    minimum targets? Would I get the other advantages such as ready access to phone
    and being able to access freely?

    Nina

    Nina, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Nina

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Nina of Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:38 :
    > Is it worth taking Jetstream even though my phone doesn't yet reach
    > desired minimum targets? Would I get the other advantages such as ready
    > access to phone and being able to access freely?

    What do you mean by "my phone doesn't yet reach desired minimum targets"?

    My house is nearly 3km from the nearest telephone exchange, which Telecom
    says is too far for Jetstream. Certainly, it is marginal, but can achieve
    Jetstream starter speeds.
    I find this is good as it frees up the phone line while allowing full time
    net connection. For larger downloads, just leave them going overnight.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Nina wrote:

    > Is it worth taking Jetstream even though my phone doesn't yet reach desired
    > minimum targets? Would I get the other advantages such as ready access to phone
    > and being able to access freely?

    There targets are very conservitive to alow for people buying crap hardware.

    get a good router and you will be sweet. My line here was something that they
    were really reluctant to install on, but an M1122 and a speedtouch pro work on
    it. Things like the alcatel stingray I initially bought were hopeless however.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Nina

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:34:06 +1300, Peter <> wrote:

    >this quote is from Nina of Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:38 :
    >> Is it worth taking Jetstream even though my phone doesn't yet reach
    >> desired minimum targets? Would I get the other advantages such as ready
    >> access to phone and being able to access freely?

    >What do you mean by "my phone doesn't yet reach desired minimum targets"?
    >
    >My house is nearly 3km from the nearest telephone exchange, which Telecom
    >says is too far for Jetstream. Certainly, it is marginal, but can achieve
    >Jetstream starter speeds.
    >I find this is good as it frees up the phone line while allowing full time
    >net connection. For larger downloads, just leave them going overnight.
    >

    >Peter

    And get constant drop offs, no not worth it, Xtra/Telcom has a Test number
    to ring, as I have tried it to some one elses line and it came back that it
    was OK for 128 only..

    Nick Smith, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Nina

    Nina Guest

    Re: Re: Jetstream

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:34:06 +1300, Peter <> wrote:

    >this quote is from Nina of Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:38 :
    >> Is it worth taking Jetstream even though my phone doesn't yet reach
    >> desired minimum targets? Would I get the other advantages such as ready
    >> access to phone and being able to access freely?

    >What do you mean by "my phone doesn't yet reach desired minimum targets"?
    >
    >My house is nearly 3km from the nearest telephone exchange, which Telecom
    >says is too far for Jetstream. Certainly, it is marginal, but can achieve
    >Jetstream starter speeds.
    >I find this is good as it frees up the phone line while allowing full time
    >net connection. For larger downloads, just leave them going overnight.
    >

    >Peter

    The targets are available from Xtra's home page. Yes I think you are right about
    using jetstream without having maximum targets.

    Nina

    Nina, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Nina

    Nina Guest

    Re: Re: Jetstream

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:15:49 +1300, Nick Smith
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:34:06 +1300, Peter <> wrote:
    >
    >>this quote is from Nina of Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:38 :
    >>> Is it worth taking Jetstream even though my phone doesn't yet reach
    >>> desired minimum targets? Would I get the other advantages such as ready
    >>> access to phone and being able to access freely?

    >>What do you mean by "my phone doesn't yet reach desired minimum targets"?
    >>
    >>My house is nearly 3km from the nearest telephone exchange, which Telecom
    >>says is too far for Jetstream. Certainly, it is marginal, but can achieve
    >>Jetstream starter speeds.
    >>I find this is good as it frees up the phone line while allowing full time
    >>net connection. For larger downloads, just leave them going overnight.
    >>

    >>Peter

    Silly me

    Nina

    Nina, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Nina

    Nina Guest

    Re: Re: Jetstream

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:41:43 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith <>
    wrote:

    >Nina wrote:
    >
    >> Is it worth taking Jetstream even though my phone doesn't yet reach desired
    >> minimum targets? Would I get the other advantages such as ready access to phone
    >> and being able to access freely?

    >There targets are very conservitive to alow for people buying crap hardware.
    >
    >get a good router and you will be sweet. My line here was something that they
    >were really reluctant to install on, but an M1122 and a speedtouch pro work on
    >it. Things like the alcatel stingray I initially bought were hopeless however.

    I take it that M1122 is the modem? The Belarc check of my system has me with XP
    and k56 modem. I need to give this problem more thought.

    nof

    Nina, Oct 28, 2003