john kerry photo op ,remove utility pole, photoshop ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by REED BOXIN, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. REED BOXIN

    REED BOXIN Guest

    john kerry will be campaigning in my hometown of scranton p.a. friday .
    i was asked to remove some old phone wires (they still use em for the itialian
    festival every year ,that has no bearing on where im going with this but i just
    thought you should know lol)that run along the courthouse street poles that
    also carry electricty, cable etc .
    the city has had no problem in the past driving the "showmobile " onto this
    area for events as such .

    i am told that they are going to (and did ) take down this pole because it
    will be right in the middle of where mr kerry will be speaking .
    they (don't know if they are kerrys people, local politicians etc?) want a
    nice clean photograph .

    i understand he will be pulling up in the "bus" and walking off greeting people
    ,hand shakeing backpatting , kissing babies etc .
    maybe thats the photo op ?
    i just found it all very interesting that they would remove a pole instead of
    editing it out in photoshop, it would take me a long time to do that ,im a
    beginner but im sure some pro could do that alot faster ?.

    the pole is in good shape ,its an older metal pole that could use some paint,im
    told it will be replced by a fiberglass pole after the event .

    im suppose to get a vip ticket to the event and hope to take along my 10d , if
    so i will take alot of pictures hopefully post em .

    this is a link to the poles if interested .

    http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/remove_pole/

    peace.
    gene

    http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/remove_pole/
    REED BOXIN, Jul 29, 2004

  2. REED BOXIN

    R. Hamm Guest

    Kerry will look best with as much as possible in front of him.
    R. Hamm, Jul 29, 2004

  3. REED BOXIN

    Rick Guest

    "R. Hamm" <> wrote in message news:0UWNc.174425$a24.53481@attbi_s03...
    > Kerry will look best with as much as possible in front of him.

    George W. Bush is the Antichrist.

    Rick
    Rick, Jul 29, 2004
  4. With Bush it doesn't so much matter what is in front....the dirty deals are
    happening behind everybody's backs.

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 29, 2004
  5. REED BOXIN

    Jim Dawson Guest

    I'm sure glad that I have more class than you liberals.

    Jim Dawson, Jul 29, 2004
  6. REED BOXIN

    R. Hamm Guest

    Then vote for a Godless liberal, then you can see gay weddings, high
    interest rates, dumbacrat scandals, and the promotion of anything immoral,
    move to France.

    R. Hamm, Jul 29, 2004
  7. REED BOXIN

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    And so much lower class too. Why you're one of the finest examples of
    trailer park trash on the forum.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jul 29, 2004
  8. REED BOXIN

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I'd rather vote for a Godless liberal than people who obviously take their
    marching orders from Satan - like Bush, who has killed 900 Americans because
    Saddam tried to kill his daddy.
    You right wing born stupids are about the lowest form of trash on the
    usenets. But you fit nicely into the killfile.

    Tony Spadaro, Jul 29, 2004
  9. Bush does not kill people, crazy Iraqis do, enjoy your satanic orders,
    forever, burn baby burn!!!
    Dumbacrats have killed more in wars than us on the good side, you dumb shit.

    Fags burn in hell, Jul 29, 2004
  10. REED BOXIN

    Mark M Guest

    "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message
    > I'd rather vote for a Godless liberal than people who obviously take their
    > marching orders from Satan - like Bush, who has killed 900 Americans

    because
    > Saddam tried to kill his daddy.
    > You right wing born stupids are about the lowest form of trash on the
    > usenets. But you fit nicely into the killfile.

