Jessops UK photo store in recievership

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Whisky-dave, Jan 10, 2013.

  1. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Jan 10, 2013

  2. Whisky-dave

    MC Guest

    Whisky-dave wrote:

    > Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >
    > Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
    > the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    >

    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

    Been on the cards for ages. I don't think they will be missed, to be
    honest. I used Jessops occasionally when their influx forced the
    closing of all the independant camera and photographic outlets. I used
    them even less once internet shopping became a whole lot easier.
    Jessops has never been cheap, either. Don't get me wrong, I do not
    mind paying a little extra if I know I am going to get good customer
    service ( like I used to get at the independents) but Jessops customer
    service has never been the best it could have been and has even been
    appalling on occasion.

    MC

    MC, Jan 10, 2013

  3. Whisky-dave

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <>
    wrote:
    :
    : Thought it worth mentioning here.
    :
    : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    :
    :
    : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

    Thank you, Mr Cameron.

    And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 11, 2013
  4. Whisky-dave

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 11/01/2013 02:58, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-10 18:21:12 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >> :
    >> : Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >> :
    >> : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
    >> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    >> :
    >> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    >>
    >> Thank you, Mr Cameron.

    They have looked doomed for some time. The bank already owns them after
    the previous rescue in 2009 and this year their greed and consumer
    apathy finally killed the company. I expect it is the suppliers who will
    take most of the hit. Former chairman blames HSBC:

    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/former-jessops-chairman-blames-hsbc-172757216.html

    I expect he is merely out of the frying pan into the fire at HMV. HMV is
    probably doomed too since online digital download sales of music and
    video is even more of a threat to bricks and mortar physical stores.

    >> And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".

    Post Christmas I doubt if there are any worthwhile assets to carve up.
    You won't get much if anything for empty shop premises when there are so
    many already to choose from on the high street. And a fire sale of what
    little old stock they have won't raise much. I noticed in a Manchester
    branch last week that there was some Canon ink in old packaging on the
    racks with about two years dust on it.

    I still used my local Jessops for small sizes of printing where they
    were price competitive overnight on large runs. Sad to see them go. I
    have bought several cameras from them over the years.

    But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
    more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jan 11, 2013
  5. MC <> wrote:
    > Whisky-dave wrote:

    >> Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >>
    >> Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
    >> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    >>

    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

    > Been on the cards for ages. I don't think they will be missed, to be
    > honest. I used Jessops occasionally when their influx forced the
    > closing of all the independant camera and photographic outlets. I used
    > them even less once internet shopping became a whole lot easier.
    > Jessops has never been cheap, either. Don't get me wrong, I do not
    > mind paying a little extra if I know I am going to get good customer
    > service ( like I used to get at the independents) but Jessops customer
    > service has never been the best it could have been and has even been
    > appalling on occasion.

    Whereas the reason I've bought a few lenses at Jessops has been that
    their prices were only a little above the prices on the web, and I
    valued being able to collect it in person and if necessary being able
    to hand it back in person if there was something amiss.

    I found their customer service ok, just suffering a bit sometimes from
    the ignorance of cheap employees. When necessary being polite but
    insistent always got me up to the Person Who Knows About Photography.

    The people I really don't like are those who visit real shops to try
    things out and then buy it online. It's their greed which has killed
    local camera shops.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 11, 2013
  6. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Friday, January 11, 2013 7:53:12 AM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
    > On 11/01/2013 02:58, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > > On 2013-01-10 18:21:12 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:

    > >> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave

    > >> <>

    > >> wrote:

    > >> :

    > >> : Thought it worth mentioning here.

    > >> :

    > >> : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in

    > >> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.

    > >> :

    > >> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

    > >> Thank you, Mr Cameron.

    > They have looked doomed for some time. The bank already owns them after
    >
    > the previous rescue in 2009 and this year their greed and consumer
    >
    > apathy finally killed the company. I expect it is the suppliers who will
    >
    > take most of the hit. Former chairman blames HSBC:

    A friend of mine worked there back in 2001 they weren;t very good employers adn the managment were rather petty well her managment was.

