Jetstarter to get the chop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Chris

    Mutley Guest

    Chris <> wrote:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3580405
    >
    >In the herald (if you didn't read the url:)
    >
    >I do wonder how they come up with their *facts* though *cough*

    No doubt that by closing down this " high speed Internet product"
    Telecom can now control what the ISP gives you regarding download
    caps etc..

    Mutley, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Chris

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Mike_P" <> wrote in message

    > High Speed ???

    Yeah, Teresa was "high" on "speed" when she approved the blatant crippling
    of kiwis internet access known as Jetstopper.

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Chris

    Mike_P Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message news:41048e5f$...
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3580405
    >
    > In the herald (if you didn't read the url:)
    >
    > I do wonder how they come up with their *facts* though *cough*

    "Telecom is to shut down its high speed internet product JetStream Starter
    from the end of September."

    High Speed ???

    Mike_P, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Chris

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:09:32 +1200, Mutley wrote:

    > No doubt that by closing down this " high speed Internet product"
    > Telecom can now control what the ISP gives you regarding download
    > caps etc..

    Please continue as there is no doubt.

    Gordon, Jul 26, 2004
  6. ha ha ha highspeed they are so full of it they probably even are beginning
    to believe in this.

    Jed Meisterdude, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Suddenly, Chris sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3580405
    >
    > In the herald (if you didn't read the url:)
    >
    > I do wonder how they come up with their *facts* though *cough*

    LOL! Some of the lowest traffic limits in the OECD! Reeeaally?
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jul 26, 2004
  8. Chris

    Pudding Pimp Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3580405
    >
    > In the herald (if you didn't read the url:)
    >
    > I do wonder how they come up with their *facts* though *cough*

    This has really bad consequences for Free software developers.
    Jetstart is the only semi-reasonably priced plan Telescum does (did).

    There's no way I'm going to be able to continue development work with a
    1 Gig cap.

    I guess I'm going to have to move house to get wired country. :(

    Oh well,

    Dave Cameron

    Pudding Pimp, Jul 26, 2004
  9. Chris

    Harry Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > Suddenly, Chris sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3580405
    >>
    >> In the herald (if you didn't read the url:)
    >>
    >> I do wonder how they come up with their *facts* though *cough*
    >>

    > LOL! Some of the lowest traffic limits in the OECD! Reeeaally?

    Really.

    Harry, Jul 26, 2004
  10. Pudding Pimp wrote:
    > There's no way I'm going to be able to continue development work with a
    > 1 Gig cap.

    whats wrong with the 256k offerings?

    besides, the bitstream access will be available to ISPs by then...

    Well, I heard november... but surely Telecom wouldn't do that, meaning
    that all customers would have to switch to their 256k offering.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 26, 2004
  11. Chris

    Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:33:57 +1200, "Ryan Jacobs"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mike_P" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> High Speed ???
    >>

    >Yeah, Teresa was "high" on "speed" when she approved the blatant crippling
    >of kiwis internet access known as Jetstopper.
    >
    >RJ out.

    Does anyone know if 'Teresa' attended University in Chino, California
    circa 1993...

    Cath

    , Jul 27, 2004
  12. Chris

    Pudding Pimp Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Pudding Pimp wrote:
    >
    >> There's no way I'm going to be able to continue development work with
    >> a 1 Gig cap.

    > whats wrong with the 256k offerings?

    low megabyte cap. my cvs updates from local (NZ) peers and mirrors eat
    almost 4gigs a week, and then there's the package updates (3gig a week)
    and email (100 meg a week at least). highest offering from telecon is
    10gig at over a $80 a month including local traffic. oh yeah and that's
    only if you use Xtra another isp is another 30 bucks a month.
    > besides, the bitstream access will be available to ISPs by then...
    >
    > Well, I heard november... but surely Telecom wouldn't do that, meaning
    > that all customers would have to switch to their 256k offering.

    bitstream access is the wrong term for what they're offering, They only
    allow ISP's access to the slow 256/128 and impose the same caps, only
    difference is who you pay the bill to.

    On the other hand if I didn't live in a valley I could get wired country
    2meg/s sync via ihug with a 20gig cap for $120 p/m same as telecon's
    pitiful offering.

    Later,

    Dave

    Pudding Pimp, Jul 27, 2004
  13. Chris

    EMB Guest

    Pudding Pimp wrote:

    > low megabyte cap. my cvs updates from local (NZ) peers and mirrors eat
    > almost 4gigs a week, and then there's the package updates (3gig a week)
    > and email (100 meg a week at least). highest offering from telecon is
    > 10gig at over a $80 a month including local traffic. oh yeah and that's
    > only if you use Xtra another isp is another 30 bucks a month.

    Really! Why am I paying ihug/telescum a total of just under $70 for
    10GB 256/128k adsl then?

    > bitstream access is the wrong term for what they're offering, They only
    > allow ISP's access to the slow 256/128 and impose the same caps, only
    > difference is who you pay the bill to.

    Wait and see - I'm not defending telescum but the last talks I had with
    ISP management implied that they will have *much* more freedom as to
    what they sell. Which ISP gets what will be a different story depending
    on what they can negotiate - Orcon have had a wholesaling agreement
    signed for the last couple of months and should be first out with "an
    interesting new offering".

    > On the other hand if I didn't live in a valley I could get wired country
    > 2meg/s sync via ihug with a 20gig cap for $120 p/m same as telecon's
    > pitiful offering.

