    A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
    What's the whole story ?

    Thank you.
    John Doe, Nov 18, 2003

  2. John Doe wrote:
    > Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
    > For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
    > connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
    > jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
    > properly set up for ADSL.
    > I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
    > to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
    > A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
    > What's the whole story ?

    Jetstreamgames is a free, full-rate realm you can connect to, which hosts
    game servers and game downloads. You are not charged for the bandwidth and
    it goes as fast as your modem can.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 18, 2003

  3. John Doe

    KS Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
    > For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
    > connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
    > jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
    > properly set up for ADSL.
    > I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
    > to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
    > A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
    > What's the whole story ?

    Jetstream games is a unique odd separate connection for Jetstart, etc users.

    You can connect directly to JS games, but can't do anything that you would
    normally do via your ISP - web browse, email, etc. You can only see/talk to
    other servers connected to 'the realm' as it's sometimes known. Any traffic
    used does NOT count towards your monthly data use, and even if you have the
    Jetstart package, who'll have full speed dsl via this connection. Which is
    handy for games.

    You'll need to create a new dial in connection, with :

    user name:
    password: leave blank
    dial in # : leave blank

    ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for download.
    Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat 0.4J runs to 573MB
    ! But it downloads lightning fast.

    There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
    http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and there's
    also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.
    KS, Nov 18, 2003
  4. John Doe

    Mark Guest

    Yep, also, ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz has lots of game demos etc that are
    available for download at full jetstream rates. I downloaded over 300 meg in
    about 8 minutes :)

    Cheers
    Mark
    Mark, Nov 18, 2003
  5. John Doe

    JedMeister Guest

    Telecom do a poor job of advertising the ftp sites to jetstream users. There
    is a better FTP site with newer files, located at...

    ftp://203.96.92.93/pub/

    There have been recent problems with this FTP2 Server, and this one exists
    because the last one crapped out. For the latest news, check...

    http://forums.jetstreamgames.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36974&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

    If you are signed in as (replace user with your
    user id), all downloads are free. And speed is awesome, i have been
    downloading between 300 and 400kb per second. Better than a phone line which
    is about 5 kb per second.

    JedMeister, Nov 18, 2003
  6. John Doe

    David Guest

    "KS" <> wrote in message
    > John Doe wrote:
    > > Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
    > > For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
    > > connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
    > > jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
    > > properly set up for ADSL.
    > > I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
    > > to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
    > > A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
    > > What's the whole story ?

    > Jetstream games is a unique odd separate connection for Jetstart, etc

    users.

    > You can connect directly to JS games, but can't do anything that you would
    > normally do via your ISP - web browse, email, etc. You can only see/talk

    > other servers connected to 'the realm' as it's sometimes known. Any

    traffic
    > used does NOT count towards your monthly data use, and even if you have

    the
    > Jetstart package, who'll have full speed dsl via this connection. Which is
    > handy for games.
    >
    > You'll need to create a new dial in connection, with :
    >
    > user name:
    > password: leave blank
    > dial in # : leave blank
    >
    > ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for download.
    > Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat 0.4J runs to

    573MB
    > ! But it downloads lightning fast.
    >
    > There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
    > http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and there's
    > also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.

    IIRC if you are using a Nokia M1122 modem there is no need to log on as
    such, it does it automatically?
    David, Nov 18, 2003
  7. John Doe

    SteveM Guest

    "David" <> wrote in

    >> user name:
    >> password: leave blank
    >> dial in # : leave blank
    >>
    >> ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for
    >> download. Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat
    >> 0.4J runs to

    > 573MB
    >> ! But it downloads lightning fast.
    >>
    >> There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
    >> http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and
    >> there's also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.
    >>

    > IIRC if you are using a Nokia M1122 modem there is no need to log on
    > as such, it does it automatically?

