    Even a 4 page document with 3 small jpgs ends up being 30 MB.

    can anyone please explain briefly what I must correct?

    many thanks if you can help
    Robin Goodfellow, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Robin Goodfellow wrote:
    > I editor a small newsletter for a local society using ms word (97).
    > I've found that when I include even a modest sized JPG file into the
    > word document it increases the size of the dcoument by 10 times the
    > amount of the jpg file.
    >
    > Even a 4 page document with 3 small jpgs ends up being 30 MB.
    >
    > can anyone please explain briefly what I must correct?

    Word97 seems to uncompress the jpg picture to an internal format,
    perhpas .bmp format.

    A workaround could be to switch to html format,
    and save the word .doc document as .html, thereby decrease the size of the
    document
    That is only possible if your Word97 has internet tools installed.

    Otherwise use a simple html editor to make your newsletter.
    E.g. FrontpageExpress - perhaps you have it already
    on your PC - search for fpexpres.exe or something like that in your Program
    Files folder
    or download it from here:
    http://sssd.k12.ar.us/departments/dts/training/fp.htm
    Use Front Page Express like you would use Microsoft Word

    Regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard
    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Robin Goodfellow

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:43:08 +0000 (UTC), Robin Goodfellow wrote:

    >I editor a small newsletter for a local society using ms word (97).
    >I've found that when I include even a modest sized JPG file into the word
    >document it increases the size of the dcoument by 10 times the amount of the
    >jpg file.

    Small file + graphic = larger file.

    >Even a 4 page document with 3 small jpgs ends up being 30 MB.

    The size of the added files don't matter?

    >can anyone please explain briefly what I must correct?

    It's a well known Word 97 issue, lots of suggestions, what is happening
    and some solutions from www.google.com

    http://www.google.com/search?&q=word 97 embedded jpeg

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Robin Goodfellow

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Robin Goodfellow" <> wrote in message
    > I editor a small newsletter for a local society using ms word (97).
    > I've found that when I include even a modest sized JPG file into the word
    > document it increases the size of the dcoument by 10 times the amount of

    the
    > jpg file.
    >
    > Even a 4 page document with 3 small jpgs ends up being 30 MB.
    >
    > can anyone please explain briefly what I must correct?
    >
    > many thanks if you can help

    depends on the image. it can be edited to reduce the file size.
    but make sure you understand that lowering the resolution will look horrible
    on print.
    as for word, graphic images are imbedded. that means you will get an
    increase in doc size.

    there are other desktop publishing programs that has options to link the
    graphic instead of embedding them.
    but you still need to provide the original graphic images with the
    documents.

    30mb documents is nothing to worry about. i normally work with 300mb to over
    a gig document using quark express
    and pagemaker.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Sep 12, 2004
  5. Robin Goodfellow

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <ci1g8s$s2e$>, Robin Goodfellow
    <> writes
    >I editor a small newsletter for a local society using ms word (97).
    >I've found that when I include even a modest sized JPG file into the word
    >document it increases the size of the dcoument by 10 times the amount of the
    >jpg file.
    >
    >Even a 4 page document with 3 small jpgs ends up being 30 MB.
    >
    >can anyone please explain briefly what I must correct?
    >
    >many thanks if you can help

    I can't claim to be an expert at this, but one of my pet hates is people
    who create un-necessarily large Word documents because of the way that
    they have added images.

    I recently re-worked a 48MB document down to 1.5MB. 20MB of it turned
    out to be one of the pictures which must have started life the size of a
    football pitch, but appeared as appx 1" x 2" on the page. This could be
    reduced to about 50kB with no obvious loss of definition. Something like
    300 dots per inch is generally more than adequate, unless you ever want
    to blow up the image.

    There seem to be lots of ways in which you can add a picture to a
    document. I have come to the conclusion that you should generally use
    the facility provided, ie 'Insert', 'Picture', 'From file'. Never
    display the image (with whatever imaging program you use) and do a
    'Right click', 'Copy', then 'Right click', 'Paste' onto the document
    (then re-sizing as necessary). And NEVER EVER do the same using only the
    file name (or icon) as the source - this creates absolutely massive file
    sizes.

    If you ever add diagrams (from created in Word using 'Draw') or from
    Visio, try using 'Copy' and 'Paste Special' (instead of 'Paste'). This
    gives you several options on which format you can 'Paste As'. Read the
    tips given in 'Result', and use the one which works best for you. It's
    usually 'Picture' or 'Picture (Enhanced Metafile)'.

    It's best to practise these techniques on a blank document, using the
    same image, and set yourself a challenge to achieve the smallest
    document size.

    Cheers,
    Ian.
    Ian Jackson, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Robin Goodfellow

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Ian Jackson
    <> writes
    >In message <ci1g8s$s2e$>, Robin Goodfellow
    ><> writes
    >>I editor a small newsletter for a local society using ms word (97).
    >>I've found that when I include even a modest sized JPG file into the word
    >>document it increases the size of the dcoument by 10 times the amount of the
    >>jpg file.
    >>
    >>Even a 4 page document with 3 small jpgs ends up being 30 MB.
    >>
    >>can anyone please explain briefly what I must correct?
    >>
    >>many thanks if you can help
    >>

    >I can't claim to be an expert at this, but one of my pet hates is
    >people who create un-necessarily large Word documents because of the
    >way that they have added images.
    >
    >I recently re-worked a 48MB document down to 1.5MB. 20MB of it turned
    >out to be one of the pictures which must have started life the size of
    >a football pitch, but appeared as appx 1" x 2" on the page. This could
    >be reduced to about 50kB with no obvious loss of definition. Something
    >like 300 dots per inch is generally more than adequate, unless you ever
    >want to blow up the image.
    >
    >There seem to be lots of ways in which you can add a picture to a
    >document. I have come to the conclusion that you should generally use
    >the facility provided, ie 'Insert', 'Picture', 'From file'. Never
    >display the image (with whatever imaging program you use) and do a
    >'Right click', 'Copy', then 'Right click', 'Paste' onto the document
    >(then re-sizing as necessary). And NEVER EVER do the same using only
    >the file name (or icon) as the source - this creates absolutely massive
    >file sizes.
    >
    >If you ever add diagrams (from created in Word using 'Draw') or from
    >Visio, try using 'Copy' and 'Paste Special' (instead of 'Paste'). This
    >gives you several options on which format you can 'Paste As'. Read the
    >tips given in 'Result', and use the one which works best for you. It's
    >usually 'Picture' or 'Picture (Enhanced Metafile)'.
    >
    >It's best to practise these techniques on a blank document, using the
    >same image, and set yourself a challenge to achieve the smallest
    >document size.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Ian.

    Just as a follow-up, I took one of my photos, and re-sized it to 3" x
    2.25", 300dpi. Jpg size 130kB. I then added it to a blank Word document
    (using 'Insert' - 'Picture' - 'From File'). Picture size still 3" x
    2.25", without having to 'Format Picture'. Document size 150kB. Not bad?
    By the way, pictures trimmed to 6 x 4 at 300dpi, printed by Boots @ 10p
    per copy, produced excellent pix. Every bit as good as my 35mm camera.

    Cheers,
    Ian.
    Ian Jackson, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Robin Goodfellow