    Agreed - I live in the central suburbs of Auckland and can't get any of
    the wireless options except Woosh (or someone's unsecured 802.11g
    wireless with a full rate adsl connection).

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 27, 2004
  14. Hi everybody - there is no need to panic about the withdrawl of
    JetStart as DSL wholesale is nearly here.

    Orcon has a special deal for customers that move to us before the
    launch of our new UBS (Unbundled Bitstream Service) Product

    After Orcon was the first to sign a wholesale agreement with Telecom a
    few months ago, details of our first wholesale DSL plan have now been
    released.

    The Orcon FastADSL Residential Flatrate deal is:
    * 256K download, 128K upload
    * No data caps or limits (ie, it's flatrate, and it won't slow down
    after 10GB)
    * Static IP address
    * No Telecom JetStream fees, service provided solely by Orcon
    * No setup fees
    * $49.95 per month (for existing Orcon JetStream/JetStart customers
    only)

    It will be avaliable sometime in September, a firm date will come
    soon.
    No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
    $49.95 all up including GST.

    To get your DSL at this price you need to be an Orcon
    Jetstream/Jetstart customer BEFORE the plan is released (sometime in
    September). If you sign up now you'll also go into the draw to win one
    of 5 Silver Playstation 2 prize packs.

    For more info see: http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/offers/bitstream/

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Jul 28, 2004
  15. Chris

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > Hi everybody - there is no need to panic about the withdrawl of
    > JetStart as DSL wholesale is nearly here.
    >
    > Orcon has a special deal for customers that move to us before the
    > launch of our new UBS (Unbundled Bitstream Service) Product
    >
    > After Orcon was the first to sign a wholesale agreement with Telecom a
    > few months ago, details of our first wholesale DSL plan have now been
    > released.
    >
    > The Orcon FastADSL Residential Flatrate deal is:
    > * 256K download, 128K upload
    > * No data caps or limits (ie, it's flatrate, and it won't slow down
    > after 10GB)
    > * Static IP address
    > * No Telecom JetStream fees, service provided solely by Orcon
    > * No setup fees
    > * $49.95 per month (for existing Orcon JetStream/JetStart customers
    > only)
    >
    > It will be avaliable sometime in September, a firm date will come
    > soon.
    > No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
    > $49.95 all up including GST.
    >
    > To get your DSL at this price you need to be an Orcon
    > Jetstream/Jetstart customer BEFORE the plan is released (sometime in
    > September). If you sign up now you'll also go into the draw to win one
    > of 5 Silver Playstation 2 prize packs.
    >
    > For more info see:
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/offers/bitstream/

    Thanks Seeby, I'll study the budget over the next few days. That looks good.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2004
  16. Certainly does. However, with good competition it will drive prices of
    others down.
    Doesn't everybody in the country go through the Southern Cross anyway?
    Something Telecom are a large stake holder in. I would be interested to know
    what the national or international bandwidth to user ratio is regardless of
    connection speed out of Orcon as apposed to Telecom.

    Cheers,
    Gavin.

    Gavin Stephens, Jul 28, 2004
  17. Chris

    Mutlley Guest

    Sounds Good.

    Those that are on Orcon already with the 256K and 10Gig package . Will
    they be upgraded to the new scheme automatically??

    TIA.

    Mutlley, Jul 28, 2004
  18. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>* 256K download, 128K upload
    >>No more Telecom fees (apart from your phoneline), so all you pay is
    >>$49.95 all up including GST.

    >>http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/jetstream/offers/bitstream/

    > Thanks Seeby, I'll study the budget over the next few days. That looks good.

    study the budget? it's less than 128k jetstart, so should be a no
    brainer... unless your on dialup currently.

    interesting actually, I notice that Telecom said that the 128k plan was
    pointless as faster options are/will be there... so why havent they
    dropped dialup yet?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  19. Chris

    EMB Guest

    Gavin Stephens wrote:

    > Certainly does. However, with good competition it will drive prices of
    > others down.
    > Doesn't everybody in the country go through the Southern Cross anyway?
    > Something Telecom are a large stake holder in. I would be interested to know
    > what the national or international bandwidth to user ratio is regardless of
    > connection speed out of Orcon as apposed to Telecom.

    Most other ISP's have signed/are now signing unbundled ADSL wholesaling
    agreements with Telecom so should also be able to offer simlar packages.
    Orcon were first up to sign by a couple of months so have lead the
    running. IIRC Ihug also own a whack of bandwidth on the SC cable - they
    should have some flexibility in their pricing as a result (when they
    make their minds up as to what they are going to offer).

    EMB, Jul 28, 2004
  20. Telecom 128/256 Plans? or really 256?

    I find it funny they will drop 128, yet stick with 128 upstream on thier 256
    plans. They still call this broadband? According to the ITU 384kbps is the
    minimum before you can steal the idea of calling it broadband. Anyway reason
    for this post.....

    I've found that if you're uploading at full throttle ie: sending an email,
    while trying to download a file, it can serverly effect download speeds to
    the same if not less than the upstream rate. I guess this is due to latency
    and round trip time for error correction for the download file? Anyone share
    some light on this?

    If it's 256 down, it should be regardless of upload speed, to me that's a
    miss-informed approach to theri services, but a great bull*&t advertising
    strategy. They should say UP TO 256kbps. Surely Telecom are not praticing
    simplex data networking? They should have the same capacity both ways at
    their end, so why lower upload speeds?

    Gavin.

    Gavin Stephens, Jul 28, 2004