    No, you must change the PPP username and password through the M1122 web
    interface and click "apply". Change back to your normal username and
    password to resume normal service.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Nov 18, 2003
  8. John Doe

    KS Guest

    > IIRC if you are using a Nokia M1122 modem there is no need to log on
    > as such, it does it automatically?

    I've no idea, sorry. I use an internal dsl modem. But I would still expect
    that whatever modem you use, you'll still need to create the unique log on.
    The initial 'connection' the modem will do when powered on only gets you to
    the exchange.
    KS, Nov 18, 2003
  9. John Doe

    Allistar Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:
    >> Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
    >> For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
    >> connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
    >> jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
    >> properly set up for ADSL.
    >> I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
    >> to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
    >> A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
    >> What's the whole story ?

    > Jetstreamgames is a free, full-rate realm you can connect to, which hosts
    > game servers and game downloads. You are not charged for the bandwidth and
    > it goes as fast as your modem can.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Is anyone aware of any games hosted on jetstreamgames that will run on
    Linux? (I don't have a Windows box at home and would like to use this
    service).

    Thanks,
    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 19, 2003
  10. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "KS" <> wrote in message news:<bpcl7u$1ko$>...
    > John Doe wrote:
    > > Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
    > > For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
    > > connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
    > > jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
    > > properly set up for ADSL.
    > > I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
    > > to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
    > > A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
    > > What's the whole story ?

    > Jetstream games is a unique odd separate connection for Jetstart, etc users.
    >
    > You can connect directly to JS games, but can't do anything that you would
    > normally do via your ISP - web browse, email, etc. You can only see/talk to
    > other servers connected to 'the realm' as it's sometimes known. Any traffic
    > used does NOT count towards your monthly data use, and even if you have the
    > Jetstart package, who'll have full speed dsl via this connection. Which is
    > handy for games.
    >
    > You'll need to create a new dial in connection, with :
    >
    > user name:
    > password: leave blank
    > dial in # : leave blank
    >
    > ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for download.
    > Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat 0.4J runs to 573MB
    > ! But it downloads lightning fast.
    >
    > There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
    > http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and there's
    > also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.

    Thank you all for the info.
    So it really looks like a distinct domestic IP network in the end.
    Does somebody make any non-gaming use of it ? Is it possible to
    exchange files from one peer to another or simply host a server on
    this network ?

    And considered the transfer rate is very high, the system could also
    serve as a basis for a pretty cool domestic-only video conferencing
    system. Don't you think so ?
    John Doe, Nov 19, 2003
  11. In article <>,
    (John Doe) wrote:

    >So it really looks like a distinct domestic IP network in the end.
    >Does somebody make any non-gaming use of it ? Is it possible to
    >exchange files from one peer to another or simply host a server on
    >this network ?

    Interesting question. Anybody want to try? If two or more people were to
    log onto Jetstreamgames at the same time and phone each other or
    something to exchange IP addresses, it would be easy enough to determine
    if our machines could see each other.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Nov 21, 2003
  12. John Doe

    Brendan Guest

    On 19 Nov 2003 13:13:35 -0800, (John Doe)
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to
    >exchange files from one peer to another or simply host a server on
    >this network ?

    Something I've wondered about as well.

    --

    ....Brendan

    Stupidity crosses all ideological borders

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.
    Brendan, Nov 21, 2003
  13. John Doe

    Tim Guest

    Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com)> wrote in

    > On 19 Nov 2003 13:13:35 -0800, (John Doe)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to
    >>exchange files from one peer to another or simply host a server on
    >>this network ?

    > Something I've wondered about as well.

    I've been told by others that have tried that it only works if you are both
    on the same exchange, and even then it is a bit iffy.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Tim, Nov 21, 2003
  14. John Doe

    Brendan Guest

    On 21 Nov 2003 21:35:24 +1300, Tim <>
    wrote:

    >I've been told by others that have tried that it only works if you are both
    >on the same exchange, and even then it is a bit iffy.

    Interesting.

    Anyone in the oamaru area wants to try it, email me.

    Brendan, Nov 22, 2003