    TIA

    Cath

    , Jul 18, 2004

  2. EMB Guest

    wrote:

    > Are they any good?

    Jetstart works well within the confines of what it is. You have always
    on internet and the phone line isn't tied up. The advertised 128Kb/s is
    available, latency is a bit higher than I'm happy with and you can't
    have a static IP address. Compared to a cheapie dial up account it
    seems expensive unless you also treat it as providing the equivalent of
    a 2nd phone line. It did me well for a couple of years until I moved to
    a faster ADSL offering - Jetstart is *not* broadband but it beats the
    hell out of a dial up connection.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Dogg Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:50:57 -0500,
    wrote:

    >Are they any good?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Cath

    It hasn't been called "Jetstart" for ages and who are "they"?

    Dogg, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Harry Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Are they any good?
    >>

    > Jetstart works well within the confines of what it is. You have always
    > on internet and the phone line isn't tied up. The advertised 128Kb/s is
    > available, latency is a bit higher than I'm happy with and you can't
    > have a static IP address. Compared to a cheapie dial up account it
    > seems expensive unless you also treat it as providing the equivalent of
    > a 2nd phone line. It did me well for a couple of years until I moved to
    > a faster ADSL offering - Jetstart is *not* broadband but it beats the
    > hell out of a dial up connection.

    .... and most of JetStream is also not broadband. There is no 512k option,
    only non-broadband 256k and fullspeed.

    And for some reason known only to Telecom if you go for the higher
    speed then you cannot use it as much! What Telecom (and their ilk)
    are essentially say is that if you want to have true broadband
    then you are going to have to modify your web surfing habits and not
    surf as much. Who is going to do that? No wonder the uptake is low!

    It is a bit like buying a faster car only to find that the fuel tank
    is 1/10th the size of your old car's.

    Harry, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Harry wrote:
    > ... and most of JetStream is also not broadband. There is no 512k option,
    > only non-broadband 256k and fullspeed.

    Have you had a look at the "remote office" products?
    512kb,1mb,2mb are available.
    with or without caps.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2004
  6. Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:02:26 +1200, Dogg <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:50:57 -0500,
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Are they any good?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Cath

    >It hasn't been called "Jetstart" for ages and who are "they"?

    Ummmm, I have an email here which in the header states Jetstart

    Cath

    , Jul 19, 2004
  7. Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> ... and most of JetStream is also not broadband. There is no 512k option,
    >> only non-broadband 256k and fullspeed.

    > Have you had a look at the "remote office" products?
    > 512kb,1mb,2mb are available.
    > with or without caps.

    Are they the business plans?
    Not the 10GB at $888 plan?!

    The whole point is, why aren't such plans available
    for residential users? Or is Telecom in the business
    of price gouging?

    Harry, Jul 19, 2004
  8. On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:50:57 -0500,
    wrote:

    >Are they any good?

    By the way you have phrased this it looks like you are referring to a
    company called Jetstart?

    Jetstart was the original name for Telecom's residential 128kbit
    Jetstream ADSL service. They later renamed it to "Jetstream Starter",
    then bought out so many other products starting with Jetstream such as
    "Jetstream Home" and "Jetstream Full Speed" so that no average-joe
    knows what the hell they've got till they get a $5,000 bill and told
    they've chosen the wrong plan.

    :)

    They should have just kept the Jetstart name.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jul 19, 2004
  9. Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote:

    > Jetstart was the original name for Telecom's residential 128kbit
    > Jetstream ADSL service. They later renamed it to "Jetstream Starter",
    > then bought out so many other products starting with Jetstream such as
    > "Jetstream Home" and "Jetstream Full Speed" so that no average-joe
    > knows what the hell they've got till they get a $5,000 bill and told
    > they've chosen the wrong plan.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > They should have just kept the Jetstart name.

    Everyone but XTRA *did*.

    XTRA are only one of the many companies you can buy JetStart from -- and
    quite possibly the worst.

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Jul 19, 2004
  10. On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:20:15 +1200, Bruce Hoult <>
    wrote:

    >> Jetstart was the original name for Telecom's residential 128kbit
    >> Jetstream ADSL service. They later renamed it to "Jetstream Starter",
    >> then bought out so many other products starting with Jetstream such as
    >> "Jetstream Home" and "Jetstream Full Speed" so that no average-joe
    >> knows what the hell they've got till they get a $5,000 bill and told
    >> they've chosen the wrong plan.

    >Everyone but XTRA *did*.
    >
    >XTRA are only one of the many companies you can buy JetStart from -- and
    >quite possibly the worst.

    I must agree there. I'm with ihug myself - who called theirs Jet2000
    (as per the e-mail I got 11-Sept-2002) - and is now "Jetstream
    Starter". Even at time of inception it was twice the megabyte limit of
    xtra's offering.

    Problem is it's crappy old xtra with the in-your-face advertising of
    the service.. ol' Meet George Jetstream on TV showing what broadband
    can do, shame he didn't mention that the price to stream videos at any
    decent rate will want you to re-mortgage your house.

    Kristofer Clayton, Jul 19, 2004
  11. Harry wrote:
    >>Have you had a look at the "remote office" products?
    >>512kb,1mb,2mb are available.
    >>with or without caps.

