
    > and the LSI. This extra diversion results in the degragation where the
    > person taking the picture does not get 100% of the picture. Typically,
    > though, only 10% of the picture is lost in this process (known as the
    > Brown-Curley CYMK 300 Bifurcation Process).
    >
    > The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
    > return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
    > via the Internet.

    Glad that's all cleared up : )
    John Ortt, Jan 29, 2007
  8. Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Greet to group,
    > I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    > Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    > selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    > to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    > picture
    > Laszlo

    Gawd. Is ANYONE going to be stupid enough to fall for this troll?

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Jan 29, 2007
  9. Cgiorgio Guest

    LOL, It really looks like some people did not even get 10 % of the picture.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 29, 2007
  10. Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <45be2ef9$>, John Ortt
    <> wrote:

    > "Steve Koterski" <> wrote in message
    > > That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.
    > >
    > > Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
    > > Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
    > > as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
    > > regulation by and oversight of the US Government.

    <snip>

    > > The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
    > > return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
    > > via the Internet.
    > >

    > Glad that's all cleared up : )

    Hehe. That's almost as good as some of the true urban legend articles
    floating around out there. Steve should add writing conspiracy theory
    books (á la DaVinci Code, etc.) to photography as a hobby/profession.
    <g>

    Betcha that if you let that article out into the wild of the rest of
    usenet, and especially if you added some sort of "tax on .jpg images"
    bit to it (similar to the old "modem tax" urban legend), you'd have a
    great run with it. :^)

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Jan 29, 2007
  11. JPG DOES degrade the image. But, it has nothing to do with the US government
    or GWB. It has to do with JPG being a lossy compression format. It was
    designed from the ground up to loose image data that is how it takes a 4MB
    and gets it down to 512k.

    ljc

    --
    Do not assume that because I didn't reply to your comments that you are
    correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 29, 2007
  12. Hey. I tried to cover the bases. If the OP is a troll, then this is
    making fun of him (in an obssessed geek sort of way). If the OP is one
    of those tin hat types who is off his meds, it'll give some depth to
    his delusions. At the least, it should leave him scratching his head.

    Steve Koterski, Jan 29, 2007
  13. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:19:58 -0800, Ken Lucke <>
    wrote:

    >In article <45be2ef9$>, John Ortt
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Koterski" <> wrote in message
    >> > That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.
    >> >
    >> > Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
    >> > Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
    >> > as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
    >> > regulation by and oversight of the US Government.
    >> >

    ><snip>
    >

    >> > The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
    >> > return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
    >> > via the Internet.
    >> >

    >> Glad that's all cleared up : )
    >>

    >Hehe. That's almost as good as some of the true urban legend articles
    >floating around out there. Steve should add writing conspiracy theory
    >books (á la DaVinci Code, etc.) to photography as a hobby/profession.
    ><g>

    Thanks! Someone who recognized my post for what it was.

    >Betcha that if you let that article out into the wild of the rest of
    >usenet, and especially if you added some sort of "tax on .jpg images"
    >bit to it (similar to the old "modem tax" urban legend), you'd have a
    >great run with it. :^)

    Oooh. A tax on JPGs. That's a good one. <evil grin>

    There actually is a tax on JPG images. It was implemented by Congress
    shortly after the Mayaguez Incident in 1973...

    BTW, I did double-check the headers on the OP before replying with my
    satire, just to make sure it would not be cross-posted to some
    conspiracy theory newsgroups.
    Steve Koterski, Jan 29, 2007
  14. AustinMN Guest

    On Jan 29, 11:50 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Greet to group,
    > > I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    > > Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    > > selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    > > to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    > > picture
    > > Laszlo

    > Gawd. Is ANYONE going to be stupid enough to fall for this troll?

    Looks like Little Juice Coupe already did.

    Austin
    AustinMN, Jan 29, 2007
  15. John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:41:44 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
    <> wrote:

    >On 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, <> wrote:
    >> Greet to group,
    >> I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    >> Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    >> selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    >> to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    >> picture
    >> Laszlo

    >_Please_ tell me this is a joke. I'm hardly a fan of GWB, but claiming
    >that his administration "deliberately degraded" jpeg images is asinine
    >to the extreme, about one step removed from claiming that the government
    >faked the mmon landings with the help of alien technology stored at Area
    >51.

    They didn't? Are you sure? You'll be telling me next that
    there's no Father Christmas...

    >For starters, the JPG specification predates GWB's administration by
    >almost a decade.

    They have time travel, obvious. How else could anybody as
    stupid as GWB get to be so rich?

