    Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    one need a special camera?

    Thanks

    Jack, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Jack

    AArDvarK Guest

    No, just a macro or close focusing zoom
    (pseudo macro?) lens will do ...
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex
    ------------------------------
    e-mail address not given,
    reply here.
    ------------------------------

    AArDvarK, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Jack

    George Kerby Guest

    On 1/23/04 6:16 AM, in article bur3bf$9ad$, "Jack"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi
    > I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    > bracelets for a brochure.
    >
    > I have all the lights etc.
    >
    > Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    > one need a special camera?
    >
    > Thanks

    Let us know how it comes out. Should be interesting.
    BTW: "J-e-w-e-l-r-y" is how it's spelled.
    LOL!

    George Kerby, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Jack

    Terry D Guest

    George Kerby wrote:
    > On 1/23/04 6:16 AM, in article bur3bf$9ad$,
    > "Jack" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings
    >> and
    >> bracelets for a brochure.
    >>
    >> I have all the lights etc.
    >>
    >> Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital)
    >> or does
    >> one need a special camera?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Let us know how it comes out. Should be interesting.
    > BTW: "J-e-w-e-l-r-y" is how it's spelled.
    > LOL!

    'Jewellery' in the UK, 'Jewelry' in the US.

    Terry D.

    Terry D, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Jack

    George Kerby Guest

    On 1/23/04 9:46 AM, in article
    hlbQb.9278$, "Terry D"
    <> wrote:

    > George Kerby wrote:
    >> On 1/23/04 6:16 AM, in article bur3bf$9ad$,
    >> "Jack" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings
    >>> and
    >>> bracelets for a brochure.
    >>>
    >>> I have all the lights etc.
    >>>
    >>> Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital)
    >>> or does
    >>> one need a special camera?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Let us know how it comes out. Should be interesting.
    >> BTW: "J-e-w-e-l-r-y" is how it's spelled.
    >> LOL!
    >>

    > 'Jewellery' in the UK, 'Jewelry' in the US.
    >
    > Terry D.

    Like "colour", eh?
    OK, I'll buy that.

    George Kerby, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Jack

    Crownfield Guest

    Jack wrote:

    > Hi
    > I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    > bracelets for a brochure.
    >
    > I have all the lights etc.
    >
    > Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    > one need a special camera?

    Will your lens do 1:1 shots?
    Will the lens appear in the reflections?
    What type of lighting do you plan?
    Are you happy doing precise color balancing and sharpening?

    Are the jewelry pieces primarily specular surfaces,
    or something else?
    Are there two basic sizes- earing and bracelet?

    If you are not sure if the D100 can do it,
    how do you know whether the lights etc will work properly?

    Advertising is the hardest expense for a small business.
    It seems to cost so very much,
    and yet the returns can pay so much more if the advertising is good.

    I would suggest that you think about one thing.

    how many more pieces of jewelry do you have to sell
    to pay for a really good job
    of photographing your jewelry really well?

    If really good photography sold even one more of each piece,
    would it be worthwhile?

    It could be the difference
    between your jewelry looking dull and lifeless,
    and looking really special.

    If you do not think you can do it really right,
    find out what it would cost by a professional.
    you might even find a photo class in a school
    which could make you a great deal.

    it is worth noting that photographing shiny objects like jewelry
    takes a lot of care and technique, and for it to print it well,
    may not be something that you should do
    until you have had the chance to practice.

    It is less the camera than the lighting.

    I did some Heuer Watches, and sent the negs to a good lab.
    I got the prints back-beautiful silver watch, on a pretty blue
    background.
    If you had not seem the original gold watch on a green background,
    you would have never suspected a problem.

    Crownfield, Jan 23, 2004
  7. "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    > bracelets for a brochure.
    >
    > I have all the lights etc.
    >
    > Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or

    does
    > one need a special camera?
    >
    > Thanks

    You can also try doing it with a scanner.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Jack

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    What you need is speciial knowledge. The camera will do jes'fine, but
    setting up the lights to get good results will be a problem. There is a book
    titles "Lighting Secrets for the Professional Photographer (Kodak
    publication I believe) with a multipage article on lighting a pen nib. That
    areticle will show you a lot about lighting jewelry. You might look for
    other lighting books that cover jewelry more specifically.
    Jewelry is complicated in that it is highly reflective, including
    reflecting the lights and camera and has a lot of bright highlights. A
    digital camera is the best way to experiment as you can test each set-up and
    immediately try it out on your computer screen.
    Once you are past the basics digital and film photography are pretty much
    the same thing, so take a look at this list of other books you might find
    useful:
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbooks.html
    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Jack

    Pixmaker Guest

    On 23 Jan 2004 15:36:44 GMT, George Kerby <> wrote:

    >On 1/23/04 6:16 AM, in article bur3bf$9ad$, "Jack"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    >> bracelets for a brochure.
    >>
    >> I have all the lights etc.
    >>
    >> Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    >> one need a special camera?

