JPEG files not being recognised by domestic DVD player

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nick@godkin.wanadoo.co.uk, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My wife and I have several digital cameras between us and I regularly
    compose slide shows on my PC and burn them on to CD or DVD for showing
    on our television(s). Until recently this has worked fine with the 2
    DVD players and TVs that we had. I have recently bought an all
    singing, all dancing Sony DVD recorder (RDR-HXD710) which is fantastic
    BUT it has a horrible habit of not being able to read SOME of the jpeg
    files. So far I have discovered:

    1. it does not recognise ANY files from one camera BUT if I rotate
    them and then rotate them back before burning to CD then they work
    (this can be done in bulk in Windows Explorer);

    2. it does not recognise files from another camera that have been
    rotated from landscape to portrait in the Camedia photo package, even
    after doing 1 above;

    3. if files are reduced in size only nominaly then they are
    recognised.

    The trouble is that 2 and 3 above cannot be done in bulk and it is
    tedious to go through the process file by file.

    Any suggestions for why this happens and how to get around the problem?

    , Nov 14, 2006

  2. Dave Cohen Guest

    wrote:
    > My wife and I have several digital cameras between us and I regularly
    > compose slide shows on my PC and burn them on to CD or DVD for showing
    > on our television(s). Until recently this has worked fine with the 2
    > DVD players and TVs that we had. I have recently bought an all
    > singing, all dancing Sony DVD recorder (RDR-HXD710) which is fantastic
    > BUT it has a horrible habit of not being able to read SOME of the jpeg
    > files. So far I have discovered:
    >
    > 1. it does not recognise ANY files from one camera BUT if I rotate
    > them and then rotate them back before burning to CD then they work
    > (this can be done in bulk in Windows Explorer);
    >
    > 2. it does not recognise files from another camera that have been
    > rotated from landscape to portrait in the Camedia photo package, even
    > after doing 1 above;
    >
    > 3. if files are reduced in size only nominaly then they are
    > recognised.
    >
    > The trouble is that 2 and 3 above cannot be done in bulk and it is
    > tedious to go through the process file by file.
    >
    > Any suggestions for why this happens and how to get around the problem?

    Unless I am misunderstanding case 3, Irfanview should perform that
    function in bulk.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Bucky Guest

    wrote:
    > My wife and I have several digital cameras between us

    Out of curiosity, what are the models of the cameras?

    Like the other poster said, you can do most bulk functions with
    irfanview (rotate, resize, etc.)

    Bucky, Nov 14, 2006
  4. Nickers Guest

    > Unless I am misunderstanding case 3, Irfanview should perform that
    > function in bulk.
    > Dave Cohen

    Thanks Dave. Have just downloaded Irfanview and first signs are good.
    Thanks for the tip.

    Nickers, Nov 15, 2006
  5. Nickers Guest

    > Out of curiosity, what are the models of the cameras?
    >
    > Like the other poster said, you can do most bulk functions with
    > irfanview (rotate, resize, etc.)

    Olympus C300 3.0 megapix - our first digi camera. Very good but now
    showing signs of its age. Camedia software came from here so that is
    also now somewhat dated and is not the most userfriendly.

    Konica Minolta Dimage Z5 5.0 megapix - bought to replace my trusty
    Canon EOS 500N. It is ok. Super 12x optical zoom and antishake but
    rather disappointed with the colour rendition as compared with the
    Olympus.

    Fuji Finepix Z2 5.1 megapix - bought only recently for my wife to
    replace the Olympus. Fantastic little camera, good colour and clarity,
    and with 1Gig memory card is really all we need. Furthermore, the
    pictures from this do not seem to cause any problems on the DVD
    Recorder previously mentioned.

    Nickers, Nov 15, 2006
  6. Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:
    > My wife and I have several digital cameras between us and I regularly
    > compose slide shows on my PC and burn them on to CD or DVD for showing
    > on our television(s). Until recently this has worked fine with the 2
    > DVD players and TVs that we had. I have recently bought an all
    > singing, all dancing Sony DVD recorder (RDR-HXD710) which is fantastic
    > BUT it has a horrible habit of not being able to read SOME of the jpeg
    > files. So far I have discovered:
    >
    > 1. it does not recognise ANY files from one camera BUT if I rotate
    > them and then rotate them back before burning to CD then they work
    > (this can be done in bulk in Windows Explorer);
    >
    > 2. it does not recognise files from another camera that have been
    > rotated from landscape to portrait in the Camedia photo package, even
    > after doing 1 above;
    >
    > 3. if files are reduced in size only nominaly then they are
    > recognised.
    >
    > The trouble is that 2 and 3 above cannot be done in bulk and it is
    > tedious to go through the process file by file.
    >
    > Any suggestions for why this happens and how to get around the problem?

