    Hiawatha Bray
    Tech Reporter
    Boston Globe

    Hiawatha Bray, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Hiawatha Bray

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/12/03 2:24 PM, in article
    , "Hiawatha Bray"
    <> wrote:

    > I'm looking for ordinary, non-technically-trained people to talk with me
    > about how they've learned to use computers, cell phones, digital
    > cameras, and the countless other gadgets to which we're all addicted
    > these days. I want to quote you by name in a story I'm planning.
    > Interested? Please fire me an e-mail and I'll get in touch. Thanks.
    >

    > Hiawatha Bray
    > Tech Reporter
    > Boston Globe

    Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion groups,
    you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    George Kerby, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Hiawatha Bray

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    On 12 Aug 2003 20:17:05 GMT,
    George Kerby () wrote:

    >> I'm looking for ordinary, non-technically-trained people to talk with me
    >> about how they've learned to use computers, cell phones, digital
    >> cameras, and the countless other gadgets to which we're all addicted
    >> these days. I want to quote you by name in a story I'm planning.
    >> Interested? Please fire me an e-mail and I'll get in touch. Thanks.

    > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion groups,
    > you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    I disagree with you -- his crossposting in this case was actually
    appropriate, as it provides him with a better chance of reaching
    the audience he seeks -- non-technically trained people with a
    WIDE range of computer and gadget uses.

    Further, it was done correctly, i.e. with multiple newsgroups all
    specified in a single post. That saves space on the NNTP servers
    his message was propagated to, and once you've marked it as read
    in one group, a good newsreader will mark as read in all the groups
    it was crossposted to.

    And finally, since you apparently can't count, it was four
    newsgroups -- not a "zillion".

    Flame away,
    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev A. Kupf, Aug 12, 2003
  4. George Kerby <> writes:

    > On 8/12/03 2:24 PM, in article
    > , "Hiawatha Bray"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for ordinary, non-technically-trained people to talk with me
    > > about how they've learned to use computers, cell phones, digital
    > > cameras, and the countless other gadgets to which we're all addicted
    > > these days. I want to quote you by name in a story I'm planning.
    > > Interested? Please fire me an e-mail and I'll get in touch. Thanks.
    > >

    > > Hiawatha Bray
    > > Tech Reporter
    > > Boston Globe
    > >

    > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion groups,
    > you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    Well he is an actual reporter at the Boston Globe, with a technology column. I
    read his column every so often.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Aug 12, 2003
  5. Hiawatha Bray

    Guest

    In comp.sys.mac.misc Michael Meissner <> wrote:
    >George Kerby <> writes:

    >> On 8/12/03 2:24 PM, in article
    >> , "Hiawatha Bray"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm looking for ordinary, non-technically-trained people to talk with me
    >> > about how they've learned to use computers, cell phones, digital
    >> > cameras, and the countless other gadgets to which we're all addicted
    >> > these days. I want to quote you by name in a story I'm planning.
    >> > Interested? Please fire me an e-mail and I'll get in touch. Thanks.
    >> >

    >> > Hiawatha Bray
    >> > Tech Reporter
    >> > Boston Globe
    >> >

    >> Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion groups,
    >> you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    >Well he is an actual reporter at the Boston Globe, with a technology column. I
    >read his column every so often.

    Of course, Usenet is probably not a great place to find what he seeks. One of
    the many web based discussion groups probably would be better.

    --
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    , Aug 12, 2003
  6. Hiawatha Bray

    gr Guest

    "Michael Meissner" <> wrote

    > > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion

    groups,
    > > you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    > Well he is an actual reporter at the Boston Globe, with a technology

    column. I
    > read his column every so often.

    The originating IP address he posted from is also from the Globe. While it's
    possible he spoofed it, it's unlikely. He's probably legit.
    gr, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Hiawatha Bray

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/12/03 8:43 PM, in article
    -berlin.de, "Charlie D"
    <> wrote:

    >> George Kerby <> writes:
    >>> Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion
    >>> groups, you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    > Michael Meissner <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well he is an actual reporter at the Boston Globe, with a technology column.
    >> I read his column every so often.

    > Furthermore, it wasn't crossposted to a zillion groups. There are only
    > four and they are completely pertinent to the question.
    >
    > Silly, fake name George is just a troll.
    > Pay him no mind.

    Charlie Dicks is a troll. Pay him little mind since he has little himself.
    He is a liberal cross-posting troll.
    So silly...

    George Kerby, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Hiawatha Bray

    Guest

    In article <BB5EB570.137A9%>,
    George Kerby <> wrote:

    > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion groups,
    > you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    Ya'know, if you wrote "credible" instead of "creditable" when you *mean*
    "credible" your post would be a little less easy to snork at.

    Four groups is not "a zillion". Crossposting is possible for a reason.
    And what exactly was he supposed to "take the time" to do? Post the
    message four separate times?

    I thought it was only the alt.support groups, but apparently people
    everywhere just luuuuuuuuuuv to get their panties in a bunch when an
    "outsider" posts to solicit information. I just don't get it.
    , Aug 13, 2003
  9. Hiawatha Bray

    Bowser Guest

    I read his column in the Boston Globe. He's real.

