jetstream users downloading linux iso's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, May 11, 2004.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    Just in case you didn't know:

    http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/

    You can set your adsl modem to log on as user and
    password telecom

    This points your adsl connection into the jetstreamgames context. The
    benefit of this is that a) your jetstream connection runs at high speed (I
    didn't get 8Mbit/sec but did get around 1Mbit/sec on my 256 Surf
    connection!) and b) ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ has a bunch of linux distros
    complete with iso's to download and best of all c) Downloading does not seem
    to count towards your cap! *

    Note: you cannot access anywhere outside of the jetstreamgames.co.nz when
    connected through this context.

    So, if you need to download linux iso's this is bloody good!

    Also, they have scads of game demos and game servers running there too.

    Hope that helps,
    JohnO

    * You better double check this yourself before risking exceeding your cap. I
    cannot guarantee that it does not count towards it.
    JohnO, May 11, 2004

  2. JohnO wrote:
    > Just in case you didn't know:
    >
    > http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    >
    > You can set your adsl modem to log on as user and
    > password telecom

    I use this to prove my connection is the problem and not my ISP. I get
    sick of idiot helpdesk staff trying to get me to check my correct settings.

    > So, if you need to download linux iso's this is bloody good!

    I always wondered how up to date the files are on this site. It may take
    all night to download an ISO at 128ks^-1, but at least I still get it
    before many of the NZ mirrors.

    Plus jetstreamgames.co.nz does not have what I want... a FreeBSD mirror.
    I now keep up to date using cvsup, but download the releases to install
    clean systems or give to people.

    > * You better double check this yourself before risking exceeding your cap. I
    > cannot guarantee that it does not count towards it.

    While it is true you can't guarantee Telecom won't stuff up and charge
    you for it anyway, or change the rules on us, this is how it is meant to
    work. Access to jetstreamgames.co.nz in this way is free.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, May 11, 2004

  3. JohnO

    Mutley Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:15:52 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >Just in case you didn't know:
    >
    >http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    >
    >You can set your adsl modem to log on as user and
    >password telecom
    >
    >This points your adsl connection into the jetstreamgames context. The
    >benefit of this is that a) your jetstream connection runs at high speed (I
    >didn't get 8Mbit/sec but did get around 1Mbit/sec on my 256 Surf
    >connection!) and b) ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ has a bunch of linux distros
    >complete with iso's to download and best of all c) Downloading does not seem
    >to count towards your cap! *
    >
    >Note: you cannot access anywhere outside of the jetstreamgames.co.nz when
    >connected through this context.
    >
    >So, if you need to download linux iso's this is bloody good!
    >
    >Also, they have scads of game demos and game servers running there too.
    >
    >Hope that helps,
    >JohnO
    >
    >* You better double check this yourself before risking exceeding your cap. I
    >cannot guarantee that it does not count towards it.

    You mean there are up to date Lionux distros at this site???. Last
    time I looked they were way out of date. Also accessing this site.
    Does it impact on your 256K Jetsurf monthly allowence??

    Mutley, May 11, 2004
  4. JohnO

    JedMeister Guest

    maybe try the ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ server for more up-to-date stuff.

    JedMeister, May 11, 2004
  5. JohnO

    Don Gould Guest

    When are Telecom going to get the ERX platform set up properly so that
    we don't have to change logon details in our routers?

    The ERX are capable of providing full speed access to the servers while
    rate limiting to the rest of the net - that's the point of this technology!

    I'd suggest the reason the servers aren't up to date with distros is
    because no one is using them much.

    I know I never bother. It's more hassel than it's worth to muck about
    with user details in the router.

    I get half way thru something then someone else in the house wants to
    check mail.

    Yes I know we could use dial up when we're on the games servers but that
    then presents more cost and a host of other issues.... how many of our
    wifi machines have 'wifi' modems?

