Jetstream availability?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Howard, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one of
    the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for my
    internet business.

    And having an internet business, I need fast internet access. At the moment
    I work and serve from home (my server configuration is quite specific), but
    I could colocate if I needed to. Even then I's still need fast internet (up
    & down) to control the server etc.

    So I have to live in a house with good internet access. I have been telling
    all the real estates agent that I need jetstream. Most say 'what's that', or
    'yes this house is perfectfor you - you can dial up to the internet from it"
    etc. Not a good look.

    I have used the Telecom page whereby one can supply the phone number of a
    property and it says whether it can receive jetstream, but that is a bit
    cumbersome given the number of properties that I'm looking at (most agents
    are reluctant to give out the working number of the house).

    So can anyone tell me of a resource or map which tells me which areas are
    jetstream capable? Or even a map of jetstream enabled exchanges?

    And what able the alternatives? Whoosh/ BCL. Are they likely to be a good
    option?

    TIA

    -H

    Howard, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Howard

    NZed Guest

    Sounds serious Howard...
    Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders moving
    to wellington.
    Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie Paradise.

    NZed

    NZed, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Howard

    JedMeister Guest

    I had the same issue when I moved recently. While searching, I phoned
    Telecom to make sure each property I looked at was jetstream capable.

    But, Telecom would not guarantee that any of the houses could definitely
    receive Jetstream services, even if they were in the jetstream area. Telecom
    would say however that a given address would probably be capable of
    receiving jetstream.

    JedMeister, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Howard

    Howard Guest

    NZed wrote:

    > Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders
    > moving to wellington.
    > Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie
    > Paradise.

    Yes, I'm jealous of people with paradise.

    But I have two goals of moving, 1) to escape the big city life and 2) to
    free up some capital. So moving to another big city won't do it...

    Howard, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Howard

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <QF9wb.7373$>, howhard1309
    @hotmail.com says...
    > I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one of
    > the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for my
    > internet business.
    >
    > And having an internet business, I need fast internet access. At the moment
    > I work and serve from home (my server configuration is quite specific), but
    > I could colocate if I needed to. Even then I's still need fast internet (up
    > & down) to control the server etc.
    >
    > So I have to live in a house with good internet access. I have been telling
    > all the real estates agent that I need jetstream. Most say 'what's that', or
    > 'yes this house is perfectfor you - you can dial up to the internet from it"
    > etc. Not a good look.
    >
    > I have used the Telecom page whereby one can supply the phone number of a
    > property and it says whether it can receive jetstream, but that is a bit
    > cumbersome given the number of properties that I'm looking at (most agents
    > are reluctant to give out the working number of the house).
    >
    > So can anyone tell me of a resource or map which tells me which areas are
    > jetstream capable? Or even a map of jetstream enabled exchanges?
    >
    > And what able the alternatives? Whoosh/ BCL. Are they likely to be a good
    > option?

    Wellington or Christchurch with Saturn cable is an option.

    Mainlander, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Howard

    Peter Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one
    > of the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital
    > for my internet business.

    There has been some reports of beefing up internet access in Taranaki. (I'm
    on jetstream starter, so don't have first hand knowledge of how well this
    has succeeded.) There are a couple of internet / software businesses based
    in New Plymouth.
    These links might help ...
    http://www.taranaki.info/news/vn_jul2003.htm
    http://www.itaranaki.co.nz/organisation/managementcommittee.htm
    You could contact Venture Tarnaki, or one of the folks at itaranaki for more
    info.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Howard

    Jerry Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:13:49 +1300, "Howard" <>
    wrote:

    >NZed wrote:
    >
    >> Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders
    >> moving to wellington.
    >> Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie
    >> Paradise.

    >Yes, I'm jealous of people with paradise.
    >
    >But I have two goals of moving, 1) to escape the big city life and 2) to
    >free up some capital. So moving to another big city won't do it...

    Wellington is a big city?

    Jerry

    Jerry, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Howard

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Hi Howard

    The Telecom website has a search facility that will tell you if Telecom
    think Jetstream is available in a particular street in NZ.

    As of last Xmas, Turangi did not have access - might give you something to
    go on.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Howard

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <QF9wb.7373$>,
    "Howard" <> wrote:

    > I'm looking seriously at leaving the Auckland rat race and moving to one of
    > the smaller cites around the country, thereby freeing up some capital for my
    > internet business.

