Joy & Woe Installing New C Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by clot, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. clot

    clot Guest

    This evening, just short of 6 hours, I replaced my C Drive which was
    failing. Using Acronis True Image 8.0, I managed to clone the whole
    system across to a brand new drive. Prior to doing this, I had to
    "chkdsk /f" to "repair" 4 bad sectors.

    I switched the new drive into master position without hassle and
    re-installed the original slave drive - again without too much pain. The
    os is XPHome (with SP2) and PC - HP Pavilion 6917. All but one issue so
    far seems O.K.

    On the HP keyboard are two switches for increasing/ decreasing the
    sound. When I used these in the past, there appeared at the bottom of
    the screen a series of green bars indicating the volume setting. Woe is
    me, they have disappeared. I've been onto both HP & MS sites for help
    and failed to find a fix.

    Has anyone else encountered this? And most importantly, if so, how did
    they fix it. I tend to use the PC into the "Wee hours" and try to avoid
    disturbing "She who must be obeyed" - a light sleeper who picks up the
    slightest of sounds - these little green bars were a valued virtue and I
    want them back! XPHome is OEM on the master drive only.

    Just off to do some more Googling.

    Grateful for any help!

    clot, Oct 14, 2005

  2. clot

    Sword Guest

    Uninstall and then reinstall the keyboard driver software.

    Sword, Oct 15, 2005

  3. clot

    Toolman Tim Guest

    clot wrote:
    > This evening, just short of 6 hours, I replaced my C Drive which was
    > failing. Using Acronis True Image 8.0, I managed to clone the whole
    > system across to a brand new drive. Prior to doing this, I had to
    > "chkdsk /f" to "repair" 4 bad sectors.
    >
    > I switched the new drive into master position without hassle and
    > re-installed the original slave drive - again without too much pain.
    > The os is XPHome (with SP2) and PC - HP Pavilion 6917. All but one
    > issue so far seems O.K.
    >
    > On the HP keyboard are two switches for increasing/ decreasing the
    > sound. When I used these in the past, there appeared at the bottom of
    > the screen a series of green bars indicating the volume setting. Woe
    > is me, they have disappeared. I've been onto both HP & MS sites for
    > help and failed to find a fix.
    >
    > Has anyone else encountered this? And most importantly, if so, how did
    > they fix it. I tend to use the PC into the "Wee hours" and try to
    > avoid disturbing "She who must be obeyed" - a light sleeper who picks
    > up the slightest of sounds - these little green bars were a valued
    > virtue and I want them back! XPHome is OEM on the master drive only.
    >
    > Just off to do some more Googling.
    >
    > Grateful for any help!

    Did you get the correct drivers for the keyboard from HP's website? Go here:

    <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=70859&lang=en&cc=us&os=228>

    or maybe

    <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=70859&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-25182-4>

    That should take care of it.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005
  4. clot

    clot Guest

    Many thanks for your help, Sword. I've cracked it!

    clot, Oct 15, 2005
  5. clot

    clot Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > clot wrote:
    >> This evening, just short of 6 hours, I replaced my C Drive which was
    >> failing. Using Acronis True Image 8.0, I managed to clone the whole
    >> system across to a brand new drive. Prior to doing this, I had to
    >> "chkdsk /f" to "repair" 4 bad sectors.
    >>
    >> I switched the new drive into master position without hassle and
    >> re-installed the original slave drive - again without too much pain.
    >> The os is XPHome (with SP2) and PC - HP Pavilion 6917. All but one
    >> issue so far seems O.K.
    >>
    >> On the HP keyboard are two switches for increasing/ decreasing the
    >> sound. When I used these in the past, there appeared at the bottom of
    >> the screen a series of green bars indicating the volume setting. Woe
    >> is me, they have disappeared. I've been onto both HP & MS sites for
    >> help and failed to find a fix.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else encountered this? And most importantly, if so, how
    >> did
    >> they fix it. I tend to use the PC into the "Wee hours" and try to
    >> avoid disturbing "She who must be obeyed" - a light sleeper who picks
    >> up the slightest of sounds - these little green bars were a valued
    >> virtue and I want them back! XPHome is OEM on the master drive only.
    >>
    >> Just off to do some more Googling.
    >>
    >> Grateful for any help!

    > Did you get the correct drivers for the keyboard from HP's website? Go
    > here:
    >
    > <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=70859&lang=en&cc=us&os=228>
    >
    > or maybe
    >
    > <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=70859&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-25182-4>
    >
    > That should take care of it.

    Indeedy! All up and running. Thank you Tim. :),

    clot, Oct 15, 2005
  6. clot

    Toolman Tim Guest

    clot wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> clot wrote:
    >>> This evening, just short of 6 hours, I replaced my C Drive which was
    >>> failing. Using Acronis True Image 8.0, I managed to clone the whole
    >>> system across to a brand new drive. Prior to doing this, I had to
    >>> "chkdsk /f" to "repair" 4 bad sectors.
    >>>
    >>> I switched the new drive into master position without hassle and
    >>> re-installed the original slave drive - again without too much pain.
    >>> The os is XPHome (with SP2) and PC - HP Pavilion 6917. All but one
    >>> issue so far seems O.K.
    >>>
    >>> On the HP keyboard are two switches for increasing/ decreasing the
    >>> sound. When I used these in the past, there appeared at the bottom
    >>> of the screen a series of green bars indicating the volume setting.
    >>> Woe is me, they have disappeared. I've been onto both HP & MS sites
    >>> for help and failed to find a fix.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else encountered this? And most importantly, if so, how
    >>> did
    >>> they fix it. I tend to use the PC into the "Wee hours" and try to
    >>> avoid disturbing "She who must be obeyed" - a light sleeper who
    >>> picks up the slightest of sounds - these little green bars were a
    >>> valued virtue and I want them back! XPHome is OEM on the master
    >>> drive only. Just off to do some more Googling.
    >>>
    >>> Grateful for any help!

    >> Did you get the correct drivers for the keyboard from HP's website?
    >> Go here:
    >>
    >> <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=70859&lang=en&cc=us&os=228>
    >>
    >> or maybe
    >>
    >> <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=70859&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-25182-4>
    >>
    >> That should take care of it.

    > Indeedy! All up and running. Thank you Tim. :),

    You're quite welcome.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005