Jetstream in Maraetai - yeah, right

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sue Bilstein, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    I live at Maraetai. We are on fibre optic cable here, which means no
    Jetstream - until they put some kind of mini-exchange gadget on our
    end of the cable.

    So, last week we received a mail-out from Telecom: Jetstream is
    available. I rang up straight away, and spent a couple of hours on
    Friday with a CS rep getting everything organized. To get an extra
    $10 off per month, I let them move my tolls from Slingshot back to
    Telecom. They could shave a few cents off the Slingshot rates, to get
    me back.

    The pack with modem and filters actually arrived on Saturday.

    Monday I got a call from the CS rep: Terribly sorry, but you can't
    get Jetstream after all. He said that in fact they don't know till
    the tech goes out to the exchange whether this is possible, but they
    are instructed to sign people up anyway.

    Well ... I wrung their withers & threatened to invoice them for my
    time. They're giving me a month's free line rental. They're sorry
    but they can't transfer me back to Slingshot, I'll have to do this -
    and I will! The supervisor couldn't possibly comment whether anyone
    in Maraetai will actually be able to use Jetstream.

    So if you live somewhere semi-rural, and you get a mail-out saying
    Jetstream has arrived in your area, take it with a big grain of salt.

    Sue Bilstein, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Sue Bilstein

    SNOman Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > I live at Maraetai. We are on fibre optic cable here, which means no
    > Jetstream - until they put some kind of mini-exchange gadget on our
    > end of the cable.
    >
    > So, last week we received a mail-out from Telecom: Jetstream is
    > available. I rang up straight away, and spent a couple of hours on
    > Friday with a CS rep getting everything organized. To get an extra
    > $10 off per month, I let them move my tolls from Slingshot back to
    > Telecom. They could shave a few cents off the Slingshot rates, to get
    > me back.
    >
    > The pack with modem and filters actually arrived on Saturday.
    >
    > Monday I got a call from the CS rep: Terribly sorry, but you can't
    > get Jetstream after all. He said that in fact they don't know till
    > the tech goes out to the exchange whether this is possible, but they
    > are instructed to sign people up anyway.
    >
    > Well ... I wrung their withers & threatened to invoice them for my
    > time. They're giving me a month's free line rental. They're sorry
    > but they can't transfer me back to Slingshot, I'll have to do this -
    > and I will! The supervisor couldn't possibly comment whether anyone
    > in Maraetai will actually be able to use Jetstream.
    >
    > So if you live somewhere semi-rural, and you get a mail-out saying
    > Jetstream has arrived in your area, take it with a big grain of salt.

    I'm in Auckland and can't get jetstream because of some fibre somewhere
    between my street and the exchange.

    SNOman, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Sue Bilstein

    Collector_NZ Guest

    SNOman said the following on 21/06/2004 12:47:

    > I'm in Auckland and can't get jetstream because of some fibre somewhere
    > between my street and the exchange.

    The Fibre problem is very common in Auckland, mainly where subdivision
    developers have opted to install thier own coms rather than pay telecoms
    exhorbitent rates, then sign it over to Telecom.
    Sacremento is an example and lots of other developements in that area.

    Collector_NZ, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Sue Bilstein

    Daykin2k Guest

    o thats pathetic, and to think their cs staff surely have such info on their
    systems ??

    slack of telecom, then again, i wldnt expect anything less

    Daykin2k, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Sue Bilstein

    PJB Guest

    I moved to Wellington 2 months ago for a few years to look after my parents
    after living in Maraetai for 8 years. Still have my house there. The problem
    was known 12 months ago when they announced it. I rang Telecom and told them
    of the problem, but it was already planned and no one knew who to tell to
    stop it.

    I get Telstra/Saturn phone, cable TV+Sky Sport and 2mb/sec high speed
    internet here for $129 per month here in Wellington. The service is great
    and no setup fee involved.

    PJB, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Sue Bilstein

    Rob Guest

    Sue Bilstein <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Monday I got a call from the CS rep: Terribly sorry, but you can't
    > get Jetstream after all. He said that in fact they don't know till
    > the tech goes out to the exchange whether this is possible, but they
    > are instructed to sign people up anyway.
    >
    > Well ... I wrung their withers & threatened to invoice them for my
    > time. They're giving me a month's free line rental. They're sorry
    > but they can't transfer me back to Slingshot, I'll have to do this -
    > and I will! The supervisor couldn't possibly comment whether anyone
    > in Maraetai will actually be able to use Jetstream.
    >
    > So if you live somewhere semi-rural, and you get a mail-out saying
    > Jetstream has arrived in your area, take it with a big grain of salt.