    I've seen some web galleries that create really botched thumbnails if the images
    have certain metadata attached (not EXIF, but something else that escapes my
    memory at the moment). I would guess the player is having a similar issue, not
    being able to read some embedded data and not recognizing the image file because
    of it. Batch processing in Explorer likely strips that metadata, which is why
    the player reads them afterward. It would also explain why resizing works:
    because whatever you're using to do that processing is re-saving the files
    without the "troublesome" embedded data.

    Matt Ion, Nov 15, 2006
  7. Bucky Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > I would guess the player is having a similar issue, not
    > being able to read some embedded data and not recognizing the image file because
    > of it.

    Good point. Along that thought, IrfanView has this feature under JPEG
    lossless transformations where you can strip off EXIF and other
    metadata without affecting image quality. I believe you can apply these
    in batch too. (You need to download the JPEG lossless extension, does
    not come default with Irfanview).

    Bucky, Nov 15, 2006
  8. Tosh Guest

    spoke thusly:
    > My wife and I have several digital cameras between us and I regularly
    > compose slide shows on my PC and burn them on to CD or DVD for showing
    > on our television(s). Until recently this has worked fine with the 2
    > DVD players and TVs that we had. I have recently bought an all
    > singing, all dancing Sony DVD recorder (RDR-HXD710) which is fantastic
    > BUT it has a horrible habit of not being able to read SOME of the jpeg
    > files. So far I have discovered:
    >
    > 1. it does not recognise ANY files from one camera BUT if I rotate
    > them and then rotate them back before burning to CD then they work
    > (this can be done in bulk in Windows Explorer);
    >
    > 2. it does not recognise files from another camera that have been
    > rotated from landscape to portrait in the Camedia photo package, even
    > after doing 1 above;
    >
    > 3. if files are reduced in size only nominaly then they are
    > recognised.
    >
    > The trouble is that 2 and 3 above cannot be done in bulk and it is
    > tedious to go through the process file by file.
    >
    > Any suggestions for why this happens and how to get around the problem?

    Try Jpeg cleaner
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/jpgcleaner.php
    cleans unwanted junk from the files.

    Tosh, Nov 16, 2006
  9. Alan Meyer Guest

    Suggestion:

    The posters who suggested that your older cameras are producing
    older EXIF or other non-image data that your new DVD player can't
    handle sound right to me.

    However you probably _don't_ want to lose the EXIF data if you
    can avoid it. It may be that Windows Explorer or Irfanview will
    write it back in a newer format which is compatible. If so then
    whatever program preserves the data for you is the one you want.

    Also, you want to do as little to the images as you can. You
    especially want to avoid re-compressing the images if you can
    avoid it, since that involves some loss of quality. Find out what
    you can about the programs you're using with regard to this
    issue.

    If Irfanview can preserve the data, you might keep a copy of the
    program and all of its plugins on a CD somewhere just in case
    some future version of the program loses compatibility with the
    old formats.

    Finally, I'd contact the camera manufacturers to find out if they
    are aware of this problem and see if they can give you more
    information about it. They might also have free "firmware"
    updates for the cameras that will help. ("Firmware" is the
    software that programs the cameras internal processor, called
    "firmware" because you can't change it without going through
    very special procedures.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Nov 16, 2006
  10. Nick Guest

    > My wife and I have several digital cameras etc

    Many thanks for all your replies. I had already thought that it might
    be something to do with the metadata as Matt has ably described. I
    alway keep separate copies on CD/DVD of all my original picture files
    so there is no problem in loosing the metadata when I create separate
    slide shows. I will therefore try clearing this in bulk using
    Irfanview or the other program suggested.

    Again, many thanks.

    Nick

    Nick, Nov 17, 2006