    JPEG-JFIF file"

    Other editors don't recognise them either.

    Cheers
    John Richardson, Oct 28, 2003

  2. John Richardson

    Max of Mad Guest

    John Richardson wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to repair corrupt jpegs. please?
    >
    > When I try to open them in PSP I get the message "This is not a valid
    > JPEG-JFIF file"
    >
    > Other editors don't recognise them either.
    >
    > Cheers

    I've occasionally run across this problem too.

    Some JPEG files are non-standard for some reason. Most of the time, it
    is a jpeg from a Mac program...I've forgotten which ones caused it, but
    it was usually a macintosh saved image. (I have nothing against Macs, btw.)

    Try loading the image using Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla and
    see if it shows. If it does, try right clicking on it and then saving
    it to a separate file, and then see if you can load the saved image into
    your editor.

    Max of Mad
    --
    Leave a tone after the message
    Max of Mad, Oct 28, 2003

  3. John Richardson wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to repair corrupt jpegs. please?
    >
    > When I try to open them in PSP I get the message "This is not a valid
    > JPEG-JFIF file"
    >
    > Other editors don't recognise them either.
    >
    > Cheers

    Since no other program seems to be able to understand the file, first
    order of business is to make sure the file IS a JPEG...

    Copy the .jpg file then do this with the copy.....
    Change the file extention to .TXT
    Open the file with WordPad
    the first few characters SHOULD show JFIF / JPEG...
    If you see something else, the file is typically not JPEG format.

    As for "fixing" it, that's going to be tough - you'r dealing with a
    compressed data file. If it got hosed at some point, chances are it'll
    be hosed all the way through.

    Who knows - someone might know about a util to do exactly that.

    BuffNEd a chnical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 28, 2003
  4. John Richardson

    Plato Guest

    John Richardson wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to repair corrupt jpegs. please?

    Generally they are not repairable.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 29, 2003