    I agree about the cross posting, though, but I don't see any alternative. He
    needed to reach a lot of people quickly, so is there an alternative?

    Just asking...

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    > On 8/12/03 2:24 PM, in article
    > , "Hiawatha

    Bray"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for ordinary, non-technically-trained people to talk with me
    > > about how they've learned to use computers, cell phones, digital
    > > cameras, and the countless other gadgets to which we're all addicted
    > > these days. I want to quote you by name in a story I'm planning.
    > > Interested? Please fire me an e-mail and I'll get in touch. Thanks.
    > >

    > > Hiawatha Bray
    > > Tech Reporter
    > > Boston Globe
    > >

    > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion

    groups,
    > you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    http://www.uncensored-news.com

    <><><><><><><><>

    Bowser, Aug 13, 2003
  10. Hiawatha Bray

    Graham Guest

    George Kerby wrote:
    > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a
    > zillion groups, you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    Perhaps Hiawatha feels that by crossposting to four groups (hardly a
    zillion) he will alienate such experts as yourself, ensuring that the
    only responses he gets are from true examples of "ordinary,
    non-technically-trained people".

    BTW, what has credit got to do with this persons credibility?
    Graham, Aug 13, 2003
  11. Hiawatha Bray

    Bob O`Bob Guest

    Graham wrote:

    > "Hiawatha Bray" wrote:
    > > > I'm looking for ordinary, non-technically-trained people to talk
    > > > with me...

    > George Kerby wrote:
    > > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a
    > > zillion groups, you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    > Perhaps Hiawatha feels that by crossposting to four groups (hardly a
    > zillion) he will alienate such experts as yourself, ensuring that the
    > only responses he gets are from true examples of "ordinary,
    > non-technically-trained people".
    >
    > BTW, what has credit got to do with this persons credibility?

    I won't go into the credibility issue, though I could.

    The crosspost issue is crystal-clear though - that was a prime example of a PROPER crosspost,
    done appropriately and for the right kind of reasons.

    "George" is either sadly mistaken, or perhaps already has "issues" with the OP and
    is seeking excuses to gripe. This one was a really poor choice.

    Bob
    Bob O`Bob, Aug 13, 2003
  12. Hiawatha Bray

    Pat Chaney Guest

    Pat Chaney, Aug 13, 2003
  13. Hiawatha Bray

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/13/03 11:57 AM, in article BB602C98.3E3C4%, "Pat Chaney"
    <> wrote:

    > On 13/8/03 4:49 pm, "George Kerby" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Now I'm off to flagellate myself.

    > I'm finding out more about Texans every day!
    >

    > Pat

    Pat I'm beginning to believe that shuttercity.com is a figment of your
    dreams.

    George Kerby, Aug 13, 2003
  14. Hiawatha Bray

    Abrasha Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion groups,
    > you'd be a LOT more creditable.

    A "zillion"? He posted to FOUR groups. All relevant to his proposed article.
    What's your problem with that?

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 14, 2003
  15. Hiawatha Bray

    Abrasha Guest

    wrote:

    > I thought it was only the alt.support groups, but apparently people
    > everywhere just luuuuuuuuuuv to get their panties in a bunch when an
    > "outsider" posts to solicit information. I just don't get it.

    Neither does Kerby.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Aug 14, 2003
  16. Hiawatha Bray

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/14/03 11:43 AM, in article , "Abrasha"
    <> wrote:

    > George Kerby wrote:
    >
    >> Ya'know, if you took the time and not cross-posted this to a zillion groups,
    >> you'd be a LOT more creditable.
    >>

    > A "zillion"? He posted to FOUR groups. All relevant to his proposed article.
    > What's your problem with that?
    >
    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com

    Guess I jumped the gun. After I saw it in the second group that I subscribe,
    I assumed that it was "spamish" in nature. I am now replying to you in those
    two groups.

    George Kerby, Aug 14, 2003
  17. Hiawatha Bray

    Satellite Guest

    George Kerby - YOU talk about credibility?
    You post crap all over...

    Satellite, Aug 14, 2003
  18. Hiawatha Bray

    Enough Guest

    In article <>,
    Mxsmanic <> wrote:

    > George Kerby writes:
    >
    > > Guess I jumped the gun.

    > It's the testosterone.

    Definitely NOT a problem with a ball-less wonder like YOU!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Aug 15, 2003
  19. Hiawatha Bray

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/15/03 1:25 AM, in article ,
    "Mxsmanic" <> wrote:

    > George Kerby writes:
    >
    >> Guess I jumped the gun.

    > It's the testosterone.

    You know if you would just stop replying with multiple snide remarks, you
    would save a lot of bandwidth. (don't quote me on that)

    George Kerby, Aug 15, 2003
  20. Hiawatha Bray

    George Kerby Guest

    On 8/15/03 8:50 AM, in article ,
    "Mxsmanic" <> wrote:

    > Enough writes:
    >
    >> Definitely NOT a problem with a ball-less wonder like YOU!

    > I know. At least I have a few things going in my favor.

    Now I know who you are!
    Ladies and germs, meet "Pat" from Saturday Night Live!!!

    George Kerby, Aug 15, 2003