Jessops UK photo store in recievership

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Whisky-dave, Jan 10, 2013.

  1. Whisky-dave

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:40:53 +0000, bugbear
    <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    : Martin Brown wrote:
    : > And a fire sale of what little old stock they have won't raise much.
    :
    : Hmm. I wonder if it's worth looking for items where warranty isn't much
    : of an issue at low prices - (Manfrotto) tripods, (Billingham) camera bags
    : at fire sale prices...

    Are Billingham bags worth the trouble of seeking them out at fire sale prices?
    Their list prices certainly appear exhorbitant, and I've never actually met
    anybody who carried one.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 13, 2013

  2. Whisky-dave

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 12/01/2013 03:08, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:10:50 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    > wrote:
    > : On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > :
    > : >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <>
    > : >wrote:
    > : >:
    > : >: Thought it worth mentioning here.
    > : >:
    > : >: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
    > : >: the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    > : >:
    > : >:
    > : >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    > : >
    > : >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
    > : >
    > : >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
    > : >
    > : What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?
    >
    > Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
    > site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
    > CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
    > both American.

    Nah, Price-Waterhouse started in the UK in 1849 and only opened a US
    office in 1890.

    Cooper started in the UK also (1854), only Lybrand was a US firm.

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat
    Joe Kotroczo, Jan 13, 2013

  3. Whisky-dave

    David Taylor Guest

    On 13/01/2013 11:18, D.M.Chapman wrote:
    []
    > I try not to, but I can't bring myself to pay 60 quid for a memory card that
    > I can get from Amazon for Â18.
    >
    > I was willing to buy my new camera from them - couldn't decide 650d or
    > 60d so went in knowing Jessops prices were 30 quid more than amazon, but
    > willing to pay that to get some hands on experience.
    >
    > Except they had none in stock, two weeks before Christmas.
    >
    > Closest 60d they had in stock to Folkestone was in South London. Realised
    > then that they hadn't got long left...
    >
    > Still not got the camera, but it's looking like it'll be another sale to
    > amazon tbh.
    >
    > Darren

    Yes, obviously on things like memory cards they were not the best place
    to buy from, nor are many of the high-street dealers. The same applied
    to a lot of accessories. It was the more major purchases I was
    referring to, and those from perhaps a year or more back.

    Several of my recent purchases have been made at Dixons at airports, as
    they offer hands on evaluation, a good price but with high-street
    warranty support later should you need it. Amazon have been OK for me
    for small items, but not so good for higher-value ones. Luck of the
    draw, I expect.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jan 13, 2013
  4. Whisky-dave

    Peter Guest

    On 1/13/2013 12:39 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:42:19 -0500, Peter <> wrote:

    <snip> :
    > : Coopers & Lybrand was the result of a merger of Coopers, With Lybrand,
    > : Ross Brothers, & Montgomers. Coopers was a British firm, Price
    > : Waterhouse, was also basically a British firm.
    >
    > So several people have told me. I didn't know that and sure wouldn't have
    > guessed it from their U.S. persona. Oh, well, the New World Order ignores all
    > national boundaries anyway.

    I was with Lybrand prior to the merger. It was a really fun place to
    work. After the merger with Coopers, the working atmosphere changed. It
    was not a drastic change, but a gradual creeping change that started
    about a year prior to the official merger.

    --
    PeterN
    Peter, Jan 14, 2013
  5. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:08:14 AM UTC, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 13/01/2013 10:02, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > > You have never been to a jessops shop by the sound of it. Service was non-

    > > existent and the displays of dslrs were the most inconvenient you have

    > > ever seen. Staff were a rare commodity that were had to find as well.

    > > Here in Peterborough we now have NO dedicated camera shops but I will not

    > > miss Jessops.

    > Sorry to hear of your experiences.
    >

    > Not the case in Edinburgh. The Jessops staff I spoke to were
    >
    > knowledgeable and helpful, and if something was outside their scope they
    >
    > would get someone who did know. They had an excellent range of Canon
    >
    > and Nikon lenses and, at one time, would match Internet prices.
    >

    > The Leicester store I visited a couple of times was also without problem.

    Was that the original store because when I first brought from them it was mail order and I'm sure I made a cheque payable to jessops of liecester.
    A coulpe of years later there was one in London finchley and frognal was the closest tube station as I remmebr buying a lpl700 colour enlarger (or some number like that) and having to carry it home on the tube.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 14, 2013
  6. Whisky-dave

    David Taylor Guest

    On 14/01/2013 11:58, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:08:14 AM UTC, David Taylor wrote:

    []
    >> The Leicester store I visited a couple of times was also without problem.

