    Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.

    TIA.

    RH
    Rockfield, May 26, 2004

  2. Rockfield

    Gurble Guest

    On 26 May 2004 11:03:36 +1200, Rockfield
    <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
    >JS connection.
    >
    >All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
    >he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
    >card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
    >Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >
    >Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.

    It's a case of being misinformed.

    As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
    there's not going to be a problem.
    Gurble, May 26, 2004

  3. Rockfield

    Howard Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On 26 May 2004 11:03:36 +1200, Rockfield
    > <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding
    >> getting a JS connection.
    >>
    >> All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the
    >> machine he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook
    >> with an AeroPort card. Said young lady said that this was a major
    >> as JS doesn't support Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >>
    >> Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
    >>

    > It's a case of being misinformed.
    >
    > As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
    > there's not going to be a problem.

    Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
    ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE on
    Windoze works" or something to that effect.
    Howard, May 26, 2004
  4. Rockfield

    Rockfield Guest

    Gurble <> wrote in

    > On 26 May 2004 11:03:36 +1200, Rockfield
    > <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding
    >>getting a JS connection.
    >>
    >>All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the
    >>machine he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook
    >>with an AeroPort card. Said young lady said that this was a major as
    >>JS doesn't support Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >>
    >>Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
    >>

    > It's a case of being misinformed.
    >
    > As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
    > there's not going to be a problem.

    Thanks Gurble, as I suspected. Just had to check that Telecom weren't
    pulling a swift one.

    Cheers.

    RH
    Rockfield, May 26, 2004
  5. Rockfield

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <Xns94F570AE2B8F5richardhixnetnz@203.97.97.132>,
    Rockfield <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
    > JS connection.
    >
    > All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
    > he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
    > card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
    > Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >
    > Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > RH

    grossly missinformed as that is exactly what I am doing right now
    whoisthis, May 26, 2004
  6. Rockfield

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <ReTsc.10160$>,
    "Howard" <> wrote:

    > > It's a case of being misinformed.
    > >
    > > As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
    > > there's not going to be a problem.

    > Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
    > ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE on
    > Windoze works" or something to that effect.

    yep, dont expect much help from telecom or any ISP, they are just a
    myopic and as PC user.
    whoisthis, May 26, 2004
  7. Rockfield

    Mike_P Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ReTsc.10160$>,
    > "Howard" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > It's a case of being misinformed.
    > > >
    > > > As long as you're using a router, and your Apple uses standard TCP/IP,
    > > > there's not going to be a problem.

    > > Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
    > > ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE

    on
    > > Windoze works" or something to that effect.
    > >

    > yep, dont expect much help from telecom or any ISP, they are just a
    > myopic and as PC user.

    Gee, this might be helpful... if it made any sense.!
    Mike_P, May 26, 2004
  8. Rockfield

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <40b44a42$>,
    "Mike_P" <> wrote:

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message

    > > > Gurble is correct, as usual, except that if there is a problem and the
    > > > ISP/Telecom is called for support, they will likely say "sorry, only IE

    > on
    > > > Windoze works" or something to that effect.
    > > >

    > > yep, dont expect much help from telecom or any ISP, they are just a
    > > myopic and as PC user.

    > Gee, this might be helpful... if it made any sense.!

    late night last night....
    try "they are just as myopic as any PC user"
    whoisthis, May 26, 2004
  9. Rockfield

    Collector Guest

    Rockfield wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
    >JS connection.
    >
    >All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
    >he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
    >card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
    >Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >
    >Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
    >
    >TIA.
    >
    >RH

    Right and Wrong.

    The telecom lady is correct the Aeroport card cannot connect an apple
    system to the Telecom *Wireless* JS, but it can connect it to suitably
    configured *Wired* JS
    Collector, May 26, 2004
  10. Rockfield

    Rockfield Guest

    Collector <> wrote in

    > Rockfield wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding
    >>getting a JS connection.
    >>
    >>All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the
    >>machine he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook
    >>with an AeroPort card. Said young lady said that this was a major as
    >>JS doesn't support Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >>
    >>Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
    >>
    >>TIA.
    >>
    >>RH
    >>

    > Right and Wrong.
    >
    > The telecom lady is correct the Aeroport card cannot connect an apple
    > system to the Telecom *Wireless* JS, but it can connect it to suitably
    > configured *Wired* JS

    Got ya.

