jpeg pix on SD card recognized by PC and printers, but not by camera.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Morton, May 23, 2007.

  1. Morton

    Morton Guest

    Hi,

    I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB,
    and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card reader,
    followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double backup
    worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the SD card
    back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even though the
    total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were really there.
    My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card, and so does my
    PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon SD 550, and that
    also read "no images".

    Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras do
    not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.

    I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.

    Any advice will be appreciated.

    Morton

    Morton, May 23, 2007

  2. Morton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:23:59 -0400, Morton wrote:

    > I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB,
    > and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card reader,
    > followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double backup
    > worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the SD card
    > back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even though the
    > total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were really there.
    > My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card, and so does my
    > PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon SD 550, and that
    > also read "no images".
    >
    > Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras do
    > not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    > Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.
    >
    > I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.
    >
    > Any advice will be appreciated.

    The images are obviously still on the card, but if they've been
    moved to different folders, your SD800 probably wouldn't see them
    even though your printer and PC can still find them. What are the
    names of the folders where the pictures are stored? Many Canon
    cameras won't see them unless they're stored in a folder structure
    something like this :

    H:\ (root directory)
    H:\DCIM
    H:\DCIM/100CANON
    H:\DCIM/101CANON
    . . .
    H:\DCIM/109CANON
    etc.

    After copying images to my computer, if there's still lots of free
    space on my cards, whether I've backed the images up or not, I'll
    usually move the copied images to new folders, such as :

    H:\saved\flowers
    H:\saved\family

    My Canon A620 won't see images copied to other folders. Some of
    my other cameras will show them, even going so far as to indicate in
    small text superimposed over the images the names of the
    non-standard folders where they are stored. If you put your Sandisk
    Ultra II back in the camera and take a test picture, it will either
    store it in the same folder that was used to store the last pictures
    you took, or the picture will be saved in a new folder whose number
    is incremented by 1. This assumes that you have one of the menu
    items (I think it's called File # Reset) disabled and the card
    hasn't been formatted. After taking the picture, put the card back
    in the card reader and see where everything is stored.

    BTW, when copying the images to your computer, did you do it
    manually, using a file browser such as Windows Explorer, or did you
    use some kind of photo app? Sometimes these apps keep track of
    which files were copied in order to prevent multiple copies being
    sent to the computer if you run the app. several times. The ones
    I've seen are well behaved, keeping this information in its own
    database. Poorly written ones *might* move the files to another
    folder on the card to get the same result, but I'm not aware of any
    apps. that actually do this.

    ASAAR, May 23, 2007

  3. Re: jpeg pix on SD card recognized by PC and printers, but not bycamera.

    Morton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB,
    > and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card reader,
    > followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double backup
    > worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the SD card
    > back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even though the
    > total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were really there.
    > My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card, and so does my
    > PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon SD 550, and that
    > also read "no images".
    >
    > Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras do
    > not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    > Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.
    >
    > I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.
    >
    > Any advice will be appreciated.

    Any??? <s.>

    What do you expect the camera to do with them? Display on a tv?

    If they've been processed in any way, or moved, or given different
    names, the camera is unlikely, as you've discovered, to display them,
    although they take up room on the card.

    I'd simply reformat the card in camera, which effectively erases and
    reformats the card, which is probably perfectly o.k.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, May 23, 2007
  4. Morton

    Mark² Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB,
    > and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card
    > reader, followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double
    > backup worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the
    > SD card back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even
    > though the total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were
    > really there. My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card,
    > and so does my PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon
    > SD 550, and that also read "no images".
    >
    > Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras
    > do not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    > Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.
    >
    > I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.
    >
    > Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Morton

    Did you, by chance, perform any editing to the on-card image file? If so,
    it may not be readable.

    The solution should be simple enough... Format the card in-camera and you
    should be good to go. -Just be sure you don't accidentally open the files
    for editing directly from the card. -Or...if you do...just make sure you
    don't save the altered file back to the card.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², May 23, 2007
  5. Morton

    Bob AZ Guest

    On May 22, 5:23?pm, Morton <> wrote:
    > Hi,

    I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.

    > Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Morton

    Morton
    In another earlier post a person had a somewhat similar problem. The
    consensus seemed to be to just download from the camera/card to a
    folder where you will keep your images for processing. BUT don't do
    anything to the images until you disconnect the camera or card. My
    download program from Microsoft has the option of erasing the pictures
    from the card before the program closes. I don't have this feature
    enabled but I immediately disconnect the camera/card when the
    downloading is completed.

    Bob AZ

    Bob AZ, May 23, 2007
  6. Morton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB,
    > and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card reader,
    > followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double backup
    > worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the SD card
    > back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even though the
    > total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were really there.
    > My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card, and so does my
    > PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon SD 550, and that
    > also read "no images".
    >
    > Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras do
    > not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    > Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.
    >
    > I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.
    >
    > Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Morton

    It is possible that Vista wrote something to the card when you
    transfered the pictures to the computer. Since you have copies of the
    images, try formatting the card in the camera and see if that reenables
    it for use.

    Ron Hunter, May 23, 2007
  7. Re: jpeg pix on SD card recognized by PC and printers, but not bycamera.

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Morton wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB,
    >> and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card
    >> reader, followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double
    >> backup worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the
    >> SD card back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even
    >> though the total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were
    >> really there. My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card,
    >> and so does my PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon
    >> SD 550, and that also read "no images".
    >>
    >> Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras
    >> do not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    >> Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.
    >>
    >> I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.
    >>
    >> Any advice will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Morton

    > It is possible that Vista wrote something to the card when you
    > transfered the pictures to the computer. Since you have copies of the
    > images, try formatting the card in the camera and see if that reenables
    > it for use.

    This suggestion has been made at least twice, yesterday. Are the replies
    not getting to your server, or are you selectively reading?

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, May 23, 2007
  8. Morton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Morton wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1
    >>> GB, and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card
    >>> reader, followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double
    >>> backup worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the
    >>> SD card back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even
    >>> though the total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were
    >>> really there. My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card,
    >>> and so does my PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon
    >>> SD 550, and that also read "no images".
    >>>
    >>> Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras
    >>> do not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    >>> Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.
    >>>
    >>> I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice will be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Morton

    >> It is possible that Vista wrote something to the card when you
    >> transfered the pictures to the computer. Since you have copies of the
    >> images, try formatting the card in the camera and see if that
    >> reenables it for use.

    > This suggestion has been made at least twice, yesterday. Are the replies
    > not getting to your server, or are you selectively reading?

    I read a message, and reply to it. I don't read the messages from the
    bottom up. If my remarks aren't useful, feel free to ignore them.

    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2007
  9. Morton

    Morton Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have about 40 important images on an SD card, SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB,
    > and transferred them to my Vista Home Premium laptop via a card reader,
    > followed by burning to a CD-R. Thank goodness that the double backup
    > worked. I did no deleting anywhere. Soon after, when I put the SD card
    > back into the Canon SD 800, the screen read "no images", even though the
    > total pix remaining readout indicated that the images were really there.
    > My HP printer does recognize the images on the SD card, and so does my
    > PC. I then tried the card in my backup camera, a Canon SD 550, and that
    > also read "no images".
    >
    > Luckily, I have the double backup. However, I wonder why the cameras do
    > not recognize the images on the card, but the printer and PC do.
    > Strange, especially since I did not delete or change anything.
    >
    > I do not trust that card, and will no longer use it.
    >
    > Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Morton

    Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies. Inasmuch as I did not edit or
    change file names while the SD card was connected to my PC, the
    suggestion that Vista rewrote something onto the card is a possible, but
    somewhat frightening one. The images went from the card to the PC via a
    card reader and the USB socket, and the card reader was safely removed
    from the PC before I did any work on the images in the PC. I really
    don't want Bill Gates to change my card contents.

    Thanks again.

    I'll reformat the card and give it another try.

    Morton

    Morton, May 25, 2007