    > Was that the original store because when I first brought from them it was mail order and I'm sure I made a cheque payable to jessops of liecester.
    > A coulpe of years later there was one in London finchley and frognal was the closest tube station as I remmebr buying a lpl700 colour enlarger (or some number like that) and having to carry it home on the tube.

    ======================================

    I like to think that it was - indeed "Jessops of Leicester" is how I
    first recall knowing them. Whether that Jessops, right in the centre of
    town, was the original, though, I don't know.

    Yes, the things I've carried home in the past! But last year the
    40-inch TV was delivered from Amazon in a van! My 35 mm kit was sold
    off some time back, including a quality (but monochrome) enlarger.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jan 14, 2013
  7. Whisky-dave

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Chris Malcolm <> wrote:

    >The people I really don't like are those who visit real shops to try
    >things out and then buy it online. It's their greed which has killed
    >local camera shops.

    I try very hard not to be one of those people, but the brick-and-mortar
    stores can make it hard sometimes. Often the sales help will recommend
    looking for an item online.

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
    Paul Ciszek, Jan 14, 2013
  8. Whisky-dave

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 11/01/2013 07:53, Martin Brown wrote:
    > On 11/01/2013 02:58, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2013-01-10 18:21:12 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    >>> <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> :
    >>> : Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >>> :
    >>> : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
    >>> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    >>> :
    >>> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    >>>
    >>> Thank you, Mr Cameron.

    > They have looked doomed for some time. The bank already owns them after
    > the previous rescue in 2009 and this year their greed and consumer
    > apathy finally killed the company. I expect it is the suppliers who will
    > take most of the hit. Former chairman blames HSBC:
    >
    > http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/former-jessops-chairman-blames-hsbc-172757216.html
    >

    > I expect he is merely out of the frying pan into the fire at HMV. HMV is
    > probably doomed too since online digital download sales of music and
    > video is even more of a threat to bricks and mortar physical stores.

    I had not expected to be proved correct quite so quickly :(
    They are now dead in the water - announced last night. Adminstrators
    will move in today to pick over the carcass 25% off fire sale now on.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073

    I wonder how long W H Smith can last now...

    We will soon have high street that consists almost entirely of empty
    boarded up units, mobile phone vendors and charity shops :(((

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jan 15, 2013
  9. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:44:39 AM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
    > On 11/01/2013 07:53, Martin Brown wrote:

    > > They have looked doomed for some time. The bank already owns them after

    > > the previous rescue in 2009 and this year their greed and consumer

    > > apathy finally killed the company. I expect it is the suppliers who will

    > > take most of the hit. Former chairman blames HSBC:

    > > http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/former-jessops-chairman-blames-hsbc-172757216.html

    > > I expect he is merely out of the frying pan into the fire at HMV. HMV is

    > > probably doomed too since online digital download sales of music and

    > > video is even more of a threat to bricks and mortar physical stores.

    > I had not expected to be proved correct quite so quickly :(
    >
    > They are now dead in the water - announced last night. Adminstrators
    >
    > will move in today to pick over the carcass 25% off fire sale now on.
    >

    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21021073
    >

    > I wonder how long W H Smith can last now...
    >

    > We will soon have high street that consists almost entirely of empty
    >
    > boarded up units, mobile phone vendors and charity shops :(((

    You forgot the big highstreet retailers like poundshop ;-)

    Although in walthamstow & Leyton they seem to be taken over by 99p shops .

    Nailbars now there's a curious business.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 15, 2013
  10. David Taylor <> wrote:
    > On 13/01/2013 10:02, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > []
    >> You have never been to a jessops shop by the sound of it. Service was non-
    >> existent and the displays of dslrs were the most inconvenient you have
    >> ever seen. Staff were a rare commodity that were had to find as well.
    >>
    >> Here in Peterborough we now have NO dedicated camera shops but I will not
    >> miss Jessops.

    > Sorry to hear of your experiences.

    > Not the case in Edinburgh. The Jessops staff I spoke to were
    > knowledgeable and helpful, and if something was outside their scope they
    > would get someone who did know. They had an excellent range of Canon
    > and Nikon lenses and, at one time, would match Internet prices.

    And would very rapidly acquire lenses they didn't have in the shop,
    such as the Sony lenses I bought from them -- at internet prices. But
    while they would do price matching on lenses, their lighting gear
    seemed as a policy to be stubbornly stuck at startlingly high
    prices. Which the staff always apologised very sorrowfully for.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Jan 17, 2013