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jan 29, 2007
  16. ray Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, lplook wrote:

    > Greet to group,
    > I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    > Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    > selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    > to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    > picture
    > Laszlo

    B.S. jpg is made degraded because it is a lossy format. There is supposed
    to be a lossless form, but no one ever implemented it.
    ray, Jan 29, 2007
  17. Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    AustinMN <> wrote:

    > On Jan 29, 11:50 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > >
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > Greet to group,
    > > > I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
    > > > Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
    > > > selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
    > > > to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
    > > > picture
    > > > Laszlo

    > > Gawd. Is ANYONE going to be stupid enough to fall for this troll?

    > Looks like Little Juice Coupe already did.

    Oh, he's been killfiled since the second post I saw from him, so I
    wouldn't know.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Jan 29, 2007
  18. Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:32:43 -0500, Steve Koterski
    <> wrote:

    >That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.
    >
    >Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
    >Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
    >as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
    >regulation by and oversight of the US Government.
    >
    >Regulations were composed and implemented to enable this oversight.
    >All devices capable of recording images (such as digital cameras) are
    >required to automatically transmit the images to the Library of
    >Strategic Images (LSI), which is overseen by the National Security
    >Agency (NSA). Previously manufactured devices were retroactively
    >modified through remote means to comply with these regulations. After
    >arriving at the LSI, the images are transmitted back to the user's
    >device (these being the copies of the images you see).
    >
    >Similarly, computer software that creates JPG images transmit the
    >images to the LSI via the Internet. After being transmitted to the LSI
    >and cataloged, they are transmitted back to the sending machine
    >(identified by the UUID of the host system).
    >
    >The LSI maintains copies of every JPG image ever created—past,
    >present, and future. The LSI has an enormous staff that is tasked with
    >reviewing and evaluating each new JPG picture taken, anywhere in the
    >world. In addition to the visual content, other data is maintain for
    >each image, including: author/photographer, make and model of camera,
    >date and time the image was taken, exposure readings, and white
    >balance settings.
    >
    >There have been rumors of some of these JPG images being degraded.
    >Subsequent research and information gained through the Freedom of
    >Information Act (FoIA) have revealed that this occurs only with people
    >currently under investigation for connections with terror
    >organizations, organized crime, and gross nutrition offenses.
    >Apparently, when someone is under investigation, the images are
    >diverted to any additional (top secret) location between the device
    >and the LSI. This extra diversion results in the degragation where the
    >person taking the picture does not get 100% of the picture. Typically,
    >though, only 10% of the picture is lost in this process (known as the
    >Brown-Curley CYMK 300 Bifurcation Process).
    >
    >The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
    >return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
    >via the Internet.

    You forgot to mention the camera that's imbedded in all monitors to
    enable the LSI to identify just who is looking at these pictures. This
    includes cameras in camera LCDs.
    If the viewer is ID'd as a suspected terrorist, the images are
    immediately wiped from all forms of storage.

    This is why we see so many people here complaining of lost pics from
    their storage cards.

    --
    Reggie Bush, according to
    federal agents, turned up
    Bill Funk, Jan 29, 2007
  19. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:41:44 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
    <> wrote:
    >to the extreme, about one step removed from claiming that the government
    >faked the mmon landings with the help of alien technology stored at Area
    >51.

    You are wrong. The world scientific community agrees that we have not
    yet developed technology for even observing much less landing on mmon.
    According to Dr. Capensis Delphinus, one of the most intelligent
    beings on the earth, the technology required for observing mmon
    properly will not be developed for another 42 years. Thus NASA's
    claims of landing on mmon are completely false. These claims were made
    by some NASA scientist after having too many Pan Galactic Gargle
    Blasters.

    Hope this has cleared the matter.

    Have a nice day,
    Pradeep
    --
    All opinions are mine and do not represent the views or
    policies of my employer.
    R Pradeep Chandran, Jan 29, 2007
  20. J. Clarke Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:07:50 -0600, R Pradeep Chandran <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:41:44 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
    ><> wrote:
    >>to the extreme, about one step removed from claiming that the government
    >>faked the mmon landings with the help of alien technology stored at Area
    >>51.

    >You are wrong. The world scientific community agrees that we have not
    >yet developed technology for even observing much less landing on mmon.
    >According to Dr. Capensis Delphinus, one of the most intelligent
    >beings on the earth, the technology required for observing mmon
    >properly will not be developed for another 42 years. Thus NASA's
    >claims of landing on mmon are completely false. These claims were made
    >by some NASA scientist after having too many Pan Galactic Gargle
    >Blasters.
    >
    >Hope this has cleared the matter.

    I don't think that there's any question that the government faked any
    mmon landings. But how about the moon?
    J. Clarke, Jan 29, 2007