    Tony once again proves why he is KING Kill-filer of all time!
    :)
    Go get 'em!
    Heck, I'm one of those dumb-head Republicans, but I must admit that I do
    enjoy watching Tony do his filter dance. Quite entertaining. Extra points
    for creative use of the devil in this one.
    :)

    To the others... Tony's a good guy.
    He just knows his tolerance limits (as we all should) and exercises them
    with public creativity.
    Mark M, Jul 29, 2004
  11. (REED BOXIN) writes:
    > i am told that they are going to (and did) take down this pole
    > because it will be right in the middle of where mr kerry will be
    > speaking . they (don't know if they are kerrys people, local
    > politicians etc?) want a nice clean photograph .
    >
    > i just found it all very interesting that they would remove a pole
    > instead of editing it out in photoshop, it would take me a long time
    > to do that, im a beginner but im sure some pro could do that alot
    > faster?

    Removing physical objects and other scene changing edits is not
    considered ethical in news photography. Most newspapers and picture
    agencies has strict guidelines on what is and what is not permitted in
    post-processing.

    Here is a pointer to Associated Press' Policy on editing:

    http://www.ap.org/ohio/photo_lies/5/ethics_policy.html

    > http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/remove_pole/

    Nice pole.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jul 29, 2004
  12. REED BOXIN

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    REED BOXIN <> wrote:

    > i just found it all very interesting that they would remove a pole instead of
    > editing it out in photoshop, it would take me a long time to do that ,im a
    > beginner but im sure some pro could do that alot faster ?.

    You don't edit the content of journalistic photos.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Jul 29, 2004
  13. REED BOXIN

    Guest

    Jeremy Nixon <> wrote:

    > You don't edit the content of journalistic photos.

    Photo-journalist apologists are quick to tell us that PhotoSlop is
    forbidden in their hallowed realm -- incredible, but true: people get
    in trouble with essentially the _levels_ control(*) -- but this is
    just a distraction for the credulous. The plain truth is that news
    photos (like news articles) are heavily edited for content, all the
    time. Selection (be it at the photographer's end or the editors end)
    and presentation is by far more important than whether or not someone
    dogdes out a utility pole in an image.

    (*) http://www.zonezero.com/editorial/octubre03/october.html
    , Jul 30, 2004
  14. REED BOXIN

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    <> wrote:

    >> You don't edit the content of journalistic photos.

    > Photo-journalist apologists are quick to tell us that PhotoSlop is
    > forbidden in their hallowed realm -- incredible, but true: people get
    > in trouble with essentially the _levels_ control(*) -- but this is
    > just a distraction for the credulous. The plain truth is that news
    > photos (like news articles) are heavily edited for content, all the
    > time. Selection (be it at the photographer's end or the editors end)
    > and presentation is by far more important than whether or not someone
    > dogdes out a utility pole in an image.
    >
    > (*) http://www.zonezero.com/editorial/octubre03/october.html

    It's definitely not a well-defined line, and people are still getting a
    handle on it. To me, removing an object from a photo and making it appear
    as if the object were not there is well over the line.

    In the pictures on the page you cite, I have no problem with the "alterations"
    done to the second or third images; I can't see anything beyond color and
    tonal corrections that are not in any way misleading, and are adjustments I
    make to almost every photo I take -- and, with digital, who is to say at what
    point in the process the colors are "correct"? After all, different choices
    of film could just as easily produce the differences in those pictures. My
    RAW files rarely look "correct", and in fact could be misleading if published
    as-is, because they may be intentionally "wrong" in order to capture visual
    information I intend to correct later.

    The first one I think is in the gray area; legitimate arguments could be made
    on both sides of that, especially since the same thing could have been done in
    a darkroom by any first-year photo student. Had the background merely been
    darkened in order to divert attention away from it I would probably put it in
    the first category, though I probably wouldn't do it if shooting journalism.

    Removing a utility pole and filling in the background? That's way beyond
    these examples, in my opinion. Sure, the photographer is "editing" what he
    shows, starting with his choice of what to show -- but, in the end, a photo
    (in a journalistic sense) is meant to represent what was actually in the
    frame, and if we start editing content, even in ways we see as harmless,
    the credibility of photography is damaged.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Jul 30, 2004
  15. REED BOXIN