    SNIP

    Yes, the D-100 is a fine camera for that purpose. You must, of course, have either a macro lens or close-up lenses or a
    bellows extender to obtain reasonably-good sized images.

    Close-up photography is a bit of a specialty, especially when you're photographing shiny stuff like jewelry. You would
    be well advised to construct a small "tent" of white cloth (like parachute cloth or "ripstop" nylon) to avoid really bad
    reflections from the shiny surfaces.

    Be sure to use the histogram feature available on the camera to avoid "blowing out" the highlights. With care (and a
    li'l practice,) you can produce stunning results.

    Good luck!

    -- DaveinFLL
    ===========================
    "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."
    ===========================
    (Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!)

    Pixmaker, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Jack

    George Kerby Guest

    On 1/23/04 12:18 PM, in article
    OzdQb.1013$, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    > What you need is speciial knowledge. The camera will do jes'fine, but
    > setting up the lights to get good results will be a problem. There is a book
    > titles "Lighting Secrets for the Professional Photographer (Kodak
    > publication I believe) with a multipage article on lighting a pen nib. That
    > areticle will show you a lot about lighting jewelry. You might look for
    > other lighting books that cover jewelry more specifically.
    > Jewelry is complicated in that it is highly reflective, including
    > reflecting the lights and camera and has a lot of bright highlights. A
    > digital camera is the best way to experiment as you can test each set-up and
    > immediately try it out on your computer screen.
    > Once you are past the basics digital and film photography are pretty much
    > the same thing, so take a look at this list of other books you might find
    > useful:
    > http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbooks.html

    Amazing what passes for fine jewelry photography these days! Largely due to
    accepted incompetence and lack of craftsmanship. The concept of getting it
    right the first time vs. hiring a "hack" who can repeat and repeat until
    getting something acceptable has been introduced with the birth of digital
    photography. There is no waste of materials and the absence of "down-time"
    (film processing) allows for such dilly-dally approach to what was once a
    studied Craft. My .02

    George Kerby, Jan 23, 2004
  11. Jack

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    That is pretty much nonsense. In fact I've seen cheap jewelry in cheap
    catalogs looking awfully good of late - probably because they could test the
    lights and get immediate feedback (unlike Polaroid, which never gave more
    than an approximation as the film was so different from that used for the
    actual shoot) and keep adjusting until they had it right.

    --
    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    > On 1/23/04 12:18 PM, in article
    > OzdQb.1013$, "Tony Spadaro"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > What you need is speciial knowledge. The camera will do jes'fine, but
    > > setting up the lights to get good results will be a problem. There is a

    book
    > > titles "Lighting Secrets for the Professional Photographer (Kodak
    > > publication I believe) with a multipage article on lighting a pen nib.

    That
    > > areticle will show you a lot about lighting jewelry. You might look for
    > > other lighting books that cover jewelry more specifically.
    > > Jewelry is complicated in that it is highly reflective, including
    > > reflecting the lights and camera and has a lot of bright highlights. A
    > > digital camera is the best way to experiment as you can test each set-up

    and
    > > immediately try it out on your computer screen.
    > > Once you are past the basics digital and film photography are pretty

    much
    > > the same thing, so take a look at this list of other books you might

    find
    > > useful:
    > > http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbooks.html

    > Amazing what passes for fine jewelry photography these days! Largely due

    > accepted incompetence and lack of craftsmanship. The concept of getting it
    > right the first time vs. hiring a "hack" who can repeat and repeat until
    > getting something acceptable has been introduced with the birth of digital
    > photography. There is no waste of materials and the absence of "down-time"
    > (film processing) allows for such dilly-dally approach to what was once a
    > studied Craft. My .02

    http://www.uncensored-news.com

    <><><><><><><><>

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 24, 2004
  12. Jack

    KBob Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:02:17 -0800, Pixmaker <>
    wrote:

    >On 23 Jan 2004 15:36:44 GMT, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 1/23/04 6:16 AM, in article bur3bf$9ad$, "Jack"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    >>> bracelets for a brochure.
    >>>
    >>> I have all the lights etc.
    >>>
    >>> Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    >>> one need a special camera?

    >SNIP
    >
    >Yes, the D-100 is a fine camera for that purpose. You must, of course, have either a macro lens or close-up lenses or a
    >bellows extender to obtain reasonably-good sized images.
    >
    >Close-up photography is a bit of a specialty, especially when you're photographing shiny stuff like jewelry. You would
    >be well advised to construct a small "tent" of white cloth (like parachute cloth or "ripstop" nylon) to avoid really bad
    >reflections from the shiny surfaces.
    >
    >Be sure to use the histogram feature available on the camera to avoid "blowing out" the highlights. With care (and a
    >li'l practice,) you can produce stunning results.
    >
    >Good luck!