    RH
    Rockfield, May 26, 2004
  11. Rockfield

    steve Guest

    Rockfield wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
    > JS connection.
    >
    > All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
    > he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
    > card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
    > Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >
    > Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > RH

    If he has his own wireless access point for a local WLAN (like the DSE
    ADSL Router), then it's crap. His ADSL router can terminate the ADSL
    connection and then he plugs his local AP into a LAN port on the ADSL
    router. His wireless network adaptors then talk to the Access Point.

    This is what I do. I have 5 wired systems in one room (2 servers and 3
    desktops) and 3 linux-based wireless systems around the rest of the house.

    I was too lazy to crawl around under the new house putting in
    cable....and too cheap to pay for it to be done by someone else.

    Wireless rocks.
    steve, May 27, 2004
  12. steve wrote:
    > This is what I do. I have 5 wired systems in one room (2 servers and 3
    > desktops) and 3 linux-based wireless systems around the rest of the house.

    been meaning to ask this for a while... is this a home business? or are
    you overly obsessed with having more home PC's than anyone? :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 27, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    > > This is what I do. I have 5 wired systems in one room (2 servers and 3
    > > desktops) and 3 linux-based wireless systems around the rest of the house.

    > been meaning to ask this for a while... is this a home business? or are
    > you overly obsessed with having more home PC's than anyone? :)

    I have about 360 computers at home, OK most are not currently in working
    state and 99% of them can not talk IP at all.... but does that count ?
    Dont want spam, May 27, 2004
  14. In article <Xns94F570AE2B8F5richardhixnetnz@203.97.97.132>, Rockfield
    <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > A friend of mine was talking to a young lady at telecom regarding getting a
    > JS connection.
    >
    > All was fine, yep no problems at all, until he mentioned that the machine
    > he would be using to browse the web was an Apple Powerbook with an AeroPort
    > card. Said young lady said that this was a major as JS doesn't support
    > Apple hardware with wireless access.
    >
    > Is this correct or a case of being misinformed.

    It may not be a supported option in terms of what they are prepared to
    give support for.
    Patrick Dunford, May 27, 2004
  15. Rockfield

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> This is what I do. I have 5 wired systems in one room (2 servers and 3
    >> desktops) and 3 linux-based wireless systems around the rest of the
    >> house.

    > been meaning to ask this for a while... is this a home business? or are
    > you overly obsessed with having more home PC's than anyone? :)

    We work from home. So I have a mail/web server and a file/print server.

    There are four of us, so we each have a desktop . except I have two -
    one for normal use and one for "sandbox".

    :)
    steve, May 27, 2004
  16. Rockfield

    Andrew Guest

    Dont want spam, when stopped by the local constabulary on 27/05/2004
    12:33 p.m., made the following statement:

    > I have about 360 computers at home, OK most are not currently in working
    > state and 99% of them can not talk IP at all.... but does that count ?

    Damn. I was hoping to win with a mere 60 (or so) computers.

    On the bright side, almost all of mine work. Though TCP/IP is still a
    problem with most.

    I guess they still don't count :(
    --
    Andrew
    http://www.evil.geek.nz/
    Andrew, May 27, 2004
  17. Rockfield

    brundlefly Guest

    Dont want spam wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> This is what I do. I have 5 wired systems in one room (2 servers
    >>> and 3 desktops) and 3 linux-based wireless systems around the rest
    >>> of the house.

    >> been meaning to ask this for a while... is this a home business? or
    >> are you overly obsessed with having more home PC's than anyone? :)

    > I have about 360 computers at home, OK most are not currently in
    > working state and 99% of them can not talk IP at all.... but does
    > that count ?

    No
    brundlefly, May 27, 2004