    Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
    like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
    days at a time.

    Chris Hope, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Chris Hope

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:15:28 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
    >Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
    >minute.
    >
    >I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
    >TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
    >address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
    >changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
    >least once per minute.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
    >like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
    >days at a time.

    If their IP is chaning that frequently, then i'm guessing they are getting
    disconnected and reconnected that many times too. Is their connection actually
    useable?
    Perhaps look at their line, otherwise complain to Telecom and/or their ISP.

    The disconnect and change IP thing is quite interesting actually, just over a
    month ago I had a problem that mine wasn't logging any traffic at my ISP.
    During this time I got no disconnects at all. In the end I lost this situaltion
    as I needed to disconnect the power to my modem. Normally I was getting
    disconnected every day or so, but when I first got Jetstart about 3 years ago it
    used to stay connected for over a month at a time. At the moment it seems to be
    about a week.

    My feeling is that the ADSL disconnects are intentional, either by Telecom or my
    ISP.

    Craig Shore, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Chris Hope

    Mutlley Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    >I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
    >Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
    >minute.
    >
    >I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
    >TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
    >address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
    >changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
    >least once per minute.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
    >like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
    >days at a time.

    Are they on Jetstart?? Do they have a Dynalink RTA020 router?? How
    far from the Telecom exchange are they??

    I had this same problem when I was on Jetstart but it was every 30
    minutes. When I changed my router to s DSE model the problem went
    away..

    Mutlley, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > If their IP is chaning that frequently, then i'm guessing they are getting
    > disconnected and reconnected that many times too.  Is their connection
    > actually useable?
    > Perhaps look at their line, otherwise complain to Telecom and/or their
    > ISP.

    As long as something is connected it maintains the IP address. Right now I'm
    connected to the PC I've been trying to get to and the IP address isn't
    changing. But no doubt as soon as I disconnect it will change again. I've
    had no problems actually using the connection at their place. I was
    planning on giving Telecom/Xtra a call but thought I'd see if anyone else
    had experienced this problem first.

    Chris Hope, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    > Are they on Jetstart??

    Full speed Jetstream

    > Do they have a  Dynalink RTA020 router??

    No, it's a Plexuscom

    > How far from the Telecom exchange are they??

    About 1/2 km from the maximum. There's no actual connectivity problems
    though, just the damn IP address keeps changing.

    Chris Hope, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Chris Hope

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:57:59 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> If their IP is chaning that frequently, then i'm guessing they are getting
    >> disconnected and reconnected that many times too.  Is their connection
    >> actually useable?
    >> Perhaps look at their line, otherwise complain to Telecom and/or their
    >> ISP.

    >As long as something is connected it maintains the IP address. Right now I'm
    >connected to the PC I've been trying to get to and the IP address isn't
    >changing. But no doubt as soon as I disconnect it will change again. I've
    >had no problems actually using the connection at their place. I was
    >planning on giving Telecom/Xtra a call but thought I'd see if anyone else
    >had experienced this problem first.

    You haven't got the modem set to auto-disconnect when not in use have you?

    Craig Shore, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Chris Hope

    Mutlley Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    >Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Are they on Jetstart??

    >Full speed Jetstream
    >
    >> Do they have a  Dynalink RTA020 router??

    >No, it's a Plexuscom
    >
    >> How far from the Telecom exchange are they??

    >About 1/2 km from the maximum. There's no actual connectivity problems
    >though, just the damn IP address keeps changing.

    Hmm.. Just wondering if it's worth going to an ISP that may give you
    a free fixed IP address. I know Orcon was doing that some months ago
    for Jetsurf. Not sure if they do it for full Jetstream..

    Mutlley, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    > Hmm..  Just wondering if it's worth going to  an ISP that may give you
    > a free  fixed IP address.  I know Orcon was doing that some months ago
    > for Jetsurf.  Not sure if they do it for full Jetstream..

    I think Telecom do it for full speed for a price, and the others all do it
    for free. And yeah, maybe an idea to change ISP. Since I managed to log in
    this morning in the few seconds it was on the same address it's stayed
    constant all morning. Crazy stuff!

    Chris Hope, Jun 14, 2004
  9. Chris Hope

    steve Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
    > Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
    > minute.
    >
    > I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
    > TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
    > address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
    > changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
    > least once per minute.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
    > like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
    > days at a time.

    Is the other end an Xtra customer? Or on the cheapest service?

    I'm on Orcon and have a static IP 24/7 on ADSL - 256k Surf / 10GB

    steve, Jun 14, 2004
  10. In article <>, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    > I've been trying to set up remote access to one of my parent's PCs over
    > Jetstream but the IP address keeps changing, sometimes several times per
    > minute.
    > I'm using dynamic dns to update a domain name (which has a short 30 seconds
    > TTL) and a script that runs on the PC once per minute to update the
    > address, but I'm still having problems accessing it because the IP address
    > changes so frequently. This morning between 7am and 8.15 it changed at
    > least once per minute.
    > Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case? I've never had problems
    > like this with my own connection - it will retain the same IP address for
    > days at a time.

    yeah... had this and puzzled for a long time.

    Look up the thread on google groups "rapid IP rotation blues",
    specially the last couple of posts where Craig Whitmore reveals the
    answer...

    Denis

    --
    97.5%