    The flipside of this is we were told by TelstraClear that yes full
    service would be available in our area in October 2001.

    Still waiting.......

    Rob, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Sue Bilstein

    philip Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > Sue Bilstein <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >

    >>Monday I got a call from the CS rep: Terribly sorry, but you can't
    >>get Jetstream after all. He said that in fact they don't know till
    >>the tech goes out to the exchange whether this is possible, but they
    >>are instructed to sign people up anyway.
    >>
    >>Well ... I wrung their withers & threatened to invoice them for my
    >>time. They're giving me a month's free line rental. They're sorry
    >>but they can't transfer me back to Slingshot, I'll have to do this -
    >>and I will! The supervisor couldn't possibly comment whether anyone
    >>in Maraetai will actually be able to use Jetstream.
    >>
    >>So if you live somewhere semi-rural, and you get a mail-out saying
    >>Jetstream has arrived in your area, take it with a big grain of salt.

    > The flipside of this is we were told by TelstraClear that yes full
    > service would be available in our area in October 2001.
    >
    > Still waiting.......

    Which of the political parties is suggesting that it will move to
    address any of thesde problems before, during or after the upcoming
    elections?

    And without government backing, what can ordinary citzens outside the
    biggest cities in NZ do to confront the slow, backward,
    third-world-style "parastatals" that are the telcos in NZ?

    Philip

    philip, Jul 14, 2004
  8. philip wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> Sue Bilstein <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Monday I got a call from the CS rep: Terribly sorry, but you can't
    >>> get Jetstream after all. He said that in fact they don't know till
    >>> the tech goes out to the exchange whether this is possible, but they
    >>> are instructed to sign people up anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Well ... I wrung their withers & threatened to invoice them for my
    >>> time. They're giving me a month's free line rental. They're sorry
    >>> but they can't transfer me back to Slingshot, I'll have to do this -
    >>> and I will! The supervisor couldn't possibly comment whether anyone
    >>> in Maraetai will actually be able to use Jetstream.
    >>>
    >>> So if you live somewhere semi-rural, and you get a mail-out saying
    >>> Jetstream has arrived in your area, take it with a big grain of salt.

    >> The flipside of this is we were told by TelstraClear that yes full
    >> service would be available in our area in October 2001.
    >>
    >> Still waiting.......

    > Which of the political parties is suggesting that it will move to
    > address any of thesde problems before, during or after the upcoming
    > elections?
    >
    > And without government backing, what can ordinary citzens outside the
    > biggest cities in NZ do to confront the slow, backward,
    > third-world-style "parastatals" that are the telcos in NZ?

    set up their own gear, trunk it to the city, and go from there.

    C--(==========)--H

    C = City
    - = cable to wireless link
    ( and ) = Wireless dishes
    === = Data transmitted over wireless.
    H = Hicksville.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2004
  9. Sue Bilstein

    WS Guest

    Worst case scenario: Packetize data on paper or USB memory stick, and send
    by pigeon. Reassemble in city and send on Internet. Reverse process for
    return journey.

    The only problem is do we have enough IP addresses to register every pigeon?
    And what if the pigeon suffers a CRC check error in mid flight - Poor
    bugger.

    WS, Jul 15, 2004
  10. Sue Bilstein

    Collector Guest

    WS said the following on 15/07/2004 18:32:

    > Worst case scenario: Packetize data on paper or USB memory stick, and send
    > by pigeon. Reassemble in city and send on Internet. Reverse process for
    > return journey.
    >
    > The only problem is do we have enough IP addresses to register every pigeon?
    > And what if the pigeon suffers a CRC check error in mid flight - Poor
    > bugger.

    Dont knock it, its been done and in NZ too

    http://www.waitomo.co.nz/pigeonpix.html

    Collector, Jul 15, 2004
  11. In nz.general WS <> wrote:
    > Worst case scenario: Packetize data on paper or USB memory stick, and send
    > by pigeon. Reassemble in city and send on Internet. Reverse process for
    > return journey.

    > The only problem is do we have enough IP addresses to register every pigeon?
    > And what if the pigeon suffers a CRC check error in mid flight - Poor
    > bugger.

    This is a solved problem:

    http://rfc.net/rfc2549.html

    --