    Thought about Dunedin? Still has some of the benefits of bigger cities
    but is rediculously cheap to live here by comparison. Most of the city
    has Jetstream, but not if you head out the peninsular, etc. Also a local
    company is bringing wireless to the city which may be perfect for you.
    They are also going to have (or do they already?) a co-location facility
    you could chuck your server in.

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Nov 24, 2003
  10. Howard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:53:47 +1300, NZed wrote:

    > Sounds serious Howard...
    > Considered Wellington ?....I have noticed more and more aucklanders moving
    > to wellington.
    > Has all your internet access needs....we also have cable...ie Paradise.

    Wellington might well be the place for you

    Got all the important facilities which one expects from a city, with a few
    notable differences from Auckland:

    * clean air
    * a much more vibrant, uplifting refreshing 'feel' to the place
    * a Wellingtonian's idea of 'traffic jam' is being delayed for 10 minutes
    at peak hour

    Evil Bastard, Nov 24, 2003
  11. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:26, in <pan.2003.11.24.16.26.10.120587@127.0.0.1>,
    Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Wellington might well be the place for you
    >
    > Got all the important facilities which one expects from a city, with a
    > few notable differences from Auckland:
    >
    > * clean air
    > * a much more vibrant, uplifting refreshing 'feel' to the place

    I'm in Hastings (and getting ADSL on Thursday), but I would have to
    endorse the above comments. If I was given a choice between Auckland and
    Wellington, the decision to choose Wgtn would take maybe a picasecond.
    Of course, given a choice between Grozny and Auckland, I'd have to think
    long and hard, but Wellington is pretty much the perfect city, IMO. Big
    enoughh to have big city amenities, small enough to be cosy, and
    culturally and intellectually vibrant, with two things Auckland will
    never be able to buy - character and soul. If moving to sunny Hawke's
    Bay is not on your agenda, and if you need a a metropolis, it's
    absolutely positively got to be Whanganui-a-Tara.

    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 24, 2003
  12. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > I'm in Hastings (and getting ADSL on Thursday), but I would have to
    > endorse the above comments. If I was given a choice between Auckland
    > and Wellington, the decision to choose Wgtn would take maybe a
    > picasecond. Of course, given a choice between Grozny and Auckland,
    > I'd have to think long and hard, but Wellington is pretty much the
    > perfect city, IMO. Big enoughh to have big city amenities, small
    > enough to be cosy, and culturally and intellectually vibrant, with
    > two things Auckland will never be able to buy - character and soul.
    > If moving to sunny Hawke's Bay is not on your agenda, and if you
    > need a a metropolis, it's absolutely positively got to be
    > Whanganui-a-Tara.

    The surprising thing for me in all of this was the nationwide nature of the
    property boom. My house has increased by 50% in the last year, but that
    appears sedentary compared to areas like Nelson or Napier/Hastings. Another
    of my favourite spots is Taranaki (snow covered mountain + surf within half
    an hour) and while booming, its off a low base so still affordable...

    Howard, Nov 24, 2003
  13. Howard

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:17:49 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

    > I'm in Hastings (and getting ADSL on Thursday), but I would have to
    > endorse the above comments. If I was given a choice between Auckland and
    > Wellington, the decision to choose Wgtn would take maybe a picasecond. Of
    > course, given a choice between Grozny and Auckland, I'd have to think long
    > and hard,

    Hehe... as much as I love Wgtn, I would still pick Auckland over Grozny.

    But then again, I've never been to Grozny... ;)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 24, 2003
  14. wellington has wireless www.nzwireless.co.nz

    and fibre-optic cable (inner city only) www.citylink.co.nz YUM

    and of course saturn's cable. but it isn't super fast, especially on the
    upload speeds.... 128 k, i believe.

    Rimu Atkinson, Nov 25, 2003
  15. >
    > Wellington is a big city?

    no, it's not. it's a village, with a few blocks of tall buildings in the
    middle.

    yes, i live here. :)

    Rimu Atkinson, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Howard

    Jerry Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:32:46 +1300, "Rimu Atkinson"
    <> wrote:

    >> Wellington is a big city?
    >>

    >no, it's not. it's a village, with a few blocks of tall buildings in the
    >middle.
    >
    >yes, i live here. :)

    I agree with you, I live here, grew up in Los Angeles.

    Jerry, Nov 25, 2003