Jessops sale - pathetic.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Si, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Si

    Gavin Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:14:01 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >> "Paul Walton" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:28:51 +0000, Robert wrote:

    >>> I've just tried a price match with Jessops on an Ixus 500. Again it
    >>> was about £25 over the price I gave them from the web.

    >> I've bought many things over the Internet including my computer, but
    >> in the case of a camera I was worried in case it had a fault that was
    >> not very straightforward. So, just before Christmas, I paid £30 over
    >> the cheapest web price for a camera at Jessop's - with considerable
    >> misgivings as to whether it was a sensible thing to do.
    >>
    >> Yesterday I returned it for a credit note because I didn't like the
    >> image quality. Anyone done that with an Internet sale? I was able
    >> to show by comparative printouts with pics from another camera that
    >> it was not all that good, but it would have been hard to prove that
    >> it was definitely a faulty product.

    >I also returned a Minolta A2 for similar reasons. I actually got my money
    >back, but later we bought a Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon 8400 from them
    >because of their helpful advice and good assistance in-store. And they
    >still matched Internet prices...
    >
    >Long live Jessops!

    I've just bought a Minolta A200 from them, £499 on the shelf, and they
    said they'ed do it for £429 (Bristol camera's.co.uk are doing it for
    £410 plus £10 delivery). They would not quite pricematch it as they
    said it was below cost price (I doubt that but..) They did offer me a
    1gb jessops card for £60, but as they could not tell me what the card
    speed was I declined. I can get a 80x lexar for that. Interestingly
    they only had jessops cards in stock, so they cannot be pricematched
    on them..

    Been snapping this afternoon, I'll take a look at the images later but
    I don't want to open the software packs until I know I want to keep it
    (and it's not available for download from Minolta yet). I've 30 days
    to decide either way.

    One bugbear so far is it's only usb 1 :( not great on a 8MP camera,
    but as I intend to use a usb2 photostore (Archos Gmini 220) anyway
    it's not a huge issue.

    Gavin, Jan 2, 2005

  2. > Been snapping this afternoon, I'll take a look at the images later but
    > I don't want to open the software packs until I know I want to keep it
    > (and it's not available for download from Minolta yet). I've 30 days
    > to decide either way.
    >
    > One bugbear so far is it's only usb 1 :( not great on a 8MP camera,
    > but as I intend to use a usb2 photostore (Archos Gmini 220) anyway
    > it's not a huge issue.

    Will a card reader not do away with this problem?

    Steven Campbell, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Si

    Gavin Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:08:10 -0000, "Steven Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    >> Been snapping this afternoon, I'll take a look at the images later but
    >> I don't want to open the software packs until I know I want to keep it
    >> (and it's not available for download from Minolta yet). I've 30 days
    >> to decide either way.
    >>
    >> One bugbear so far is it's only usb 1 :( not great on a 8MP camera,
    >> but as I intend to use a usb2 photostore (Archos Gmini 220) anyway
    >> it's not a huge issue.

    >Will a card reader not do away with this problem?

    It will, but on a camera thats 8MP, and images can be up to 15MB in
    raw mode it's a bit of a cheek not uncluding it.

    The similar A2 uses usb2, they've just been cheap with this.

    That said it's got really slow autofocus in lower light conditions,
    and by that I mean in the house with the lights on, taking 2 seconds
    or so to hunt and decide what to focus on, will try ourside in
    daylight later but so far I;m not too impressed.

    I have a Epson PhotoPC3000Z and to say thats a 3.3 MP camera, the
    images from the A200 are not fantastically better, I admit I've not
    fully read the manual, (cos it's only as a pdf so a pain to read) ut
    so fat it's looking like it's going back. Reading reviews I knew it
    could be a problem as it has no focus asist light but it takes longer
    to focus than the 4 year old epson...

    Gavin, Jan 3, 2005