Jessops sale - pathetic.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Si, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Si

    Bri. Guest

    In news:,
    David J Taylor typed...
    [snip]

    > I'd rather have lower prices all the year round, to be honest. Sales
    > where everyone crams in on one day are a bit of gimmick, don't you
    > think?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Definitely.
    Though I've not used many of their shops, I have visited
    Burton-on-Trent, Scarborough and Derby, and on each visit, the busy
    staff have been nothing less than polite and helpful. Also, on each
    occasion, I feel I've left the store, with a better deal than I'd
    anticipated.

    --
    Bri.

    Bri., Dec 26, 2004

  2. Si

    steven Guest

    "Si" <> wrote in message
    > Just had a look at www.jessops.com - click the Sale now on banner on the
    > homepage.
    >
    > Wow - 15 items in their sale!

    I don't get it. You want to buy more than 15 items from their sale?
    (BTW, I count 96 items)

    steven, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Si

    Tony Guest

    "SteveH" <> wrote in message

    > Given their price-match policy, then I personally don't see what
    > difference it makes anyway.

    They don't always price match. They told me the cheapest they would do a
    Konica-Minolta Z3 was £295, which they said was their "trade price". It is
    pretty generally available at around £270 including delivery, and less from
    the real cheapies.

    Howver the service in my local branch is good and they will let me play with
    cameras before buying, put batteries in so I can try taking real photos etc.
    Also their printing costs are excellent at £5 for 50 prints and the quality
    when I did it was OK. I would be sorry if they weren't there.

    --
    Tony W
    My e-mail address has no hypen

    Tony, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Si

    Si Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message

    > "Si" <> wrote in message
    >> Just had a look at www.jessops.com - click the Sale now on banner on the
    >> homepage.
    >>
    >> Wow - 15 items in their sale!
    >>

    > I don't get it. You want to buy more than 15 items from their sale?
    > (BTW, I count 96 items)

    They added the others later in the day - go figure?

    Si.

    Si, Dec 26, 2004
  5. Si

    thumps Guest

    "steeler" <> wrote in message

    > "thumps" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "steeler" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Si" <> wrote in message

    > the

    > > > Jessops are great - so long as you do not pay advertised price and

    only
    > > use
    > > > price-match. Great customer service.
    > > >

    > > Steeler,
    > >
    > > I've heard they online price match, does anyone know "who" they'll price
    > > match?
    > >

    > Managers discretion but a well known retailer in the UK (e.g. Amazon,
    > unbeatable, empire) will almost always be accepted. If you can take a
    > printout all the better. Make sure it is in the UK though - so not

    7dayshop
    > or pixmania.

    Thanks for this...

    Thumps

    thumps, Dec 26, 2004
  6. Si

    Road_Hog Guest

    "Si" <> wrote in message
    > Just had a look at www.jessops.com - click the Sale now on banner on the
    > homepage.
    >
    > Wow - 15 items in their sale!
    >
    > Jessops - go hide up your own arses.

    To be fair to them, their staff actually know about the products and they
    don't spend their time (your time) trying to flog you insurance you don't
    need.

    Road_Hog, Dec 27, 2004
  7. Si

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    >Wow - 15 items in their sale!

    Methinks you counted wrong. I saw 96 items for sale.

    Banjopikr1, Dec 27, 2004
  8. Si

    Si Guest

    "Banjopikr1" <> wrote in message
    > >Wow - 15 items in their sale!

    > Methinks you counted wrong. I saw 96 items for sale.

    Read the whole thread. When I first posted this morning - there were
    fifteen. They've subsequently added more.

    Si.

    Si, Dec 27, 2004
  9. Si

    Lansbury Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:46:56 -0000, "Si" <> wrote:

    >Precisely. If PC World can manage a half decent sale,

    you jest surely. Looked into their sale and their sale prices were at least
    10% higher than the local dealer who sells a very good range of computer
    equipment.

    -
    Lansbury
    www.uk-air.net
    FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

    Lansbury, Dec 27, 2004
  10. Si

    Si Guest

    "Lansbury" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:46:56 -0000, "Si" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Precisely. If PC World can manage a half decent sale,

    > you jest surely. Looked into their sale and their sale prices were at
    > least
    > 10% higher than the local dealer who sells a very good range of computer
    > equipment.

    Bought an R200 for £49.99 - perfectly happy with that.

    Si.

    Si, Dec 27, 2004
  11. Si

    bill Guest

    > I've heard they online price match,

    hence the reason why jessops are £millions in debt and want to do a IPO to
    raise money to pay off those debts

    bill, Dec 27, 2004
  12. Si

    Eric S Fraga Guest

    In article <cqmhq5$pmg$>, Si wrote:
    > Just had a look at www.jessops.com - click the Sale now on banner on the
    > homepage.
    >
    > Wow - 15 items in their sale!