    > Are they the business plans?

    yes.
    > Not the 10GB at $888 plan?!

    no

    > The whole point is, why aren't such plans available
    > for residential users? Or is Telecom in the business
    > of price gouging?

    They are available for those that wish to have them as far as I know.
    Talk to your account manager.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2004
  12. Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >>>Have you had a look at the "remote office" products?
    >>>512kb,1mb,2mb are available.
    >>>with or without caps.

    >> Are they the business plans?

    > yes.
    >> Not the 10GB at $888 plan?!

    > no
    >
    >> The whole point is, why aren't such plans available
    >> for residential users? Or is Telecom in the business
    >> of price gouging?

    > They are available for those that wish to have them as far as I know.
    > Talk to your account manager.

    I haven't got an "account manager".
    And I haven't got a "remote office".

    Is it a secret product? Like an under-the-counter product only for
    people crazy enough to ask about it.

    Or are you just making it up as you go?

    Harry, Jul 20, 2004
  13. Harry wrote:
    > I haven't got an "account manager".
    > And I haven't got a "remote office".

    ring up and ask.

    > Is it a secret product? Like an under-the-counter product only for
    > people crazy enough to ask about it.

    I guess it must be.

    > Or are you just making it up as you go?

    nope, we use it at work.(not HCO, my other work).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2004
  14. Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> I haven't got an "account manager".
    >> And I haven't got a "remote office".

    > ring up and ask.

    ring up who?

    >> Is it a secret product? Like an under-the-counter product only for
    >> people crazy enough to ask about it.

    > I guess it must be.
    >
    >> Or are you just making it up as you go?

    > nope, we use it at work.(not HCO, my other work).

    how much does it cost? or is that a secret too?

    Harry, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Harry wrote:
    >>>I haven't got an "account manager".
    >>>And I haven't got a "remote office".

    >>ring up and ask.

    > ring up who?

    errr, Telecom maybe?

    >>>Or are you just making it up as you go?

    >>nope, we use it at work.(not HCO, my other work).

    > how much does it cost? or is that a secret too?

    We use it in a few areas, and also have quite a few other Telecom links
    too and have a discount because of that, and I don't really feel like
    sharing it at the moment.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2004
  16. Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>ring up and ask.

    >> ring up who?

    > errr, Telecom maybe?

    >>>nope, we use it at work.(not HCO, my other work).

    >> how much does it cost? or is that a secret too?

    > We use it in a few areas, and also have quite a few other Telecom links
    > too and have a discount because of that, and I don't really feel like
    > sharing it at the moment.

    Why not? What is the problem with NZers?
    Whenever the subject of money is raised they all of a sudden
    go very quiet.

    Besides, why are you suggesting I get something which
    you get at a discounted rate? How can I get that?

    And why not tell me what the non-discounted rate is?
    Or is that top secret too?

    Harry, Jul 20, 2004
  17. Harry wrote:
    > Why not? What is the problem with NZers?
    > Whenever the subject of money is raised they all of a sudden
    > go very quiet.

    It's private business, why should I tell you?

    > Besides, why are you suggesting I get something which
    > you get at a discounted rate? How can I get that?

    I wasn't suggesting it, only stating that it is available if you ask.

    > And why not tell me what the non-discounted rate is?
    > Or is that top secret too?

    I don't know what the non-discounted rate is, cant say I look at the
    bills that often, not my job.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2004
  18. Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> Why not? What is the problem with NZers?
    >> Whenever the subject of money is raised they all of a sudden
    >> go very quiet.

    > It's private business, why should I tell you?
    >
    >> Besides, why are you suggesting I get something which
    >> you get at a discounted rate? How can I get that?

    > I wasn't suggesting it, only stating that it is available if you ask.
    >
    >> And why not tell me what the non-discounted rate is?
    >> Or is that top secret too?

    > I don't know what the non-discounted rate is, cant say I look at the
    > bills that often, not my job.

    Then how do you know you're not pay $888 per month for 10GB?

    Harry, Jul 21, 2004
  19. Harry wrote:
    > Then how do you know you're not pay $888 per month for 10GB?

    I know that our Telecom bill is only a little over 4x that, and ~$1300
    is for one service, and we have 4 others that cost ~$1000...
    The others fit into the rest with cells/tolls etc.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2004
  20. Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> Then how do you know you're not pay $888 per month for 10GB?

    > I know that our Telecom bill is only a little over 4x that, and ~$1300
    > is for one service, and we have 4 others that cost ~$1000...
    > The others fit into the rest with cells/tolls etc.

    If you moved to Australia you could get full-speed 64GB/mo on a personal
    plan for $150/mo. Or 12GB/mo on a business plan (high reliability)
    for $245/mo.

    Your business would grow faster because your overheads would be a lot lower.

    BTW your electricity would be about $0.10/kWHr during peak hours.
    And your gas would be $0.015/kWHr. More savings.
    And a phone call from Sydney/Auckland would cost you $0.24 ($2 cap) during
    peak hours instead of the $0.69 that Telecom charges for Auckland/Sydney.

    And did I mention - the company tax rate is 30%.
    And if your only income is interest/dividends then unlike NZ you will get
    low-income tax rebates. NZ seems to extract a huge portion of its taxes
    from the poorest people.

    Personally I cannot understand how businesses can survive in NZ.

    Harry, Jul 21, 2004