    of "could not find domain controller".

    any idea what I am doing wrong?

    thanks.

    JohnSmith1, Feb 27, 2008

  2. Does the server point to itself for DNS?

    Does the client point to the server for DNS?

    Can the client ping the server by FQDN?

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 27, 2008

  3. JohnSmith1

    JohnSmith1 Guest

    Actually, My server is installed on a pc as host operating system I
    installed client os on the same machine onto virtual pc software so both
    client and server are on the same pc.
    During my installation of active directory, I created DNS and set the IP
    address of 10.10.10.4 to my DNS.

    My clinet computer ip address set for DNS as above.

    Do you think I am doing something wrong?

    thanks.
    Server point to itself for DNS also client.

    JohnSmith1, Feb 27, 2008
  4. I should be more specific. Fill in the blanks below.

    Server IP Configuration
    Host Name
    IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Default Gateway:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:

    Client IP Configuration
    Host Name:
    IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 27, 2008
  5. JohnSmith1

    JohnSmith1 Guest

    Sure. See below please.

    Thanks

    JohnSmith1, Feb 27, 2008
  6. Well I guess my question, first, would be...Virtual XP pc, what virtual
    client are you using? VMware, MS Virtual PC, etc.? Are the configurations for
    your VM correct from a NIC standpoint?

    Hollywood0728, Feb 28, 2008
  7. JohnSmith1

    JohnSmith1 Guest

    I am using MS Virtual Pc.

    JohnSmith1, Feb 28, 2008
  8. Can Computer01 ping server1 using the FQDN?

    Mostly Gizzards, Feb 28, 2008
  9. Hi,

    I was checking messages and came across this post, because I have ran MS
    virtual PC on many occasions to test for configurations or beta testing
    (just recently server 2008) and I was wondering if I could add my 2 cents.
    It seems to me that your IP assignments and mask are fine. I am assuming
    you do not want to access the internet (reason for no gateway IP I am
    guessing ), which is no big deal. However when you try to join the
    workstation (assuming that is what you are calling your client pc), have you
    tried just entering the domain controller name only. Not sure if windows
    2003 fixed this problem, but with win 2000 server configurations you would
    have to just put the domain controller name as a member only.

    For example:
    On the client (workstation) do the following
    right click on my computer
    click properties
    Click Tab "COMPUTER NAME"
    Click the Change Button
    Click the radio button for Domain
    In text box type in your domain controller name not the FQDN

    instead of putting server1.mydomain.com (FQDN of the domain controller)

    Just put mydomain in the text box.

    I am also assuming that you have converted the server OS to a domain
    controller (dcpromo) as well.

    Windows XP
    Change the computer name and join a domain or a workgroup
    To change a computer name and to join a domain or a workgroup, follow these
    steps.

    Warning Before you change a computer's membership from a domain to a
    workgroup, be sure that you know the user name and the password for an
    account in the local Administrators group. For more information, click the
    following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:
    317049 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317049/) You cannot log on after you
    remove the computer from the domain
    1. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click Change.
    2. Type the new computer name in the Computer name dialog box.
    3. Type the new domain or workgroup in either the Domain dialog box or
    the Workgroup dialog box.
    4. Click More to change the primary Domain Name System (DNS) suffix.
    <---- If you go this way put mydomain.com only

    Note Windows XP Home Edition is not designed to join domains. Windows
    XP Home Edition is only designed to join workgroups. Therefore, use Windows
    XP Professional to join domains.
    5. Click OK three times, and then restart the computer.

    I hope this helps in some way.

    Gary Surprenant, Feb 29, 2008
  10. JohnSmith1

    XeDigital Guest

    I just want you to make sure that both V.PCs are using the same network
    adapter in the VM settings..
    try to make them LOCAL ONLY

    XeDigital, Feb 29, 2008