    > http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/former-jessops-chairman-blames-hsbc-172757216.html
    >

    > I expect he is merely out of the frying pan into the fire at HMV. HMV is
    >
    > probably doomed too since online digital download sales of music and
    >
    > video is even more of a threat to bricks and mortar physical stores.

    Last I heard the mangment were pressuring the staff to cover up tattoes/peircings and to not look to 'differnt' Gettign rid of anyone that cares about the music people want to buy doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

    > >> And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

    > >> Bob

    > > This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".

    > Post Christmas I doubt if there are any worthwhile assets to carve up.
    >
    > You won't get much if anything for empty shop premises when there are so
    >
    > many already to choose from on the high street.

    The one in new oxford street might make a niced Apple store, they seem to be doping OK havign the largest sales per unit of floor area.

    > And a fire sale of what
    >
    > little old stock they have won't raise much. I noticed in a Manchester
    >
    > branch last week that there was some Canon ink in old packaging on the
    >
    > racks with about two years dust on it.
    >

    > I still used my local Jessops for small sizes of printing where they
    >
    > were price competitive overnight on large runs. Sad to see them go. I
    >
    > have bought several cameras from them over the years.
    >

    > But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
    >
    > more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.

    A friend needed one instantly and argos were closer and cheaper.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 11, 2013
  7. Whisky-dave

    AnthonyL Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:53:12 +0000, Martin Brown
    <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
    >more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.

    I called in today to see what bargains they had, in particular I was
    in the market for a decent (Manfrotto or similar) tripod.

    Their reduced value was well above internet. Popped in at the nearest
    London Camera Exchange and saved myself quite a few quid, got a head
    and a 50mm lens which they discounted for me to make a round number.

    I think in all the years I've had a choice I've never bought from
    Jessops even though I've popped in more than once.

    --
    AnthonyL

    AnthonyL, Jan 11, 2013
  8. Whisky-dave

    AnthonyL Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:12:57 GMT, d (AnthonyL)
    wrote:

    >I called in today to see what bargains they had, in particular I was
    >in the market for a decent (Manfrotto or similar) tripod.
    >
    >Their reduced value was well above internet. Popped in at the nearest
    >London Camera Exchange and saved myself quite a few quid, got a head
    >and a 50mm lens which they discounted for me to make a round number.

    Whilst I was in store one of the salesmen was reassuring a customer on
    the phone that their order was safe. Hearing now that all stores are
    closing down maybe I should have hung on for an houir or two to see
    what price I could have got for the tripod.

    --
    AnthonyL

    AnthonyL, Jan 11, 2013
  9. Whisky-dave

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:12:10 GMT, d (AnthonyL)
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:12:57 GMT, d (AnthonyL)
    >wrote:
    >>
    >>I called in today to see what bargains they had, in particular I was
    >>in the market for a decent (Manfrotto or similar) tripod.
    >>
    >>Their reduced value was well above internet. Popped in at the nearest
    >>London Camera Exchange and saved myself quite a few quid, got a head
    >>and a 50mm lens which they discounted for me to make a round number.
    >>

    >Whilst I was in store one of the salesmen was reassuring a customer on
    >the phone that their order was safe. Hearing now that all stores are
    >closing down maybe I should have hung on for an houir or two to see
    >what price I could have got for the tripod.

    When Ritz closed their local stores they had huge sales. But, the
    sale items were store-brand items that had been over-priced for the
    quality offered. Some larger items like umbrellas and light stands
    were priced right, but it seemed like Ritz shipped all of the smaller
    items back to headquarters. If there was a "real deal", it had to be
    something odd that just happened to be what someone needed at the
    time.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2013
  10. Whisky-dave

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 11/01/2013 09:10, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <>
    >> wrote:
    >> :
    >> : Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >> :
    >> : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    >> :
    >> :
    >> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    >>
    >> Thank you, Mr Cameron.
    >>
    >> And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
    >>

    > What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?

