Jet database engine/ASP error in Windows XP 64-bit edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by SEFL, May 14, 2006.

  1. SEFL

    SEFL Guest

    Hi there,

    I tried to set up IIS on my 64-bit box that I just got. I build sites
    using Active Server Pages, so I wanted to test out the pages locally
    without having to upload them each time.

    Anyway, I've got IIS and ASP installed and working correctly, except
    that every time I try to open/access a database, I receive the
    following error:

    ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'

    Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

    The last line of code in this section throws the error.

    set Connect = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Connect.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
    Connect.Mode = 3
    Connect.Open "Data Source=" & Data_Source

    Where Data_Source is a variable containing a DB path that is passed to
    a sub to open the database (standard Jet database connection stuff).

    >From what I've read on the subject, it appears that Jet database

    connections aren't supported within XP 64-bit, but I find that kind of
    hard to believe since well...that's all MS-type stuff.

    So...I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.

    Any advice? Thanks.

    Adam
    http://www.searchenginefriendlylayouts.com

    SEFL, May 14, 2006

  2. SEFL wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I tried to set up IIS on my 64-bit box that I just got. I build sites
    >using Active Server Pages, so I wanted to test out the pages locally
    >without having to upload them each time.
    >
    >Anyway, I've got IIS and ASP installed and working correctly, except
    >that every time I try to open/access a database, I receive the
    >following error:
    >
    >ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'
    >
    >Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.
    >
    >The last line of code in this section throws the error.
    >
    > set Connect = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > Connect.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
    > Connect.Mode = 3
    > Connect.Open "Data Source=" & Data_Source
    >
    >Where Data_Source is a variable containing a DB path that is passed to
    >a sub to open the database (standard Jet database connection stuff).
    >
    >>From what I've read on the subject, it appears that Jet database

    >connections aren't supported within XP 64-bit, but I find that kind of
    >hard to believe since well...that's all MS-type stuff.
    >
    >So...I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.

    There is no 64-bit Jet ODBC driver, only 32-bit.

    So you need to flip IIS into 32-bit mode.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=894435

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 14, 2006

  3. SEFL

    SEFL Guest

    Thanks, Steve. The one line is exactly what I was after.

    You have served me well, kind sir, and I am in your debt.

    SEFL, May 14, 2006