    re-open old photos saved in jpeg format to do extra colour/lighting
    work etc and then re-save in jpeg format.

    thanks for any advice

    Sniper, May 12, 2006

  2. Sniper

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Sniper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is it true that everytime you re-save a Jpeg file
    > (for example after editing it) you lose quality?. If so, is this
    > quality loss noticeable to the human eye?. I am asking because I often
    > re-open old photos saved in jpeg format to do extra colour/lighting
    > work etc and then re-save in jpeg format.
    >
    > thanks for any advice

    Yes, that is true. Is it noticeable? Perhaps. Most folks would not notice.
    Save your intermediate results in a non compressed format.
    Keep copies of your originals.

    Rudy Benner, May 12, 2006

  3. Sniper

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 12 May 2006 09:45:46 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Sniper"
    <> wrote:

    > Is it true that everytime you re-save a Jpeg file
    >(for example after editing it) you lose quality?. If so, is this
    >quality loss noticeable to the human eye?. I am asking because I often
    >re-open old photos saved in jpeg format to do extra colour/lighting
    >work etc and then re-save in jpeg format.

    Yes. How much is lost depends upon the amount of compression you have
    chosen and the content of the image it self. If you are going to do
    multiple edits you should use a non-lossy format to save to and only
    convert to jpeg as the final step when you specifically need this
    format. Consider using the native format of you image editing program
    if it has one, otherwise tiff or png will be better than jpeg.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, May 12, 2006