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 11, 2004
  6. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:15:52 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Just in case you didn't know:
    > >
    > >http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    > >
    > >You can set your adsl modem to log on as user

    and
    > >password telecom
    > >
    > >This points your adsl connection into the jetstreamgames context. The
    > >benefit of this is that a) your jetstream connection runs at high speed

    (I
    > >didn't get 8Mbit/sec but did get around 1Mbit/sec on my 256 Surf
    > >connection!) and b) ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ has a bunch of linux

    distros
    > >complete with iso's to download and best of all c) Downloading does not

    seem
    > >to count towards your cap! *
    > >
    > >Note: you cannot access anywhere outside of the jetstreamgames.co.nz when
    > >connected through this context.
    > >
    > >So, if you need to download linux iso's this is bloody good!
    > >
    > >Also, they have scads of game demos and game servers running there too.
    > >
    > >Hope that helps,
    > >JohnO
    > >
    > >* You better double check this yourself before risking exceeding your

    cap. I
    > >cannot guarantee that it does not count towards it.
    > >

    > You mean there are up to date Lionux distros at this site???. Last
    > time I looked they were way out of date. Also accessing this site.
    > Does it impact on your 256K Jetsurf monthly allowence??

    I was interested in Fedora iso's. The Fedora 1 iso's there are dated
    5-Nov-2003. The same iso's at fedora.redhat.com are dated 4-Nov-2003 so I
    guess that is as up to date as you can get?

    As already mentioned, there is *apparently* no effect on your download
    allowance when within the jetstreamgames context.

    JohnO
    JohnO, May 11, 2004
  7. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "Don Gould" <> wrote in message
    > When are Telecom going to get the ERX platform set up properly so that
    > we don't have to change logon details in our routers?
    >
    > The ERX are capable of providing full speed access to the servers while
    > rate limiting to the rest of the net - that's the point of this

    technology!

    > I'd suggest the reason the servers aren't up to date with distros is
    > because no one is using them much.
    >
    > I know I never bother. It's more hassel than it's worth to muck about
    > with user details in the router.
    >
    > I get half way thru something then someone else in the house wants to
    > check mail.
    >
    > Yes I know we could use dial up when we're on the games servers but that
    > then presents more cost and a host of other issues.... how many of our
    > wifi machines have 'wifi' modems?
    >
    > Cheers Don
    >
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > Just in case you didn't know:
    > >
    > > http://jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/
    > >
    > > You can set your adsl modem to log on as user

    and
    > > password telecom
    > >
    > > This points your adsl connection into the jetstreamgames context. The
    > > benefit of this is that a) your jetstream connection runs at high speed

    (I
    > > didn't get 8Mbit/sec but did get around 1Mbit/sec on my 256 Surf
    > > connection!) and b) ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ has a bunch of linux

    distros
    > > complete with iso's to download and best of all c) Downloading does not

    seem
    > > to count towards your cap! *
    > >
    > > Note: you cannot access anywhere outside of the jetstreamgames.co.nz

    when
    > > connected through this context.
    > >
    > > So, if you need to download linux iso's this is bloody good!
    > >
    > > Also, they have scads of game demos and game servers running there too.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps,
    > > JohnO
    > >
    > > * You better double check this yourself before risking exceeding your

    cap. I
    > > cannot guarantee that it does not count towards it.

    Don, the Fedora 1 iso's appear to be about the same date as those on the
    main Fedora Redhat download site.

    JohnO
    JohnO, May 11, 2004
  8. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    > maybe try the ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ server for more up-to-date

    stuff.

    No Fedora or Mandrake there. There were Gentoo and Debian trees but I could
    not see any iso's.

    The site I initially referenced seems to have reasonably up to date Fedora
    1, Mandrake 10 and possibly Gentoo and Knoppix.

    Could not see any kernel sources there byt they're so much smaller I
    wouldn't care about downloading them from regular jetstream.

    JohnO
    JohnO, May 11, 2004
  9. JohnO

    Mutley Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:50:30 +1200, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >maybe try the ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ server for more up-to-date stuff.

    Thanx for that :)
    Mutley, May 11, 2004
  10. JohnO

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in

    > "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    >> maybe try the ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/ server for more up-to-date

    > stuff.
    >>

    > No Fedora or Mandrake there. There were Gentoo and Debian trees but I
    > could not see any iso's.
    >
    > The site I initially referenced seems to have reasonably up to date
    > Fedora 1, Mandrake 10 and possibly Gentoo and Knoppix.
    >
    > Could not see any kernel sources there byt they're so much smaller I
    > wouldn't care about downloading them from regular jetstream.
    >
    > JohnO

    No SuSE. Nearest SuSE mirror is AU, and speed wise it seems faster to go
    to the States.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2004