    It's actually more complicated than that. PwC is not a single company,
    it's a collection of companies with the same name and owners. There is
    an US firm, but the headquarters for the whole group of firms in London.

    --
    audentes fortuna iuvat

    Joe Kotroczo, Jan 11, 2013
  11. Whisky-dave

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 10, 8:31 am, Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >
    > Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UKand employs about 2,000 staff.
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

    Another victim of European "tax rape" (goods and property) goes down
    the tubes. No wonder internet purchasing is growing faster there than
    in the U.S.

    RichA, Jan 12, 2013
  12. Whisky-dave

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >:
    : >:
    : >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    : >
    : >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
    : >
    : >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
    : >
    : What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?

    Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
    site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
    CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
    both American.

    Or are you referring to a British company that makes barrels?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 12, 2013
  13. Whisky-dave

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:08:32 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:10:50 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <>
    >: >wrote:
    >: >:
    >: >: Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >: >:
    >: >: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
    >: >: the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    >: >:
    >: >:
    >: >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    >: >
    >: >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
    >: >
    >: >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
    >: >
    >: What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?
    >
    >Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
    >site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
    >CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
    >both American.

    Actually, both were truly international and both have their original
    roots in the UK. Samuel Price started his firm in London and
    Waterhouse came in later. They were in business for 40 years before
    they expanded to the US.

    Cooper also started out as a UK accountancy firm. Lybrand was added
    when the firm expanded to the US.

    It's hard to say either firm, before the merger, was "American". As
    LLPs, the American firm and the UK firm were autonomous entities. The
    present amalgamation is also an LLP construction.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 12, 2013
  14. Whisky-dave

    David Taylor Guest

    On 10/01/2013 13:31, Whisky-dave wrote:

    > Thought it worth mentioning here.
    >
    > Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    >

    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

    Yes, very sad. I think that leaves just Currys/Dixons as our photo
    stores in the centre of Edinburgh now.

    I supported Jessops as much as possible, and bought from them when I
    could (when they had the items available). I'm not one of these people
    who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving £5 by buying on
    the Internet.

    Sorry for the staff.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jan 12, 2013
  15. Whisky-dave

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 12/01/2013 15:12, RichA wrote:
    > "David Taylor" <david- I'm not one of these people
    >> who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving £5 by buying on the
    >> Internet.
    >>
    >> Sorry for the staff.

    > Everyone seems to say that here, yet the store is gone. So I presume Mr.
    > and Ms. Joe Average don't value the up front items and service the same way?

    They just use their mobile phone to take snaps and computer to print
    them. No need for camera dealers any more to process film or prints.

    Joe public doesn't notice that inkjet ink costs more per g than heroin.

    Basically bricks and mortar photo stores like Jessops with limited stock
    are neither fish nor fowl. Insufficient high end gear to get experts to
    go and insufficient market share with the general public.

    They have been limping along as a zombie for about three years now.

    I fully expect HMV or Smiths to be next to vanish off the high street.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jan 12, 2013
  16. Whisky-dave

    Peter Guest

    On 1/11/2013 9:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:10:50 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    > wrote:
    > : On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > :
    > : >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <>
    > : >wrote:
    > : >:
    > : >: Thought it worth mentioning here.
    > : >:
    > : >: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
    > : >: the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
    > : >:
    > : >:
    > : >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    > : >
    > : >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
    > : >
    > : >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
    > : >
    > : What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?
    >
    > Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
    > site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
    > CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
    > both American.
    >
    > Or are you referring to a British company that makes barrels?

    Coopers & Lybrand was the result of a merger of Coopers, With Lybrand,
    Ross Brothers, & Montgomers. Coopers was a British firm, Price
    Waterhouse, was also basically a British firm.