    200+ today.

    --
    Eric S Fraga, Dept Chemical Engineering, UCL,
    ..ooo.ooo.ooo..o...o...o....oo..ooo.oo...o.....o.o....ooo.ooo.o...

    Eric S Fraga, Dec 27, 2004
  13. Si

    Si Guest

    "Eric S Fraga" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cqmhq5$pmg$>, Si wrote:
    >> Just had a look at www.jessops.com - click the Sale now on banner on the
    >> homepage.
    >>
    >> Wow - 15 items in their sale!

    > 200+ today.

    The buggers keep on adding!

    Si.

    Si, Dec 27, 2004
  14. Si

    Graham Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:37:56 -0000, Si,
    <news:cqq68t$fc1$> wrote this:

    > The buggers keep on adding!

    Are you still complaining?

    Graham, Dec 28, 2004
  15. Si

    Robert Guest

    In message <41cef645$0$16583$>, steeler
    <> writes

    >"thumps" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "steeler" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Si" <> wrote in message

    >the

    >> > Jessops are great - so long as you do not pay advertised price and only

    >> use
    >> > price-match. Great customer service.
    >> >

    >> Steeler,
    >>
    >> I've heard they online price match, does anyone know "who" they'll price
    >> match?
    >>

    >Managers discretion but a well known retailer in the UK (e.g. Amazon,
    >unbeatable, empire) will almost always be accepted. If you can take a
    >printout all the better. Make sure it is in the UK though - so not 7dayshop
    >or pixmania.

    Just tried them on matching Amazon's price for a Canon G6 and the lowest
    they would go was ukp25 over the Amazon price.
    --
    Robert

    Robert, Dec 29, 2004
  16. Robert wrote:
    []
    > Just tried them on matching Amazon's price for a Canon G6 and the
    > lowest they would go was ukp25 over the Amazon price.

    So how much of a discount on their own price was that?

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 29, 2004
  17. Si

    cglotr Guest

    they pricematched my 8800 with warehouseexpress.com, so instead of
    jessops price of £699, I paid £559, very good service :)

    Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    cglotr, Dec 29, 2004
  18. Si

    Paul Walton Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:28:51 +0000, Robert wrote:

    [snip]

    > Just tried them on matching Amazon's price for a Canon G6 and the lowest
    > they would go was ukp25 over the Amazon price.

    I've just tried a price match with Jessops on an Ixus 500. Again it was
    about £25 over the price I gave them from the web.

    Maybe this is their policy now.

    Regards,
    --
    Paul Walton
    West Midlands, UK

    Paul Walton, Jan 1, 2005
  19. Si

    Tony Guest

    "Paul Walton" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:28:51 +0000, Robert wrote:

    > I've just tried a price match with Jessops on an Ixus 500. Again it was
    > about £25 over the price I gave them from the web.

    I've bought many things over the Internet including my computer, but in the
    case of a camera I was worried in case it had a fault that was not very
    straightforward. So, just before Christmas, I paid £30 over the cheapest
    web price for a camera at Jessop's - with considerable misgivings as to
    whether it was a sensible thing to do.

    Yesterday I returned it for a credit note because I didn't like the image
    quality. Anyone done that with an Internet sale? I was able to show by
    comparative printouts with pics from another camera that it was not all that
    good, but it would have been hard to prove that it was definitely a faulty
    product.

    --
    Tony W
    My e-mail address has no hyphen

    Tony, Jan 1, 2005
  20. Tony wrote:
    > "Paul Walton" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:28:51 +0000, Robert wrote:

    >> I've just tried a price match with Jessops on an Ixus 500. Again it
    >> was about £25 over the price I gave them from the web.

    > I've bought many things over the Internet including my computer, but
    > in the case of a camera I was worried in case it had a fault that was
    > not very straightforward. So, just before Christmas, I paid £30 over
    > the cheapest web price for a camera at Jessop's - with considerable
    > misgivings as to whether it was a sensible thing to do.
    >
    > Yesterday I returned it for a credit note because I didn't like the
    > image quality. Anyone done that with an Internet sale? I was able
    > to show by comparative printouts with pics from another camera that
    > it was not all that good, but it would have been hard to prove that
    > it was definitely a faulty product.

    I also returned a Minolta A2 for similar reasons. I actually got my money
    back, but later we bought a Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon 8400 from them
    because of their helpful advice and good assistance in-store. And they
    still matched Internet prices...

    Long live Jessops!

    Cheers,
    David