    Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
    get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?

    excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...

    Kiwi Trev, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Kiwi Trev

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, "Kiwi Trev" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >Currently on dial-up with Orcon.
    >
    >Looking at moving up to jetstream/high speed/something faster than this.
    >
    >I d/l a lot of MP3's from usenet.
    >
    >Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
    >get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?
    >
    >excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...

    newsgroups will speed up also, considerably so in my experience, and
    since I recently blew my gig limit, and have had my speed cut back to
    dial up, the difference is REALLY noticeable.

    Squirrel

    Squirrel, Aug 13, 2005

  3. Kiwi Trev

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, Kiwi Trev wrote:

    > Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
    > get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?

    A high speed connection applies to your connection. All things being equal
    everything will happen faster, after all your connection only is about
    receiving 0's and 1's, whether it is a porn picture or spam is up your
    machine to sort out.

    In the real world, generally speaking, things are more interactive.

    Gordon, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Kiwi Trev

    Kiwi Trev Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, Kiwi Trev wrote:
    >
    >> Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or
    >> will I
    >> get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?

    > A high speed connection applies to your connection. All things being equal
    > everything will happen faster, after all your connection only is about
    > receiving 0's and 1's, whether it is a porn picture or spam is up your
    > machine to sort out.
    >
    > In the real world, generally speaking, things are more interactive.

    thanks to both of you for replies

    Kiwi Trev, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Kiwi Trev

    Phstpok Guest

    Squirrel stubbed out the damp squib on 13/08/2005 3:24 p.m.and tried to
    bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, "Kiwi Trev" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>Currently on dial-up with Orcon.
    >>
    >>Looking at moving up to jetstream/high speed/something faster than this.
    >>
    >>I d/l a lot of MP3's from usenet.
    >>
    >>Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
    >>get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?
    >>
    >>excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...
    >>

    > newsgroups will speed up also, considerably so in my experience, and
    > since I recently blew my gig limit, and have had my speed cut back to
    > dial up, the difference is REALLY noticeable.
    >
    > Squirrel

    Except on Paradise news server. I'm on cable and it runs like a dog.

    Phstpok, Aug 13, 2005
  6. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:24:26 +1200, Squirrel <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, "Kiwi Trev" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>Currently on dial-up with Orcon.
    >>
    >>Looking at moving up to jetstream/high speed/something faster than this.
    >>
    >>I d/l a lot of MP3's from usenet.
    >>
    >>Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
    >>get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?
    >>
    >>excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...
    >>

    >newsgroups will speed up also, considerably so in my experience, and
    >since I recently blew my gig limit, and have had my speed cut back to
    >dial up, the difference is REALLY noticeable.
    >
    >Squirrel

    Except that Telecom seems to be doing traffic shaping on the ADSL
    connection to my ISP (World-Net) that limits my download speed on
    anything other than port 80 to less than half speed (256/128 kibits/s
    UBS connection).

    Stephen Worthington, Aug 13, 2005
  7. In article <42fe0f1b$>, Phstpok <> wrote:

    >Except on Paradise news server. I'm on cable and it runs like a dog.

    Oh? I'm on cable too. I recently switched from 256K to 2M plan, and using
    the Paradise (actually TelstraClear) news server my peak download speed went
    from about 30 KB/sec to 220 KB/sec. The long-term average used to be about
    110 MB/hour, now it's 740 MB/hour. Those figures are about in line with what
    I would expect from the raw speed difference. If you're not getting that
    sort of performance you ought to look at a trace of a typical download and
    see where the delays are happening.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Spam Blackhole, Aug 14, 2005