    --
    PeterN

    Peter, Jan 12, 2013
  17. Whisky-dave

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > wrote:
    : > :
    : > : >:
    : > : >:
    : > : >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
    : > : >
    : > : >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
    : > : >
    : > : >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
    : > : >
    : > : What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?
    : >
    : > Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
    : > site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
    : > CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
    : > both American.
    : >
    : > Or are you referring to a British company that makes barrels?
    : >
    :
    : Coopers & Lybrand was the result of a merger of Coopers, With Lybrand,
    : Ross Brothers, & Montgomers. Coopers was a British firm, Price
    : Waterhouse, was also basically a British firm.

    So several people have told me. I didn't know that and sure wouldn't have
    guessed it from their U.S. persona. Oh, well, the New World Order ignores all
    national boundaries anyway.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 13, 2013
  18. Whisky-dave

    David Taylor Guest

    On 13/01/2013 10:02, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    []
    > You have never been to a jessops shop by the sound of it. Service was non-
    > existent and the displays of dslrs were the most inconvenient you have
    > ever seen. Staff were a rare commodity that were had to find as well.
    >
    > Here in Peterborough we now have NO dedicated camera shops but I will not
    > miss Jessops.

    Sorry to hear of your experiences.

    Not the case in Edinburgh. The Jessops staff I spoke to were
    knowledgeable and helpful, and if something was outside their scope they
    would get someone who did know. They had an excellent range of Canon
    and Nikon lenses and, at one time, would match Internet prices.

    The Leicester store I visited a couple of times was also without problem.

    They will be sadly missed here, as will be the Jacobs which opened next
    door but one...
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jan 13, 2013
  19. Whisky-dave

    D.M.Chapman Guest

    In article <kcr82t$51j$>,
    David Taylor <> wrote:

    >I supported Jessops as much as possible, and bought from them when I
    >could (when they had the items available). I'm not one of these people
    >who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving £5 by buying on
    >the Internet.

    I try not to, but I can't bring myself to pay 60 quid for a memory card that
    I can get from Amazon for Â18.

    I was willing to buy my new camera from them - couldn't decide 650d or
    60d so went in knowing Jessops prices were 30 quid more than amazon, but
    willing to pay that to get some hands on experience.

    Except they had none in stock, two weeks before Christmas.

    Closest 60d they had in stock to Folkestone was in South London. Realised
    then that they hadn't got long left...

    Still not got the camera, but it's looking like it'll be another sale to
    amazon tbh.

    Darren

    D.M.Chapman, Jan 13, 2013
  20. Whisky-dave

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 13/01/2013 11:18, D.M.Chapman wrote:
    > In article <kcr82t$51j$>,
    > David Taylor <> wrote:
    >
    >> I supported Jessops as much as possible, and bought from them when I
    >> could (when they had the items available). I'm not one of these people
    >> who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving £5 by buying on
    >> the Internet.

    > I try not to, but I can't bring myself to pay 60 quid for a memory card that
    > I can get from Amazon for Â18.

    Or across the road at PCW/Maplins for some price inbetween.

    > I was willing to buy my new camera from them - couldn't decide 650d or
    > 60d so went in knowing Jessops prices were 30 quid more than amazon, but
    > willing to pay that to get some hands on experience.
    >
    > Except they had none in stock, two weeks before Christmas.
    >
    > Closest 60d they had in stock to Folkestone was in South London. Realised
    > then that they hadn't got long left...

    I had to travel to Leeds to get the camera I bought from them last year.
    Local branches did not have any stock (again at Xmas).

    > Still not got the camera, but it's looking like it'll be another sale to
    > amazon tbh.

    Check at least a couple of the other decent online photo dealers first.
    Amazon is not always the best price for specialist gear.

    Oh and I wouldn't order high end gear from Amazon just at the start of a
    major winter snowstorm. I made that mistake buying my K-5 and it
    languished in a big pile of unsorted mail for best part of a month!

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jan 13, 2013