jetstart ISP's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by tim, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. tim

    tim Guest

    hey yall, can somebody please give me the lowdown on what are the best ISP's
    to get jetstart thru, ie largest cap + best service. There was a big post
    just the other day about jetstream but despite my opinions on that thread
    and my moral ojections to supporting a company that is blatently abusing its
    power I have decided to sell my soul to the devil and get jetstart anyway
    because I have no other realistic options!!! I am angry but I need always on
    Internet connectivity as I am (partly) working from home on project work so
    WTF can u do u know?

    hmm, its probably a simple answer to this as i doubt there are more than 2-3
    good ISP's anyway... lol I have no idea and can't be assed sorting thru
    local ISP webpages (i have been in noodleland for a year so not up with the
    play). I checked the nz.comp posts for the last six months but didn't see
    this topic specifically mentioned...

    please keep the thread on topic, no i don't own this thread but lets make it
    useful and show our maturity this time ok... <g>

    also, anything i should be wary about? installation/service wise...

    cheers

    tim, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Orcon seems to be a good option. $39.95 for 15GB of international traffic,
    $19.95 for the 5GB plan.

    I have a few small complaints that are hardly worth mentioning, and one big
    complaint - their e-mail server(s)!

    I am certain a portion of my e-mail disappears. I got some e-mail from
    Yahoo! Groups for a short period when they 'upgraded' their e-mail server
    that I should have been getting for the 12 months prior to that, but lately
    I haven't been getting this mail again... stupid spam filtering rules I
    suspect. I also had problems getting some mail from academic addresses
    within NZ, but that seems to have been resolved. And for some reason DBMail
    insists on rearranging the order of items in POP3 accounts. Their server
    also seems to stop responding if sending mail to a system with no reverse
    lookup.

    One neat feature is their free content filtering... problem is it complains
    if a URL has 'sex' in it, which is hardly an uncommon thing to find when
    submitting forms that contain a 'sex' field for gender.

    Aside from their dodgy e-mail, I would highly recommend them. I suspect most
    of my problems have been caused by Telecom.

    Avoid Dynalink routers, they don't supply adequate firmware support, even
    for models that are 'current'.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 30, 2003

  3. tim

    tim Guest

    hi peter,

    yeah maxnet sounds ok :)

    have to laugh at theirs and others pricing for jetstream. Jetstream 20gb =
    $1600NZ
    In korea (yes i know this in nz blah blah) I averaged around 250/150gb
    up/down respectively per month for about 10 months straight. It cost me
    around $25NZ per month and there was no connection fee.. different world eh
    <g>

    ISP Cap (gb) Cost ($)
    ihug 10 35
    inspire 10 35
    maxnet 12 33
    orcon 15 40
    paradise 10 30
    quicksilver 10 35
    wave ?
    webworld 10 40

    nb not comprehensive but u get the idea...

    so either maxnet looks pretty damn good..

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > this quote is from tim of Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:19 :
    > > hey yall, can somebody please give me the lowdown on what are the best
    > > ISP's to get jetstart thru, ie largest cap + best service.

    > Maxnet works fine for me.
    > About $33/month for 12GB international + unlimited NZ
    >
    > There was a problem with newsgroups, but this seems to be fixed since

    about
    > April.
    > Help desk folk have always been quite good.
    >

    > > also, anything i should be wary about? installation/service wise...

    > Watch out you don't live too far from the phone exchange. I live almost

    3km

    tim, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Yes, there are groups with those names on the Orcon server. AFAIK the Orcon
    news service is still supplied by Asia Online.

    Of the warez groups containing the word 'warez', only two appear to be
    active.

    The multimedia and mp3 groups appear to be mostly active, althought I can't
    comment on content or completeness as I don't subscribe to any of these
    groups.

    Orcon most probably still uses a sucking arrangement to obtain news from
    Asia Online, which last I knew was also sucking from another site.
    Therefore, it is quite likely you can access any of these groups once they
    are cached, which simply requires reading a message in the group.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 31, 2003
  5. tim

    PaulW Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote:

    >Orcon seems to be a good option. $39.95 for 15GB of international traffic,
    >$19.95 for the 5GB plan.
    >
    >I have a few small complaints that are hardly worth mentioning, and one big
    >complaint - their e-mail server(s)!
    >
    >I am certain a portion of my e-mail disappears. I got some e-mail from
    >Yahoo! Groups for a short period when they 'upgraded' their e-mail server
    >that I should have been getting for the 12 months prior to that, but lately
    >I haven't been getting this mail again... stupid spam filtering rules I
    >suspect. I also had problems getting some mail from academic addresses
    >within NZ, but that seems to have been resolved. And for some reason DBMail
    >insists on rearranging the order of items in POP3 accounts. Their server
    >also seems to stop responding if sending mail to a system with no reverse
    >lookup.

    This happened to me last Friday on Orcon. All my Yahoo group mail
    bounced. I had to go to Yahoo groups and unbouce it. Seems to happen
    about once every few months..

    PaulW, Aug 31, 2003
  6. tim

    tim Guest

    hmm, think maybe i should start subscribing to local ISP support newsgroups
    before purchasing eh...

    tim, Aug 31, 2003
  7. PaulW wrote:
    > This happened to me last Friday on Orcon. All my Yahoo group mail
    > bounced. I had to go to Yahoo groups and unbouce it. Seems to happen
    > about once every few months..

    That's because Yahoo keeps being added to spamming blacklists worldwide. I
    don't know why the ISPs don't just add another filter that says that Yahoo
    is never to be blocked.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 31, 2003
  8. tim

    tim Guest

    hi aaron,

    yes sorry my bad. I was refering to gigabytes in both cases below....

    =

    tim, Sep 1, 2003
  9. tim

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bitj1i$p46$>, says...
    > PaulW wrote:
    > > This happened to me last Friday on Orcon. All my Yahoo group mail
    > > bounced. I had to go to Yahoo groups and unbouce it. Seems to happen
    > > about once every few months..

    > That's because Yahoo keeps being added to spamming blacklists worldwide. I

    Bulldust

    Mainlander, Sep 2, 2003