    Good advice. Also (if possible) shoot in RAW mode so that you have
    that extra couple stops of headroom available to work with the
    highlights. For small items these translucent tents can be be made of
    many different materials, it may even be possible to use a poly gallon
    milk bottle if your items are small enough. You can make the curved
    floor out of a piece of thin illustration board. Get good ideas for
    tents by looking at the ones offered on eBay in the photo light
    section. The book "Light, Science and Magic" covers topics related to
    small-item tabletop photography, it's a good reference to have.

    KBob, Jan 24, 2004
  13. Jack

    KBob Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:07:12 -0800, Crownfield <>
    wrote:

    >Jack wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi
    >> I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    >> bracelets for a brochure.
    >>
    >> I have all the lights etc.
    >>
    >> Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    >> one need a special camera?

    For a camera, the D100 will do an excellent job; however, you should
    consider the lens requirement for achieving 1:1 closeups. To start
    with, you may want to purchase a 60mm AF Micro Nikkor. This should be
    OK for jewelry, but if you need greater lens-subject distance (as for
    bugs), the best choice is a 200mm AF Micro Nikkor.

    KBob, Jan 24, 2004
  14. Jack

    A Little Bit Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:16:47 +0000 (UTC), "Jack" <> wrote:

    > Hi
    > I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    > bracelets for a brochure.
    >
    > I have all the lights etc.
    >
    > Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    > one need a special camera?

    Forget the camera, a flatbed scanner will give better results.

    A Little Bit, Jan 24, 2004
  15. Jack

    George Kerby Guest

    On 1/23/04 6:30 PM, in article
    01jQb.1497$, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    > That is pretty much nonsense. In fact I've seen cheap jewelry in cheap
    > catalogs looking awfully good of late - probably because they could test the
    > lights and get immediate feedback (unlike Polaroid, which never gave more
    > than an approximation as the film was so different from that used for the
    > actual shoot) and keep adjusting until they had it right.

    I will will bet you that what you have seen was NOT done with a D-100 with
    "all the lights etc." and with a LOT more experience than the original
    poster here. I was referring to print houses that hire hacks, not true
    professional photographers who don't necessarily need to do a LOT of
    extensive testing, due to their experience. Concerning Polaroids, I shoot
    B/W and not that crappy "color" crap they box. B/W gives a better idea of
    lighting ratios.

    George Kerby, Jan 24, 2004
  16. Jack

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    And no idea of colour. Read any interview with pros who've gone digital,
    catalog shooters, fashion shooters, etc, and you will find that they now
    know exactly when to shop shooting instead of pissing off dozens of extra
    rolls for safety.

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 24, 2004
  17. Jack

    George Kerby Guest

    On 1/24/04 12:16 PM, in article
    MDyQb.5684$, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    > And no idea of colour. Read any interview with pros who've gone digital,
    > catalog shooters, fashion shooters, etc, and you will find that they now
    > know exactly when to shop shooting instead of pissing off dozens of extra
    > rolls for safety.

    I've never done any interviews, but I'd say I know a little about digital
    jewelry photography:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/73223636EvargL

    George Kerby, Jan 24, 2004
  18. Jack

    Tom Monego Guest

    Flatbed scanners do very quick but poor jewelry shots. The reason there are so
    many hack shots of jewelry (Tony is right there are good ones too) is that most
    jewelry manufaturers don't want to spend the money for a good photographer. We
    are in the capitol of costume jewelry (southern New England) and have very few
    jewelry customers. Even when you break you day rate (ours is fairly modest at
    $900) to hours they don't want to hear it. A friend bit and gave them $25 per
    piece, they wanted the equivalent of 8x10 work. He finally went bankrupt trying
    to be the low priced guy.
    One thing about digital and jewelry, if your client wants jewelry "cards" shot
    (10-20 small pieces on a single card) don't try to shoot the whole thing at
    once in digital, a 6mp chip just doesn't have the expected res. Our clients are
    happiest when we shoot the card in halves or quarters, looks much better.
    The lens to use 105mm macro Nikor 1:1 extension tubes, diffuser expensive
    Balcar Igloo, cheap Rosco ripstop diffusion cloth.

    good luck
    Tom

    In article <>,
    says...

    Tom Monego, Jan 24, 2004
  19. "Jack" <> writes:

    > Hi
    > I need to take a 100 simple flat One to One shots of gold earrings and
    > bracelets for a brochure.
    >
    > I have all the lights etc.
    >
    > Can one do this with a 35mm camera (in my case a Nikon D100 digital) or does
    > one need a special camera?

    A d100 is perfectly fine. You'll probably need a macro lens or
    extension tubes, too. And you probably want a light puff, light tent,
    one of those things that completely surrounds the object with light.
    Because gold jewelry tends to be reflective and curved, so it will
    show what's around it, and to look "right" what's around it needs to
    be "light source".
    RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 24, 2004
  20. Jack

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Not enough to use a sweep table apparently.

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 24, 2004