    saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
    first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

    Joe.

    Joe, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Joe

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:34:44 GMT, "Joe" <> wrote:

    >Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
    >your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it only
    >saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
    >first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

    An example of this website would help.

    Evan Platt, Aug 9, 2007

  3. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:34:44 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
    >your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it only
    >saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
    >first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

    A URL for an example is always handy.

    Check if there is a similar question in alt.html.

    JavaScript, Transparent GIF, layers.... iframe?

    Maybe it's not div's and positioning.

    Other browsers?

    Me

    why?, Aug 9, 2007
  4. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:34:44 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save the photos to
    >your hard drive and instead when you select 'save target as' in IE, it only
    >saves a file called 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
    >first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?

    Simple JavaScript rollover to swap URLs for the image.

    Me

    why?, Aug 9, 2007
  5. Joe

    thanatoid Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in

    > Recently I've noticed that some websites don't let you save
    > the photos to your hard drive and instead when you select
    > 'save target as' in IE, it only saves a file called
    > 'dot.jpg' and it's app 1Kb. I was intrigued by this at
    > first, but now wonder how it's done? Anyone know?
    >
    > Joe.

    You can sometimes get around this and save the image anyway by
    turning off Java or by using the OffByOne browser, one of the
    best kept secrets in the hell that is www (IMHO).

    Depending on your browser, it is also quite possible that the
    image ends up in the cache anyway, just with an
    incorrect/misleading extension and some insane name.

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

    thanatoid, Aug 10, 2007
  6. Joe

    sittingduck Guest

    Scott W. Wetmore wrote:

    > dot.jpg is most likely just a placeholder graphic. The author of the site
    > has placed the very tiny "dot.jpg", image over the image you are viewing
    > (and attempting to save), and has coded it to not display. This prevents
    > most users from swiping images by right clicking.

    Dump your cache and revisit the site.
    Check your browser's temp files, and the picture will be there.

    sittingduck, Aug 10, 2007
  7. Joe,

    dot.jpg is most likely just a placeholder graphic. The author of the site
    has placed the very tiny "dot.jpg", image over the image you are viewing
    (and attempting to save), and has coded it to not display. This prevents
    most users from swiping images by right clicking.

    Scott

    Scott W. Wetmore, Aug 10, 2007