    Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband connection.
    Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
    playback.
    Drummerboy, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Drummerboy

    ICee Guest

    Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:
    > I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
    > I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and
    > breaks up especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I
    > use Windows Media Player.
    > Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing
    > playback. I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+
    > processor and NVIDIA Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband
    > connection.
    > Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
    > playback.

    What motherboard do you have? Does it have a VIA chipset?
    ICee, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    Asis motherboard.........dont know about VIA.

    Drummerboy, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Drummerboy

    ICee Guest

    Asus make a lot of motherboards. Which model is it? If you're not
    sure, run Belarc Advisor; it will give you info on hardware.

    ICee, Jul 22, 2004
  5. > I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
    > I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and breaks up
    > especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I use Windows Media
    > Player.
    > Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing playback.
    > I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+ processor and NVIDIA
    > Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband connection.
    > Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
    > playback.

    What operating system? Are chipset and soundcard drivers up to date?
    David Matthew Wood, Jul 22, 2004
  6. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    Asis motherboard........drivers up tp date as well.

    Drummerboy, Jul 22, 2004
  7. > Asis motherboard........drivers up tp date as well.

    And the operating system is.........
    David Matthew Wood, Jul 22, 2004
  8. Drummerboy

    Me Guest

    Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:

    > I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
    > I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and
    > breaks up especially when viewing web pages

    One of Winamp's preferences is to set its process priority. Make
    sure it's set to High (but not Realtime) and this may fix it.
    Me, Jul 22, 2004
  9. Drummerboy

    Drummerboy Guest

    Can you help me locate this setting as I cannot find it within my version of
    Winamp which is 2.91.

    Drummerboy, Jul 23, 2004
  10. Drummerboy

    Me Guest

    Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:

    > Can you help me locate this setting as I cannot find it within my
    > version of Winamp which is 2.91.

    I'm using v2.65 so perhaps it's changed... but in v2.65 you:

    (1) Press CTRL+P to open preferences.
    (2) Click "Options" in the left-hand pane's tree view.
    (3) At the bottom in the right-hand pane is "Process priority class",
    which is set to Normal by default... so slide it to High.

    This makes Winamp get a bit more CPU power than most other apps,
    which stopped the skipping and jerky playback for me.
    Me, Jul 25, 2004