Jetstreamgames being discontinued????

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve Robertson, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

    Steve Robertson, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Steve Robertson

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    news:41171e06$...
    > Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

    Yeah, there was a Herald article about that recently.

    Teresa G. has decreed that since she is an ignorant moron without a life -
    it's only fair that her customers don't get to experience pleasure either.
    And, all that BW usage comes out of her multi-million dollar bonus.

    Alas, if only the GOVT unbundled the loop - we might have a viable
    alternative! Oh, wait, Telescum is a major donor to the major political
    parties (yes, both Labour & National) - ah, so that's why the loop remains
    tightly entrenched up Teresa's rear end.

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

    > Yeah, there was a Herald article about that recently.
    > Teresa G. has decreed that since she is an ignorant moron without a life -
    > it's only fair that her customers don't get to experience pleasure either.
    > And, all that BW usage comes out of her multi-million dollar bonus.

    errrr, that and that it will not be possible to do under the bitstream
    access.

    If you have a read of the DSL mailing list archives it explains why it
    is no longer going to be possible.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Steve Robertson

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > >>Is Jetstreamgames going to be shut down??

    > > Yeah, there was a Herald article about that recently.
    > > Teresa G. has decreed that since she is an ignorant moron without a

    life -
    > > it's only fair that her customers don't get to experience pleasure

    either.
    > > And, all that BW usage comes out of her multi-million dollar bonus.

    > errrr, that and that it will not be possible to do under the bitstream
    > access.
    >
    > If you have a read of the DSL mailing list archives it explains why it
    > is no longer going to be possible.

    Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't see
    your point. I was, of course, taking the piss out of Herr Gatting :)

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Steve Robertson

    steve Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't
    > see your point. I was, of course, taking the piss out of Herr Gatting :)
    >
    > RJ out.

    The way ADSL is currently delivered is going to change.

    The new mode / type will be "bitstream" instead of hwat we have now....

    The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
    ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
    ISP's label on your forehead.

    So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
    modem to access the Jestream games realm.

    Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
    ISP you signed up with.

    I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

    steve, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Steve Robertson

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:39:32 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >

    >> Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't
    >> see your point. I was, of course, taking the piss out of Herr Gatting :)
    >>
    >> RJ out.

    >The way ADSL is currently delivered is going to change.
    >
    >The new mode / type will be "bitstream" instead of hwat we have now....
    >
    >The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
    >ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
    >ISP's label on your forehead.
    >
    >So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
    >modem to access the Jestream games realm.
    >
    >Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
    >ISP you signed up with.
    >
    >I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

    So you're saying the other ISP's are going to have to install their
    own very high speed data circuit into every Telecom ADSL exchange?

    Craig Shore, Aug 9, 2004
  7. steve wrote:
    > So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
    > modem to access the Jestream games realm.
    > Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
    > ISP you signed up with.
    > I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

    thats pretty much it... without going into it too deeply, it appears
    that it may be technically feasable, but not without hassle...(not the
    number of maybe/possibly/if in there) this is just from what I have
    read, mostly on the DSL mailing list, but googled some of it too.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004
  8. Craig Shore wrote:
    > So you're saying the other ISP's are going to have to install their
    > own very high speed data circuit into every Telecom ADSL exchange?

    not really, have a read of the telecom papers on it.
    The links are there in the DSL mailing list that gets advertised here
    from time to time(poster is Dan Langlille or similar)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 9, 2004
  9. Steve Robertson

    JohnO Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >

    > > Ummm, maybe I'm having a brain-fade (highly possible, lol), but I don't
    > > see your point. I was, of course, taking the piss out of Herr Gatting :)
    > >
    > > RJ out.

    > The way ADSL is currently delivered is going to change.
    >
    > The new mode / type will be "bitstream" instead of hwat we have now....
    >
    > The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
    > ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
    > ISP's label on your forehead.
    >
    > So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
    > modem to access the Jestream games realm.
    >
    > Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
    > ISP you signed up with.
    >
    > I think I have that about right as far as the key issues go.

    .... In which case telecom could continue to make jetstreamgames free to xtra
    customers if they felt like it?

    JohnO, Aug 10, 2004
  10. JohnO wrote:
    >>The key difference is that bitstream will see you hard-wired to whichever
    >>ISP you sign up for.....instead of everyone being Telecom with another
    >>ISP's label on your forehead.
    >>So you will no longer be able to change the login on your ADSL router or
    >>modem to access the Jestream games realm.
    >>Doing so won't work....as your connection will be a "dedicated" one to the
    >>ISP you signed up with.

    > ... In which case telecom could continue to make jetstreamgames free to xtra
    > customers if they felt like it?

    any isp will in theory be able to make their own JS-games realm... well,
    technically at least.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 10, 2004